Namibian Air Force Chengdu F-7

Rizon

Just got back from a holiday in the Eastern Cape, and remembering an earlier photo you had posted here, I tried Windhoek Lager, and then graduated to Windhoek Draught, for my 10 days down there, instead of the Castle Lager I remembered from my youth.

Good stuff - thanks for the tip. Sorry I can't reciprocate with any hints on the Humbrol.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't forgotten about this one. The spanner in the works was that Humbrol Satin Cote. After taking forever and a half to dry, I applied a wash with turps and enamels, only to find the stuff dissolving again. So I had to switch to acrylic paints for the weathering. And in the process learn how to do weathering washes with said acrylics. What I settled on was treating hte surface with water and a bit of Windowlene first, and then apply the wash, with some Windowlene also mixed into the wash.

First I applied an overall wash of a dirty white. This serves to break the brightness of of paint and add a bit of fading. I applied the wash in a stippled fashion, to give a bit of a blotchy appearance.

Then I applied some darkening washes of dirty medium grey and dark grey to the panel lines, concentrating on the areas where the fuel tanks and engine bay is. The trick is to not have everything uniformly.

I kept the weathering light, as the F-7's are still fairly new. But Namibian sun will quickly leave its mark, hence the effort with the fading of the paint work.

Now all outstanding work is a bit of detail painting on metallic surfaces and adding the last aerials and the pitot.

hdr_1405271229997_zps257c8a4c.jpg

hdr_1405271383974_zps646d36db.jpg

R

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a fantastic and inspirational build! I get nervous about adding a few details, while what you did was not just a conversion, it was pretty much a scratch-build. I am really impressed!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...