Airfix 1/24 hawker Typhoon

Algie75

Looks great though. I just hope Airfix don't get their fingers burnt with this one.

How are they going to get their fingers burned? if the kit is under £100 then they'll sell everyone they make, It seems to me that there's a little anti-Airfix bias starting up in this thread, judging by the photos that have been posted the Typhoon is at Least as good as anything from the Tami-Gawa Axis.

But if it was one of their kits it'd be at least £150.

Airfix looking at the photo's it'll take something pretty special to beat the Typhoon, well done for sticking two fingers up to the knockers once again, five years ago

you stunned us with the Mosquito, and by the looks of it the Typhoon is even better!

Bravo!

And long may it continue.

• Like 5

I'd buy that before a 1/24 Typhoon any day!.

:winkgrin:

Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by this "big announcement"?

Looks great though. I just hope Airfix don't get their fingers burnt with this one.

They won't of that I am sure

A VC10 would be nice but truly not sure it would be a volume seller. It has a passionate fan base and rightly so as arguably the best looking airliner ever or second to Concorde but would it outsell this bird? Airfix sales people don't think so. Still one day I hope for all the VC10 lovers that they get a nice 1/48 one off Zoukei Mura

Looks fantastic, but after the release price of the Javelin I'm a little concerned of what the price is going to be - if its way over the £100, it's going to put a lot of people off. I'm sure Airfix will attempt to get the price down as low as they can... :)

Put me down for one whatever the cost tho!

Pffffffffff Airfix really ... look at the second row rivets on the wing .. it's missing four rivets :nono: the rivet counters will be up in arms :fight:

(to the wife)

Darling do you know that life saving operation you need and we have to pay for? ... well I'm afraid the doctor has cancelled it until further notice :bye:

your loving husband

Norm

• Like 1

I took some pictures of it earlier but they came out rubbish. Seeing it in the flesh was incredible. The skinning has been moulded with subtle stress ripples as you would typically see on the panelling. Seeing it built up, it just didn't look like it was made of plastic. I'm sold !

• Like 1

I was at the airfix r and d lecture today, and spoke to the designer afterwards. The kit offers both tails and both props, and three types of spinner (two four blade variants). The rear deck behind the cockpit has moulded inside where to cut for the car door version, so one is probably coming if this sells well. The box art is scheme A, and depicts Charles Green's first rocket attacks on D-day. The B scheme is a plainer typhoon, C scheme will be the sharkmouth. Can't remember what they said the D scheme was. They tested different skin effects and rivets by actually having a test panel tooled and injected. The 1:72 Tiffie was the designer's first model for Air fix, and was a trial for this big one. It was whilst the designer was measuring for this big cockpit that he lost the infamous Hornsby tape measure in the Typhoon cockpit (that was found and reported online) luckily the 72 release was a good cover story for that slip-up.

The Airfix researcher (there is only one for all airfix releases) seems opposed to ever doing a VC-10, so don't hold your breath for that one.

Nice enough (great detail) but the Typhoon does nothing for me... there was some speculation of a jet, maybe even a Me262, still that's £100 I can now spend on something else.... But I will still look forward to seeing a few built next year.

No, I thought the same. Looks like stressed skin to me in the photo.

Yes, it looked as though the skin was slightly depressed where the rivet lines were, absolutely amazing looking model. It was sitting in a mirror and the wheel bays and flap interiors looked good too.

Steve.

No 'experts' on to moan about panel lines or (my favourite) 'accuracy' issues based on photographs yet? Or perhaps a whinge about decals- that's usually a 'given'.

I think it looks pretty smart, and well done to Airfix for having the balls to produce it.

Edited by ta152e

What a beast!

Given Sir Sidney Camm's design evolutions are we likely to see a progression of Typhoon-Tempest-Sea Fury on this?

Well lets cross the fingers that the others will appear in 1:72 re-tooled. This is just a fantastic production from Airfix, really shows how far they have come. I suspect that with a great 1:72 Typhoon issue, up-scaling the design was an easy (relative) job, so lets see what they announce in December. A Tempest or /and Sea Fury would be just sweet.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Airfix are deliberately shooting themselves in the foot?

The farce with the Mosquito shows 1/24 is just to darn big. 1/32 and they'd sell shiploads, here and in the States. One production run and then into the remaindered bins for the rest.

Either way, zero interest co-efficient here. Just can't understand their logic.

W

I saw these spruces this morning. If they had been displayed on the Tamiya stand I honestly don't think anyone would have questioned it. As good as anything I have ever seen. Even the resin guys will be struggling finding anything to improve on.

• Like 1

I suppose now we all know why their 1/72 kit looked so good.

Seems like the R & D department spent many many hours researching the real thing and talking to Tiffy experts like Chris Thomas.

It seems like going BIG is the latest craze at the moment, so lets not scorn Airfix for dipping their toes back into the large scale market (first started back in 1970 with their Spitfire 1 ??).

I've got way to many unbuilt kits at the moment, however like the Javelin I'll probably get way too excited and throw my empty wallet around when June 2014 eventually arrives.

Cheers .. and well done Airfix - Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Airfix are deliberately shooting themselves in the foot?

The farce with the Mosquito shows 1/24 is just to darn big.

Was it? Airfix had to do 2 additional production runs of the mossie to keep up with demand! You may not see them at shows or clubs built up but they sold a shed load of them, more than enough.

1/24 has been an airfix staple, I enjoyed building the spit many years ago, and the hurri not too long ago.

Some one on here posted "Airfix take my money" I am with them on that, was contemplating a big purchase next year, so now my money will goto airfix, even in 1/24 these type of kits are not massive, just big.

Julien

• Like 6

W

Maybe it's just you.

Why would they deliberately shoot themselves in the foot? As long as one production run covers their costs and makes them a profit then they have done their job well.

Plus the days of the £100 Christmas present for little Johnny aren't that far away, look at the cost of a couple of games for a game station. As a 12 year old this would have been top of my Christams list, whether I made a good job of it or not.

• Like 3

The farce with the Mosquito shows 1/24 is just to darn big. 1/32 and they'd sell shiploads, here and in the States. One production run and then into the remaindered bins for the rest.

Either way, zero interest co-efficient here. Just can't understand their logic.

W

I agree.

I'm so damn uninterested, I think I might get myself a couple of these to satisfy the schemes I want to do ;)

• Like 1

Even the resin guys will be struggling finding anything to improve on.

There's still a market for AM resin though. That engine looks superb but it is crying out to be displayed in a diorama. The AM resin could be 1/24 groundcrew figures.