Airfix 1/24 hawker Typhoon

Algie75

So the WW2 Tiffy is up for release hopefully for the D Day Anniversary next year. It looks gorgeous - well the test piece does. The cockpit cage does it for me. Price around £90.

I got a whole bunch of photo's and it does look great....but there is a strong rumour that they will also be bringing out a Shackleton.

I wonder why airfix so far seem to be shying away from 32nd scale? I think possibly I'd be more tempted by this if this were in 32 (to go with other stuff I have in the stash) but that being said, it does look rather nice! Well done Airfix :clap:

Yes, it does look like an amazing piece of work, but I agree that 1/32 would have been more practical for a lot of people, (me).

BB

I have solved the issue of space and am buying a big glass cabinet to put in my garage.

Spitfire 1a

Hurricane 1

Typhoon (late 4 blade prop)

The forthcoming (I hope) Spitfire XIVe high back or XII

Mosquito

1/24 scale heaven! :-)

Seeing as Airfix have a RNZAF love affair in 1/24 (jericho Mossie & Al Deere's KL- B Spitfire I hope the Typhoon includes Desmond Scott's aircraft.

Typhoon Pilot is one of my favourite books, still have the original copy I got when I was 12.

• Like 2

Covered by rubber sleeves (of your chosen variety and/or chemist.)

Who will be the first aftermarker company to come out with a packet of, ahem, rubber sleeves ?

started reading this thread then started skipping through it as for every person that liked it, someone else hates it for one reason or another ( obvious 50/50 i guess), one thing did surprise me was the amount of people that seem to take the choice of 1/24 Typhoon as a personal affront , or believe its a huge mistake, anyway, heres my 2 pennorth....

Its superb, 1/24 and a Typhoon are a match made in heaven, having perused the parts and built ups for some time, it is truly truly the best kit i have ever seen and i believe has raised the bar far far above anything else of late, i have just completed a Tamiya Corsair and it was a beautiful kit but has no where near the character and pattina that Airfix have managed to include in the Typhoon.

Before anyone points out, im fully aware that the Corsair is 1/32 but theres no reason quilting and such like couldnt have been included in the kit if Tamiya had decided to do so, ( It was done quite well on the fairly recent 1/32 Sabre by kinetic/Italeri,

basically i think any other company who releases a new' superkit' that isnt already at an advanced stage of production has their work cut out matching this Quality from Airfix and i bet theres few that will be willing or able too.

It will IMHO be a long time untill we see a kit of this quality released again and im pleases that its Airfix that have done it and just totally lucky i guess that its an aircraft i love in a scale i love, i hope they sell bucket loads of them and they sell out as quickly as possible( which im entirley sure they will,) and Airfix go on to lead the way in large scale kits.

At £ 90 ish i can see myself buyin 3 or 4

Edited by markjames68
  • Like 3

I hope in metal canons... The solid muzzle of barrel looks really ugly...

I'm sure Master will be all over that job for those that want to tip the £100 mark. Some of us will take a drill to the tips, some of us will paint the ends black, some weirdos will make little 1:24 rubber johnnies to put over each one, and some will wait (semi)patiently for aftermarket barrels to come out. I think I'd be in the latter camp, although I'm not so sure about the patient part :)

I'm sure Master will be all over that job for those that want to tip the £100 mark. Some of us will take a drill to the tips, some of us will paint the ends black, some weirdos will make little 1:24 rubber johnnies to put over each one, and some will wait (semi)patiently for aftermarket barrels to come out. I think I'd be in the latter camp, although I'm not so sure about the patient part :)

I've seen what you can do with a plastic kit - get the micro drills out ya lazy git :P

I spoke to Master on Saturday about that Mike. Naturally they said they needed a base kit first of all and there was nothing in our dialogue which suggested that they would do other than join the party.

Happy days.

Steve

.75mm - .8mm drill + pin vice; it's called modelling.

Cut it out ......MODELLING !!!!! Blasphemy sir !!!!

You do REALISE very few people these days can actually do this don't you ?

Better it is to whine and moan and tear things down building ones ego than actually modelling and building something from a kit or heaven forbid scratch build or resin etc !!!!!

( i jest okay i jest.......)

• Like 3

Right, I've been lurking about this thread long enough, time to get my tuppence in, for what it's worth (uh, two cents?). This looks like an amazing kit - just the amount of detail on that monster 24-cylinder Sabre is remarkable. Mind you, wait a tick, did someone say something about a Shackleton being in the works? Oh, back to the Tiffie - I don't know if I'll buy one (money, space, etc.), but I'm very tempted. Now, if Airfix came out with a 1/24th scale Shturmovik I'd be all over that one like fleas on a dog, as we say here in Texas. To be serious, I do hope Airfix do very well with this kit as it takes a lot of stones to do it, and I've always felt that companies that take a chance, instead of putting out another b****y Mustang or Bf-109, deserve success. Now about that Shackleton...

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Another thought that managed to get itself heard in amongst all the Tiffylust - do Airifix have to make a profit on this kit? I know as a company they have to, but is this their Bugatti Veyron - a headline grabbing loss leader subsidised by the rest of the range that says to the world "This is now where the bar is" in terms of engineering and quality. They'll never sell as many of them as they will 1/72 Spitfires, but all the extra Spitfires they sell via brand association means they don't have to.

Whatever the reasoning, I still want one.

• Like 1

I managed to find time to look at this at Telford and was completely blown away. I'm mostly a figure modeller now but I would have quite happily taken the Typhoon away with me :winkgrin:

I have no idea how accurate it is or how easy it will be to build but just by looking at it I could tell that it is a fantastic piece of design and engineering and it looked as good as the products on the ZM stand that I spent the weekend next to!

If Airfix are going to punt this out around the £90 mark then it's a bargain; I paid that for the Pegaso 20th anniversary 75mm foot figure and you get one of those with the Tiffie!!

I don't think the modelling world has ever had it so good as it is now with the range of kits and aftermarket products so there is pretty much something for everyone. If you like this kit then buy it if you don't then buy something you do like; would you go into a Land Rover dealership and moan at them for not building a 2 wheel drive 3 door hatch, no you'd just go to a Mini dealership ;)

• Like 12