Spitfire / Seafire Airfix kit bash marathon 1:48

At Sea

On completion of the Airfix Club MkXVIe I was left with a lot of spares. One of which that intrigued me was the A - Frame hook assembly from the out of production Seafire III kit.

I put this too one side and thought no more until I bought the Seafire XVII kit (which is as gorgeous as the MkXII Spitfire kit) and found a spare set of wings.

A plan was hatched....

Phase 1:

Once I have completed my Seafire XVII I plan to butcher a Spitfire XII to insert the A - Frame section and the Seafire XVII folded wing to give me an early Seafire XV.

Other mods are adding a longer trim tab to the rudder & leaving off the bulge between the V of the engine cowls.

Phase 2:

I will then have a rather nice clipped E-Wing, which I plan to use the uppers of and the wheel bay out part of the lower wings to graft onto the centre section of the also excellent Spitfire MkXIX. This combined with filling the camera ports, sanding off the fuel pump bulges, cutting off the pressurisation pump intake on the port cowl and a few other minor mods gives me a fair Spitfire XIVe. Best bit of all is the spare decals from the Seafire XVII can be adapted to an XV and one of the first squadrons to get Spitfire XIV's were the same ones who already operated MkXII's so the DL-K decals will be used for that.

References I am using are the very comprehensive Warpaint Seafire guide & the Osprey Griffon Spitfire Aces book.

This will be a slow burner but I will update with photos at key stages and let you know if this plan will work!

• Like 1