Multiple threads on one subject

Shar2

Recently there has been a spate of threads being started based on not only the same subject, but also the same source of information. Could members please either use the search function, or at least read through the latest threads to see if the information they are about to impart hasn't already been posted.

Thank you.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Knew you'd pop up here! :lol: Just be a little mite nicer to these poor slow people that don't have bugging devices in the head offices of every model company in the world. :tease:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Was just about to start a new topic with the same question

Okay - there are a lot (!) of announcements from AModel/Modelsvit/Avis in their new catalogue, there is a topic about new catalogue, what is the value of creating a new separate topic for each position that does not bring any new information?

Was just about to start a new topic with the same question

Okay - there are a lot (!) of announcements from AModel/Modelsvit/Avis in their new catalogue, there is a topic about new catalogue, what is the value of creating a new separate topic for each position that does not bring any new information?

These will be the dedicated threads to drop informations about those kits when more will be available like box art, sprues, schemes, reviews, release dates etc.

Regards,

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I see the logic in that, and have even posted in the Jetstream thread, but some of these releases are a while away yet. The individual threads will have dropped off the top of the board by the time extra information appears and been forgotten. Duplicate postings are going to happen then, anyway. I think it might have been better to have delayed them until the appearance of these kits, or at least more information/sprue shots. Except for the Jetstream, maybe, which I can see having considerable continuing interest on this board. Me, anyway.

• Like 1

then perhaps that suggests there could be split esctions in the rumour monger bit for each brand group? unless that would be to many subforums, that way the posts don't drop off as there aren't that many from each maker, and much more elegent having all the amodel ones in their own section? etc,

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

For the second time in a row I post a rumour that has already been posted. 

I used to check that there is no duplicates by checking the "rumourmonger" subforum and last two times around were no exception, I haven't seen duplicate posts in recent forum's thread, but evidently they were there.

Then I checked my forum settings and it turned out that my "Sort By" setting was set to "Recently Updated" rather than "Start Date" as it used to be. 

I don't know what caused that, forum engine update or change in my cookie settings but the advice would be "if your sorting settings are set to 'Recently Updated' checking the first page only is not good enough to make sure you don't post a duplicate"

• Thanks 1

Nice to see someone else getting into a huff over duplicated posts...……….I have never asked for help from this forum yet as I have always found what I need on Google or YouTube,...………...rarely check out this site as I find the search not very accurate, but nine time out of ten, (possibly 10 out of 10) I use Google and regularly as clockwork, the search I put into Google gives me many, many answers relating to Britmodeller, I find google more effective as the search engine for this site.

I have come across people on this site(many times)running duplicate posts and if and when I spot them, I used to notify the duplicated post poster that he should check first to see if their is a similar post running before posting...………….never yet received a reply  thanking me for spotting they had duplicated, so now, I drop a line to the "mods" asking them to check out duplicated posts......but it does annoy me when people do not take the time and effort to check see whether a post they wish to post is already running...………………………..rant over

• Like 3

A couple extra points to expand on what Julien has said.  To aid searches, make your topic titles sensible.  Instead of "New from Airfix...." New 1:24 B-24 Liberator from Airfix", and use the tagging system to add extra information, don't duplicate what's in the title, as they are already searchable.  The tags are for extra context.  When searching, don't search for "B-24" as you'll get either nowt, or a boat-load of results.  Search for "Liberator" instead, and use the search options to target your search to "this forum", "all of my search term words" etc.

If all else fails, use Google's site search option, as exemplified below:

B-24 Liberator site:britmodeller.com

That will search the whole site for the search terms, which you can put in speech-marks "", exclusions "-" and so forth :)

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

If all else fails, use Google's site search option, as exemplified below:

B-24 Liberator site:britmodeller.com

That will search the whole site for the search terms, which you can put in speech-marks "", exclusions "-" and so forth :)

Appears to work with search engines other than google too. Duckduckgo in my case, which is handy.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 11/12/2018 at 4:55 AM, rayprit said:

Nice to see someone else getting into a huff over duplicated posts...……….I have never asked for help from this forum yet as I have always found what I need on Google or YouTube,...………...rarely check out this site as I find the search not very accurate, but nine time out of ten, (possibly 10 out of 10) I use Google and regularly as clockwork, the search I put into Google gives me many, many answers relating to Britmodeller, I find google more effective as the search engine for this site.

I have come across people on this site(many times)running duplicate posts and if and when I spot them, I used to notify the duplicated post poster that he should check first to see if their is a similar post running before posting...………….never yet received a reply  thanking me for spotting they had duplicated, so now, I drop a line to the "mods" asking them to check out duplicated posts......but it does annoy me when people do not take the time and effort to check see whether a post they wish to post is already running...………………………..rant over

Two new threads were started on the Airfix Vulcan when there was already a thread over 300 posts......they can't have been looking very hard..............

• Like 1

I spotted those Paul, but, rather than report them straight away decided to wait a little as I knew MORE "NEW VULCAN" would be starting up......decided to see if the mods were on the ball and if they would issue an observation as to previous posts......then either somebody else would report them or I would eventually report them...…………..I have noticed a lot of other new posts cropping up asking for help on a subject already running or started running the week before...……,,,Phantom springs to mind as does "just got a new airbrush/compressor" how do I use it???  All recent and all available to anybody bothering to do a search of this site(via Google_ just put your interest in the Google search engine and finish it with Britmodeller……….it can take days to go through what the search engine brings up - Rant over :rage:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

A few more creeping in of late. Please check the forum here before posting a new one as its not very often Hombee is not there first.

Thanks

Julien

• 5 months later...

The "search" function here is "less than adequate" (to put it nicely), so I can fully appreciate how a member might do the right thing and yet still come up blank on a kit, then start a new thread.

Simply merging threads whenever they are found would seem like a soultion perhaps?

• 2 months later...

Once again as its the time of year please check if there is a thread. We have had occasions where the two threads are on the same 1st page so you cant blame the search function for those.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...