Portsmouth Dockyard Shipbuilding

Sad news about the cessation of shipbuilding in the dockyard, but not really surprising. During my time in the RN (18 years), I don't recall any ships being built there. In fact the saying was that the dockyard was so fully occupied in maintaining itself that it barely had time to repair any ships.

:confused:

They built several parts for the latest carriers there, but it was the small ex-Vospers yard down Farham Creek that was busiest, building Missile boats and Corvettes for Middle East countries, the last of which was handed over last week.

A navy destroyer built by Blomn and Voss

You do know the war is over, don't you?

We've bought aircraft from overseas almost since the things were invented. We bought thousands of tanks from America in the war and hundreds of mobile artillery pieces after the war. No-one ever so much as suggested that this would be a problem. In what way would buying naval vessels from a friendly country be any different?

The only down side I see to all this, is that theres less and less more skilled jobs for the youngers to find work.

But get your point Sean.

I just hope that the world will not change for the worse. WE will find ourselves scuppered in more ways than one.

I still think its political, I know one yard has to go with the cuts an all.

Lets hope I can get into see the Victory come March.

Enuff said :winkgrin:

Cheers foxy :coolio:

If there is not the work for a business to be viable then what do they do?

Portsmouth Dockyard will still survive , maintaining and repairing ships, just a fewer people employed.

PS I live in Portsmouth and it will only make the employment market worse than it was.

You do know the war is over, don't you?

We've bought aircraft from overseas almost since the things were invented. We bought thousands of tanks from America in the war and hundreds of mobile artillery pieces after the war. No-one ever so much as suggested that this would be a problem. In what way would buying naval vessels from a friendly country be any different?

I think it's natural for people to want to take pride in national industry and homebuilt products. Certainly here in the USA, it's almost a religious mania, and in fact is to some extent enshrined in law. Ships are one of the biggest and most visible symbols of a nation's military, and just, as, for instance, the Lightning (the only "all-British" supersonic jet) is remembered with pride, I've no doubt that the British shipbuilding industry was and is viewed similarly. Will other countries build ships with the same distinctive superstructures of modern Royal Navy vessels? I imagine it's possible. After a while, it might even feel normal. But emotionally it isn't the same.

On a more pragmatic front, when you buy and build your weapons at home, at least some of the expenditure on defence goes back into local jobs and local cities. Not many workers at Blohm and Voss will be pumping money back into the British economy.

• Like 4

The last warship built in Pompy was HMS Andromeda in the 70's So what have they been doing since then? The ship maintenance site is a separate entity.

See my post above. BAe Systems bought the Vosper yard from Babcock.

I think it's natural for people to want to take pride in national industry and homebuilt products.

That may well be true, but not all nations have the ability to build 'home built' products... I can't recall any homebuilt products in our (Ireland) armed forces... But traditionally the UK has always been fairly self-sufficient in such matters but for some reason that had been declining in recent years...

but what it boils down to is whether as a nation you feel it is better to have affordable up-to-date hardware (built by others) or pay double (or more) for home built... pride I guess has a price.

I think it's natural for people to want to take pride in national industry and homebuilt products. Certainly here in the USA, it's almost a religious mania, and in fact is to some extent enshrined in law. Ships are one of the biggest and most visible symbols of a nation's military, and just, as, for instance, the Lightning (the only "all-British" supersonic jet) is remembered with pride, I've no doubt that the British shipbuilding industry was and is viewed similarly. Will other countries build ships with the same distinctive superstructures of modern Royal Navy vessels? I imagine it's possible. After a while, it might even feel normal. But emotionally it isn't the same.

On a more pragmatic front, when you buy and build your weapons at home, at least some of the expenditure on defence goes back into local jobs and local cities. Not many workers at Blohm and Voss will be pumping money back into the British economy.

Bloody well said Sir,

with the cheap labour market I'm suprised this lot didn't use North Korea

It might surprise you to know that the contract to build these is in 2 parts

1st part to build to a sail able condition

2nd part fit out with our equipment (decoys, comms etc)

NO, that's right NO British yard tendered for the work of the first part,

They registered then all withdrew when the final tenders were required to

Be handed in........it surprised me too.....

BAe are doing the second part unsure where though........

They built several parts for the latest carriers there, but it was the small ex-Vospers yard down Farham Creek that was busiest, building Missile boats and Corvettes for Middle East countries, the last of which was handed over last week.

I'd forgotten the Portchester yard. They made some lovely boats and ships there. Is that closing at the same time, or will they keep the design department open?

Dave

The last warship built in Pompy was HMS Andromeda in the 70's So what have they been doing since then? The ship maintenance site is a separate entity.

Almost correct, the Porchester yard has been a dry stack and small civilian yard for a few years now since VT Halmatic moved their small boat business into the Naval Base. The shipyard is the former VT site which opened when they moved to Pompey from Woolston. Since 2003 its been busy building HMS CLYDE, 3 Omani Corvettes and a OPV for Trinidad and Tobago (later sold to Brazil when the contract collapsed), plus the bow & mast sections of the T45's and blocks of the QEC.

I thought you might like to see this famous picture of Ark Royal in Cammell Laird in 1950 to show what was possible

http://citrusimages.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ark-royal.jpg

Trevor

I have no interest in ships whatsoever.....but what a fantastic image that is!