Wrecks identification?

Redboost

Just noticed this post as closing down computer to go to work,one of the aircraft codes I checked was PV- 275 sqn,they operated ansons 1954-59.

try some of the rest might give you more info.

South African Air Force Anson`s! Silver with yellow undersides was the late war training scheme and the orange roundel centres and 4 digit serial numbers are another give away.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

That would make an interesting diorama.

As for criminal, you couldn't give war surplus away at times. Famously, Canadian and Australian farmers would buy perfectly serviceable planes for the petrol in the tanks. Astrodomes for cloches and tailwheels for tractors. That's how most of the Bolingbrokes were saved (in Manitoba?)

Trevor

As Tony says, these are / were definitely South African Air Force Ansons (the Afrikaans on the sign is another clue). I'm pretty sure this photo appeared in the book 'Yellow Wings - The Story of the Joint Air Training Scheme in World War Two' by Dave Becker. When I'm next in the same place as my copy I'll dig it out and have a look.

Jon

OK, found the book (which is fascinating, by the way: well recommended for anyone with an interest in SA aviation, if you can find a copy...). Here's what Dave Becker's caption says about the photo, which was apparently taken in 1949:

"...Part of a batch of about 60 Avro Ansons after sale to Mr M Gildenhuys of Kuils River by 3 Air Depot at Brooklyn. The aircraft were stripped and parts used for all manner of things. Even today [1989?], 14 of the fuselage frames hold up the roof of an engineering firm in Kuils River."

Jon