Gelvades Class Battle Carrier - 1/1000 scale Darold

Seems most of the Gamilas ships don't have long gun barrels on their ships, just stubby turrets with only newer designs having proper full length cannons. Here's a vid of some random battle scenes, you can see the Dreadnought make its combat debut at 10:30 toward the end. Makes a good impression :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTJ-k2LRjM0

From the stats she mounts seven quad turrets, they look fairly small due to the bulk of the ship but work out as 490mm guns, plus a bunch of secondary weapons and missiles. Most of these alien ships tend to be pretty light on small calibre weapons, seems they favour missiles instead of flak guns.

No word on if the flagship with the forked front will be out, but I think its likely. That ship does have a planet wrecking spinal cannon plus a few batteries of proper gun turrets. Really hoping it shows up :)

Hi all

Well, I guess I wasn't as close to finishing as I thought. The base is turning into a model on it's own. Not opting for a simple stand and base, I have gone for something more interesting - well, hopefully.

First up, I have found a good use for all those ship superstructure plates I have from all the ship models I have scavenged from. They make great buildings!

IMG_4356_zpsa568bf91.jpg

IMG_4361_zps9ea3921e.jpg

IMG_4373_zps97be479c.jpg

IMG_4374_zps01003099.jpg

IMG_4382_zps391b819c.jpg

A very rudimentary box to contain it all - with thanks to my son for the use of his puzzle box - that has no puzzle left:

IMG_4384_zpsb46f262f.jpg

and a look at the very basic idea:

IMG_4387_zps7de3beed.jpg

Of course, the base needs defending, so I am attempting to scratch up some wicked looking guns. I'll add stuff to them to make them look bulkier and meaner.

IMG_4370_zps89a318e5.jpg

IMG_4371_zpsf9c5e1aa.jpg

Everything is in its infant stage with so much more detail to add, but I thought I'd share what I have in mind.

Cheers

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 1

Greetings all

I have started to detail the base now and it appears that what I have in my head will actually work.

I have also slightly adjusted the base a little to include service tunnels - mostly to add more depth to the base.

IMG_4388_zpsd9b1a986.jpg

you can just see the added surface detail i have been adding to the channels. They'll be much more noticeable once they're painted and washed:

IMG_4395_zps5a10e2d4.jpg

IMG_4396_zpsa9a9413d.jpg

and some plant machinery (well, the start anyway):

IMG_4389_zps8291eb78.jpg

IMG_4390_zps10a4dcc8.jpg

IMG_4392_zps0e7be1f6.jpg

This should make it so the buildings don't look so perpendicular to the edges of the base - well, at least distract the eye a little from the fact they are.

I am also trialling something a little different for a light effect. If it works I'll post some pics

Anyways, must be off, I still have plenty more to go.

Thanks for looking

Si

• Like 1

Hi Si,

That is great work on the base, looking at all those tiny pieces of plasticard in the trenches you must have fingers like needles not sausages like most of us!!

Keep up the exceptional work.

Cheers,

Warren

hi guys

Been slowly plodding away at this. I have scratched up my own guns to go on the base a defenses

IMG_4398_zps9b4f8a87.jpg

IMG_4399_zps74ae489c.jpg

IMG_4400_zps5dbad9bd.jpg

IMG_4404_zps73158aac.jpg

IMG_4405_zpscfd45596.jpg

I have pretty much finished detailing the bit on the bottom of the base and have just started spraying the top plates of the base. Will try to finish detailing the buildings tonight and from there it's on the that last part of it all and that is putting it all together
I've attached the carrier deck to the ship but I am still waiting to get the bridge section cast for me (I haven't seen the bloke who does it yet - been 2 months and a no show each time)
I'll post some more pics of the base soon

Cheers
MH

thanks guys :)

Yes, the carrier is going to be positioned up and over a huge mast like structure - almost like a refuelling mast (which hides the power cables). I've made it so I can just plug the carrier onto the mast and remove it when I transport it.

I'm currently working on the mast itself, trying to detail it up some with pipes and such - anything to make it not look like a straight stick or pole

I've also made a start on the painting of the base - so far so good. Once washed and weathered, I think it'll look alright. Fingers crossed

good evening all

Well, it's update time, and here is where I am currently at.
I have finished the first of the buildings and the guns are both painted. One of which is now attached to the first building. If these guns were real, man, they would be massive! But I think they look way cool none the less. I have also reduced the amount of fibers I had because it didn't look right and I thought it needed to be a bit more sparcely set out. Lighting pics later:

IMG_4423_zps60186488.jpg

IMG_4424_zps0052db78.jpg

IMG_4428_zps985a4e95.jpg

IMG_4429_zpsb93d9648.jpg

IMG_4431_zps3738b188.jpg

I have started to do the second building now and so far so good. I changed the mast design I had originally to this much better looking one now. I found some 1/35 iron telegraph poles mae by Miniart and they were the perfect (well, almost - had to jig it a little) size to go over the inside pole which hides the power cables to the ship and holds the plug which it sits on. I think they look rather good, so I'm keeping it. I wanted an industrial look and I think I got it.

IMG_4432_zps56d909f4.jpg

IMG_4433_zps9188e259.jpg

IMG_4434_zps405978dc.jpg

IMG_4437_zpse8c3cf3c.jpg

IMG_4439_zpsf9bea3da.jpg

I have also finished "the pit". I wanted it to look grimy and dirty - a start contrast to the plates on the top level that the buildings sit on. However, painting is not my strong suite, so I may not have done it too convincingly. Its the second time I have ever used MIG pigments (a good practice run for my upcoming BR52 build later on). Sorry for the slightly blurry pic

IMG_4440_zps6720c29a.jpg

IMG_4444_zps35c49ec7.jpg

IMG_4445_zpsefb6b64f.jpg

And Ii thought I would try something a little different here. I bent a 5mm Fiber Optic thread, painted the bottom silver, wrapped some very thin strips of masking tape around the thread, then over that sprayed black then Iron to try and achieve a sci-fi looking energy pipe. I hope you can see it. Once the final photos are taken it should. It's one of those things you may or may not see - depends if your looking for it I guess:

IMG_4446_zps608c5ff1.jpg

And last but not least, the top plate. The blue service channels off set the metallic paint quite nicely I think: I will be adding more pipes and some other smaller structures to the plates as well - I just haven't got those parts yet. I have made my own pipes though that will feed from "the pit" to the mast. Don't ask me what function they would have 'coz I have no idea - Ii am just because I think it'll look cool

IMG_4449_zpsec735e07.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Need to finish off the second building. Once that's painted and dried, both buildings will be set onto the plates then onto the base. The ship itself is almost finished - just need to get that bloody bridge section cast and the guns painted then I can call it done!
As always, if you have any feedback - good or bad - please feel free to post

Cheers

MH

• Like 1

One of the Japanese hobby magazines showed up with some new background information on the ship, mostly what we already knew but still quite nice...

The Chimera-type carrier (Gelvades class)

Under the territorial expansion policy of Abelt Dessler’s regime, the active military branch of the Garmillas Empire not only increased the production of existing vessels, but also the competition between provincial planets to develop special prototype vessels. Among these, one of the newly-created vessels, called an Astro Battle Carrier, combines the characteristics of an aircraft carrier and a battleship, giving it the ability to conduct independent operations.

Its main feature is to prepare for combat by inverting part of the flight deck. Although an open flight deck is established below the combat structure around the bridge, the front half serves as a gun deck that is exposed when the structure is flipped. Since the left/right turning range of the turrets is wider than the deck mechanism, they are kept in a stowed position when turning on the rotational axis. The openings in front of and behind the flight deck are closed by armored shutters when the guns are activated. The stern landing port is equipped with a bellows-type shutter like that seen on the rear hangar of the Meltoria-class astro battle cruiser.

The ship has a complex structure with an angled deck on the starboard side and a main gun battery at the rear flight deck that must rotate in the 2 o’clock direction to clear the landing path.

There are two layers of hangars inside the ship; aircraft are lifted to the flight deck by two large elevators located at both port and starboard. Various craft such as fighters, bombers, fast strike, and reconnaissance can be made available depending on strategy.

Unlike the existing Gaiperon Class Astro Carrier, the Gelvades Class is suitable for long-term solo operations such as exploration of unknown territory, information gathering, or battle action like the breaking of enemy supply lines. However, its building costs are about double that of a conventional battleship, and the complexity of its construction process limits its production, so only a few have been deployed.

And a bit on the multi deckers...

The birth of the multi-deck astro carrier

Among the combat vessels that make up the Garmillas Empire astro fleet, carriers are used for military operations that make use of aircraft. As the front continually grows under the expansion policies of Abelt Dessler, the specifications of carriers also repeatedly evolve at any given time. This resulted in a series of multi-deck carriers called the Guipellon class.

These ships more than reflect demands from the front to allow deployment of several different models of aircraft equipped for a variety of strategies, and the distinctive feature of the Guipellon class is the division of four layers: top deck (first), upper deck (second), central deck (third), and lower deck (fourth).

The first model to be built (Shuderg) had unidirectional decks, but the second (Lambea) was equipped with an angled deck. A later model (Balgray) had the forward edges of its deck reconfigured with mountain-shaped extensions for additional sensor equipment. At the time this model was designed, it seems to have been assumed that it would use the angled deck variation, so the radar tower on the central port side became retractable so as not to interfere with launching and landing aircraft.

There is no hangar built into the structure of the ship, so aircraft are tethered to the decks for inertial control. Also, it is rare for all four decks to be fully employed, since the third deck is often used for storage of containers containing armaments for prolonged operations.

The first, second, and third decks are used only for launching craft and the fourth is dedicated for landings. However, depending on the tactical situation, launch and landing from the angled deck is also possible. Each deck is equipped with two electromagnetic catapults to launch aircraft with the basic consideration that landings would be achieved by approaching the rear of the carrier. An arriving craft is decelerated by a tractor beam positioned at the rear, then guided to the entrance of the landing deck. In some cases, one type of aircraft is dedicated to each class of carrier, but different models can be taken on board depending on strategic demands.

and a lovely picture :P

DHApril1409.JPG

There's more at this page including some images of the fleet in 1/1000

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/DHApril14/

Edited by Misrule

Its from a Japanese anime by the grand name of 'Space Battleship Yamato 2199' which is a remake of one of the original anime's from the early 70s i think. It's old school space opera, lot of drama, lot of explosions, nice balance of character development and well fleshed out antagonists which is a nice change from a lot of fiction :)

Also, awesome looking ships and fighters :)

Here's a long trailer for the series to get an idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yue88a0Mx50

Short version- Earth in the year 2199 is dying, after a long war with a superior alien empire humanity has a year left to live. From nowhere Earth is contacted by a benevolent alien who claims she can give Earth the means to restore the planet to life. She provides plans for humanity to build an advanced ftl capable ship so they can go to her world and collect this device.

Unfortunately the enemies of Earth aren't about to simply let this happen so the ship is armed with experimental weapons, a crew made up from grizzled veterans and promising newcomers, and given the task of breaking through the enemy lines to save Earth before all life is extinguished.

Also in order to hide this construction from the enemy the ship is disguised as a wrecked WWII battleship, which is why it has that retro look :D

Damn, I had no idea e deck was supposed to be gray. Too late for a repaint now. I prefer the gray though. Maybe on e next one ill do it that colour.

I'm waiting on my dreadnaught to come in, which hopefully won't be too far away. Same goes with the twin fronted flagship. So can't wait

I'll be updating this build again soon. Not too far from completion now

Jeff, Hover tanks look cool (I built one too)

But, They really do need recoiless weapons.

(Sorry, Madhatter. Back to you)

I always thought they'd dredged up the Yamato.

You live & learn!

No worries Pete - I have no objections to tangents :)

I am almost finished the base now – just a few things to tidy up, mostly just the edging and the addition of some more piping.

I decided to plug everything in tonight to see how it looks, and I am pretty darn happy with myself. It’s come out really well – not too bright – just right. I am also glad I reduced the number of Fiber threads in the buildings – the effect is now just right. I had to spray the surface another colour because the Alclad scratched off a lot and it was looking pretty crap, so I have gone with a light gray and I am happy with the result.

The ship is finished bar the bridge section which is being cast in clear – so I should get that back in a couple of weeks. I also plugged that into the base and it works a treat. Pics of that part soon. In the meantime, I took some pics of the base so you can see what you think:

IMG_4553_zps700ad703.jpg

IMG_4551_zpsdba4ad70.jpg

IMG_4552_zps45e3251c.jpg

IMG_4550_zpsc0083a3a.jpg

IMG_4540_zps94e9fc98.jpg

Thanks for stopping in guys

See you soon

MH

That's turned out quite nice Si.

Having looked at some of these I quite fancy a go at building one of the Yamato 2199 kits.

Did you use the flasher unit at all.

Cheers,

Warren

Damn, I had no idea e deck was supposed to be gray. Too late for a repaint now. I prefer the gray though. Maybe on e next one ill do it that colour.

I'm waiting on my dreadnaught to come in, which hopefully won't be too far away. Same goes with the twin fronted flagship. So can't wait

I'll be updating this build again soon. Not too far from completion now

Its cool, the deck is supposed to be red-brown in canon, I guess the guy who made that model wanted to be a bit unique himself with the grey :) Every ship on the show of that type though, definitely red based so your ship is accurate to the source.

Dreadnought is scheduled for end of July, though there is a regular battleship due end of April also. That said I'm really keen for the red fighter plane that shows up a few times :P

edit-

Here's a pic of the rank and file battleship due April

76007.JPG

Edited by Misrule

Oooo, that battleship does look rather nice, might just have to pick that one up too. I am this close to buying the later triple deck carrier as well. Might do that in a few weeks time when the wife goes on holiday.

Warren, no I haven't used the flasher unit on this as I am saving it for another project :) it'll get used though

Thanks everyone for the kind posts

Si

Thanks Carts :)

Don't worry, until I started this kit, I knew just as much as you about the series, but thanks to Misrule, I now have a relatively good grasp on it.

Am hoping to finish the base tonight, so I'll post some pics of it if I do