Gelvades Class Battle Carrier - 1/1000 scale Darold

Well, I have made a small start on this tonight by marking out where I am going to be cutting out unnecessary plastic which in turn will facilitate the carrier deck lighting. Once I have actually cut it out etc, I'll start posting pics. I need to try and work out how the heck I'm going to get the intake lighting to work! Looking at the box art and some pics I found online, I need the light to not just come out the hole in the front but to appear to emanate from the sides. I have no idea on how that will work.

As for other ideas, I'm going to drop the deck lift on the front left hand side to be on the lower hangar (currently molded up top) and scratch up some hangar detail on both sides. I'll try and get some fiber optics in there as well to add some interest.

Looks like I'll need to start stocking up on some 1/700 and 1/1200 ships kits again. Fortunately, I still have 30 feet of optic left over but will need to buy some more LEDs and SMDs of different colors.
I'm also going to try and get s spotlight effect on the bow and midships lettering. That's where SMD's will come in handy I think.

I've been looking at the bridge with a none-to-small level of skepticism - the "windows" are tiny and oddly shaped and just adding fibers won't cut it. I'm thinking I may need to recast the entire bridge section in a frosted clear resin and add a light inside that while masking only the windows. I'm going to ask some guys in my club if they do clear resin casting - or at least know of anyone who does. It seems I may be better learning how to do this myself I think.

I've just literally had a thought - as I have been writing, it has occurred to me that the frosted clear resin idea also could be the answer to the intake lighting issue as well. Hmmmm - I will ponder this idea a bit more I think.....

MH

Best of luck sir :)

Are you going to have the large midship lights change colour? I haven't been able to find out what they are, whether they are Star Trek like deflectors, or intakes, or some form of sensor, but they do change colour depending on the vessels status. They are green for cruising stations before turning yellow/orange for action stations.

Sounds like it'll look great when its done!

I didn't realise they changed color at all! I wouldn't have a clue how to achieve that kind of effect. I'll just stick with yellow I think :)

Well, I have been very slowly plugging away at this. Most of my time has been spent cutting and chopping, but I have managed to get the carrier deck lighting installed and have started to scratch build the small bay below the deck. I have cut the elevator from the top deck and placed it down below - I thought that looked more like what it's supposed to be - otherwise it would just blend in with the deck.
Forgive the poor photos - presently, I can only get to photograph when it's night time and I don't have the correct temperature lights. However, you'll get the idea:

IMG_3008_zpsbe160b9d.jpg

IMG_3023_zps9a1b0d5d.jpg]

IMG_3025_zpsaafcb5a3.jpg

IMG_3029_zps56843705.jpg

IMG_3031_zps67396477.jpg

IMG_3034_zps458067fb.jpg

IMG_3035_zps96227d82.jpg

Well, that's all for now. I'll try to take better photos next time - or at least during daylight hours :D

Cheers

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 1

The bay is now finished. I've tried to make it look bigger than what it is by creating layers. The whole area is only 4cm long by 1.5cm deep. I was going to add roof lighting but then I realise that the carrier deck sits right on top of that roof, so I would be able to sit it on top of the fibers, so I had to ditch that idea. I'm thinking I might add some floor lighting to the area by the elevator, but I'm not to sure it'll be worth it. Once the roof goes on, you can't see much of this area anyway. I haven't gone crazy with the painting because as I said, you won't see much of this once the roof goes on, so it would be a waste of time to detail paint it.

IMG_3078_zps23be9254.jpg

IMG_3066_zps3f1fa4e3.jpg

IMG_3075_zpsdd148197.jpg

IMG_3067_zpsf3020511.jpg

Time to keep plugging away at this. Not sure what will be the next update yet. Might look at the other bay to see what I can do with that one :D

MH

MH,

Great start, there are LEDs out there that are bi-colour, they have 3 leads, one for each colour and a common. You could use a 3 way switch to give an Cruising/Off/Action modes.

If I can find some details thus evening I will post up a link.

Cheers,

Warren

MH,

If you look on eBay at a seller called bright_components they sell packs of Bi-colour LEDs with Red and Green though if you power up both at once you will probably get the orangy colour Misrule talks about.

Cheers,

Warren

awesome -thanks for that! I'll have a look into those LEDs. I've found a place that sells uber mini SMD's that are pre-wired, so they would be handy for the bridge. Speaking of which, I have someone who can cast in clear resin, so that'll be done for me soon.

I'm still slowly chugging away (or I should say cutting away) at this ship, making room for the electronics to go in. I am going to find that bloke here on BM who was selling those programmable boards and see if he still has them. I want to have some blinking action this time - not just still lights.

I'll post some more pics once I've done something noteworthy :)

Cheers

MH

MH,

Glad it helped. I'm playing around with the Arduino programming system so if you need a small processor based flashing unit I might be able to help.

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

Hey thanks so much for posting that video! That was 18 minutes of time very well spent. That was literally the first time I have ever watched any of that show. I see what people mean about the Darold not lasting long, but at least I now know what the other 2 ships are for

Didn't know the main thrusters were pink in color. Will have to go get some pink LED's now.

I really enjoyed that - thanks again! :D

Si

Very quick update to prove I am still working on this. Most of my time has been cutting, chopping and cutting some more just to make room for the electronics. It is such a tight fit as it is without my clumsy work trying to be packed in there. I have been asking myself why I bother to light things up sometimes when OOB with some external details would have sufficed. I am a glutton for punishment

IMG_3087_zps580116f1.jpg

the cuts in the midships area:

IMG_3079_zps1151773c.jpg

Opens up quite nicely and this area will house the main power inlet:

IMG_3081_zps8bb89193.jpg

I am now waiting for my pink LEDS to come in the mail, so one they're in that should be about it. I am trying to make it so the carrier deck can it on last, so hopefully, it'll work

I have all the components individually wired up to plugs and all will plug into a modified ribbon cable plug.

IMG_3084_zpsbe8d8cdd.jpg

Also as a first for me, I have just bought myself a flasher board from Warren (AKA Madmonk). If you've never dealt with Warren before for lighting stuff, I can only strongly recommend you do. Never used one before, but he has programmed it for me so that's one less things I need to worry about - and it's small!!

Anyway, that's all I've done, but hopefully, things will pick up soon

Till then

MH

I did a quick lighting test and it seems my concerns about illuminating the sides is unfounded. It looks good to me. Lots of digging and cutting was performed to get the LED's in there. Might prove to be a challenge getting everything else to go together though....

I took the opportunity to snap some pics while I thought of it:

IMG_3088_zpse5d64b0c.jpg

IMG_3090_zpsf6dee9b8.jpg

IMG_3091_zps53225065.jpg

IMG_3092_zpsc709d281.jpg

Cheers

MH

• Like 2

Hi MH,

Flasher board on way, hopefully Customs wont take a shine to the wires and processor!!

I know you are just testing the lighting and tell me where to go if you already know but it would be a good idea to paint the inside of the kit black to stop any light leakage through the plastic.

Cheers,

Warren

thanks bud! :D Unless it'll explode, they won't care

No, won't tell you to go anywhere for that suggestion. I won't be painting the insides but instead, I'll do it the same way I painted my last 2 ships that I lit and do a flat black base coat the entire ship.Doing it that way means a double act - I get the light blocking effect and the black is a good way to get differing tones of gray without having to custom mix it.

Works well for me anyways :)

quick update - have made the smaller hangar bay - or what ever it's meant to be. Nothing glued in yet as I'm still putting together the electronic parts, but I should be finished that soon

IMG_3105_zpsde86641e.jpg

IMG_3106_zps190b796c.jpg

IMG_3108_zps74d84bc9.jpg

IMG_3110_zpsc0d0056d.jpg

Cheers

MH

• Like 1

thanks fellas. Yeah, they are pretty small. Believe it or not, that ladder wasn't actually a ladder to start with. It was part of the radar frame from a 1/700 Bismark. None the less, it's still small :)

Got further on since taking the above pics. The front end is now together and ready to go onto the main structure.

Still waiting for my pink LED's to arrive then I'll kick that over and then I can assemble it and begin the detailing

Hi everyone
Time to flood the boards again or at least provide a small update

I have got the forward section finished and ready to paint.

IMG_3128_zpsba0b14c3.jpg

IMG_3126_zps05ae4ad9.jpg

IMG_3127_zpse1963063.jpg

IMG_3125_zps61ec6067.jpg

Everything is wired up and ready to plug 'n go. I finished wiring up the power socket and will begin making a stand for it tonight.
Normally, these kinds of things are attached permanently to a stand, but this time I took a different route. I've done it so I can just simply unplug it and it's ready for transport.
The power supply will be a 9V underneath the base

IMG_3134_zps4ccabf2b.jpg

As you can see, all the sections will be plugged into that modified ribbon connector which makes life so much easier.

I was asked recently by someone if I could take some pics of it with something recognisable for scale effect, so as asked:

IMG_3131_zps074bd311.jpg

IMG_3132_zpsb7190d3c.jpg

IMG_3133_zps10be6e4f.jpg

And lastly, the rear nav lights are in place:
IMG_3136_zpsb8e81d87.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Please feel free to comment - good, bad or indifferent.

MH

thanks mate

Have made a start on detailing the front section. I won't go to overboard adding stuff as I like the clean lines, but feel it needs something more. Just not too much

IMG_3140_zps42d06dba.jpg

IMG_3138_zps122fc9b8.jpg

IMG_3139_zps8b2b20e0.jpg

More to follow later in the week

Cheers

MH

• Like 1