P-51D Mustang - Big Beautiful Doll

Mark

Beautiful work all the way, and the application of the checkers seems absolutely perfect!

Just one minor detail – since the forward third or so of the laminar flow wing was usually puttied and painted to give as perfect a surface as possible (critical for optimum laminar flow performance), perhaps those panel joints fwd of the main spar should have been filled. I said it was a minor detail… ;-)

Impressive work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Just throwing in my 2 cents...

Job well done! I particulary like the fuel spill marks from the fuel caps on the wing tanks. Details like that makes a model just the little bit better.

Thank you chaps! Very kind. :)

Just one minor detail – since the forward third or so of the laminar flow wing was usually puttied and painted to give as perfect a surface as possible (critical for optimum laminar flow performance), perhaps those panel joints fwd of the main spar should have been filled. I said it was a minor detail… ;-)

Hi Joachim,

No, not a minor detail at all and a point well made! This build was just to get my annual total up a bit! I've only completed 4 models this year, so wanted to fill up the annual year book a bit! But you are right and was it always the case? Also would that also extend to the RAF Mustang Mk.IV as that is the next Mustang that I will be building.

From what I've read, ALL Mustangs left the factories with filled wings. Here is a diagram on a thread from another forum concerning the same question of filled wings which I found showing where the putties/ fillers were applied which you may find interesting, http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/schematics/p-51d-filled-wing-panels-help-please-30982.html

I have used this on my Mustang iv which I am doing at the moment. In the how to build tamiya's 1/32 Mustang book is an article saying that some 8th AF machines were stripped in winter of 44-45 and not refilled.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Tabio

Here is a diagram on a thread from another forum concerning the same question of filled wings which I found showing where the putties/ fillers were applied which you may find interesting...

Interesting? This is what I love about this site, the non-ego driven expressions of genuine offers of help, not to mention the amazing workmanship on display!

Thanks Tabio, that link is brilliant! Thank you!!

Hi Stig! Thank you for your very generous comment!

It's all Alclad II in various shades, plus a bit of Tamiya Smoke along the panel lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all for the comments!

Stunning work....I'm a big OOB fan myself(or just tight !!) did you use alclad?

Yes, Alclad all the way!

That's a lovely model! I was at Duxford the last day it flew :( nicely done

And guess what's on the bench to be built up soon? Yep, the Skyraider that she collided with! All I need is a 1/48th scale Robs Lamplough on a parachute to finish the diorama!