202 Squadron pencil drawing

Jonners

Here's something that I drew a little while ago - 5 years, I've just realised! - and which has been my most ambitious drawing so far. It's an A2-sized 'type history' of 202 Squadron, RAF from its early days as 2 Sqn, RNAS through to its present-day role as a Search and Rescue unit equipped with the venerable Sea King HAR3. Next year will see the squadron celebrate both its centenary, taking into account its RNAS incarnation, and also its 50th anniversary as a SAR helicopter squadron, though I understand it will disband in 2015 as SAR duties in the UK are taken over by a civilian contractor. The top crest, by the way, was used by the squadron during its pre-war seaplane / flying boat days.

I'd previously completed a similar drawing (to a commission) which covered 22 Squadron's type history, though that was rather more difficult to represent owing particularly to 22's multiple disbandments, re-formations and period between the wars as one of the Martlesham aircraft testing units. I wasn't particularly happy with that effort so resolved to do the same thing for 22's sister squadron and incorporate some 'lessons learned' from my previous attempt.

Any constructive criticism is welcomed, though after 5 years I've managed to offer plenty to myself! I can't remember just how long it took to finish, though I do remember getting thoroughly fed up with it at one stage and putting it aside for about 6 months before I went back and finished it! Once again, this pic was taken using a pocket digital camera, hence (apols!) the change in brightness from left to right across the image.

When I find/make the time (now there's a recurring theme), I have a few ideas for a similar layout but, for example, representing my local airfield 'type histories'. We'll see...

Thanks for looking.

Jon

202Squadron_zpsb0a6bd2f.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

What a fantastic piece of artwork, I particularly like the Hastings and the Sea King but they are all superb,..I hope that you have sent the squadron a copy as they would love it! I agree with Colin, you should get some prints done as I think that they would sell, 202 Sqn could even sell them via their PRI Shop to current unit members and through the Sqn Association as there is something there to please everybody!

Cheers for sharing it with us,....you lucky devil, I wish that I could draw like that,

Tony

Very good Jonners! I've worked on that Sea king. You've excelled again. If you do want to sell some prints contact 202's HQ. I don't know where that is now since it moved.

Tonyot .....Your PRI is the RAF PSI (President Service institute) Unless you're overseas I've never seen a PSI shop in the UK. The PSI gives money out for sports gear etc. If I remember correctly they can fund things like the motor clubs ,Photog clubs etc. Garages for airmen's cars etc. A bit like the lottery fund operates,but doesn't waste any!

In Germany they had the shops where they sold really good Hi-Fi and you could also take your receipts from buying in German shops and get the Bundes tax back!

Thanks gents, your comments are very generous. I recently received some excellent and much-appreciated advice about getting decent prints made from a well-known aviation artist; ultimately it will come down to £££, as with everything else in life! As it happens, the current OC 202 Sqn (a former colleague) is very interested... We'll see.

BZN20 - You serviced it, and I flew it! For your part, where and when? Don't forget, the aircrew never broke them, they merely found that they were broken!

Jonners

Hi Jonners,

I know I'm a bit late to the party, that said I'd just like to add my compliments to you great drawing work, terrific subject matter as well. Thanks for showing off your work.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel; don't worry about being late - for a start it's fashionable (just as well, considering how long my wife usually takes to get ready) and I appreciate that you've made the effort to comment.

Tony, your comment made me smile: "I wish I could draw like that". I've lost count of the number of times that someone has said that to me! My reply is usually "How do you know that you can't? Have you ever really tried?" A few years ago a colleague, senior in years and experience, was soon to retire after 27 years of continuous military flying. I thought that a pencil-drawn personal 'type history' would dothe trick nicely but an artist's commission was out of the question (£££), so I decided to give it a try myself on the principle that it was worth a try. Looking back, my early results weren't too great but, just as with modelling, you learn as you go along. (Also, just like modelling, there is the occasional disaster....)

After a few months' absence from any drawing I sat down the other evening to start on a new picture of a Harrier GR3 'at rest', really as a kind of practice piece/study to see if I could get it to look right - lots of complex curves and very few straight lines. I'm toying with the idea of, once it's finished, creating a new topic to illustrate, stage-by-stage, how I create a drawing; perhaps that might even inspire someone else to give it a try.

Jon