Airfix F2A

Canberra Fan

No one finished yet? :popcorn:

Haven't flipping started yet! Still haven't gotten notification from Hattons my order is being processed yet!

All the folks from overseas seem to have had the good news but I've heard nothing yet!

The curse of being at the bottom of the register strikes again!

Wez

Haven't flipping started yet! Still haven't gotten notification from Hattons my order is being processed yet!

All the folks from overseas seem to have had the good news but I've heard nothing yet!

The curse of being at the bottom of the register strikes again!

Wez

I got my notification from them the day after they were released! It's probably sitting at home waiting for me by now.

Duncan B

I ordered mine on from airfix along with the special edition Tornado and was 2p short of the free postage so ended up getting a Gnat as well. It arrived yesterday delivered by a uk mail courier who could use some customer service training.

It's a great kit and I have started it already. The wings have gone together fine on my example but the tail fin on mine is warped and the fuselage is going to need clamping to close it properly. All easily fixable and overall I'm really impressed.

Do people think we're going to see a sheet from xtradecal for this one?

• Like 1

I would think the Gnats are selling well... £5.00 for delivery, or £5.99 for a Gnat to get the free post. No brainer really. (I did the same)

I would've thought the F2 is limited on after market decals since it was flown by only two squadrons. WHEN the F6 arrives though, it'll be a different story.

• Like 1

I'm not far off buttoning the fuselage up on mine. The wings were fine, but the tail and spine were a little warped. With the tail having a rather thick leading edge spine, the corrective bending took a little more force than I would've liked, but it's holding now at least. Intake bullet, cockpit and the exhausts went together beautifully, but the intake itself is slightly warped. This should sort itself when it's all sandwiched into the fuselage, which is a rather tight fit around the nose. The stubby 'spars' provided for the wings are slightly too small for the fuselage sockets provided, so care will need to be taken when I glue them on. I'll take a few snaps of the assemblies before they're hidden away and bung them into a little WIP. No paint for the exterior at present, so it's not likely to be finished any time soon

Hi Enzo Matrix,

The sprues supplied have short cable troughs and plain tank front. I imagine it would be fairly easy to scratch build the cable trough extensions and drill some holes in the tank halves for the gun pack though

• Like 1

Is it possible to build an F6 from what is in the box?

No, but Sprue E which is absent from the current release will provide all the bits including overwing fuel tanks to fit to the blanked of holes in the wings :winkgrin: .

In keeping with other new kit families, it will be up a series to A05.

In-box of the F.2A here;

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=408&t=41183

Edited by Richard M
  • Like 1

Is it possible to build an F6 from what is in the box?

Well mine's going to be built as an early 11 Sqn F6. When they arrived at Leuchars they didn't have the guns fitted so only the cable troughs to fabricate (shouldn't be too hard even for me?). Or have I missed something?

Duncan B

The Lightning F6 flew right through its service with and without the gun pack. There are piccies of most sqns with F6s minus the guns, so its worth checking the one you wish to build. In service with the LTF at Binbrook they normally had an F6 on strength usually minus the gun pack. Also when BAe used lightning F6s as chase planes at Warton in the late 80s they also had the gunpack removed. Then theres XP693, a true beauty in NMF. :wub:

Edited by Catbird

If anyone wishes to make a late Lightning F6 without the gun equipped tank, Modeldecal set 77 has a LTF jet; XR726/DF:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MD077

Since I have one in the stash, it'd be interesting to see how 'off' the Trumpeter "F6" forward tank section is and if it could be adapted to fit. The damn thing has to be useful for something now, while we wait for the Airfix one.

If anyone wishes to make a late Lightning F6 without the gun equipped tank, Modeldecal set 77 has a LTF jet; XR726/DF:

That's the one for me then!

Wez

Duncan, Don't forget about blanking off the upper nose guns. Thats the only other mod needed after scratch building cable duct extensions to make an early F.6!!

• Like 1

Additionally...(and I suspect most - like me- may ignore this...) the instrument panel on the F2A and F6 was different.......

That is true too! But not much else when it comes to modelling the subject.

Additionally...(and I suspect most - like me- may ignore this...) the instrument panel on the F2A and F6 was different.......

I won't get too out of shape about the cockpit details as I always make them buttoned up anyway so no-one will see it.

Duncan B

Just thought of another difference between the F2a and the F6, theres a small circular vent and panel just aft of the Aden cannons , not sure if Airfix have this in their kit, but its quite prominent on the F2a (and other Aden cannoned version) due to its proximity to the nose roundel, so should be there, or added. The F6 of course did not have this, so if Airfix have added this,, you will need to fill this hole.

• Like 1

AaaH! Thats another issue with the Trump kit I just finished. As well as those missing vents on their F.3 kit the cannon vents were still there. I forgot these on my F3 I just finished,until after painting so disguised them with silver decal patches cut to size.