Airfix F2A

Canberra Fan

Good thinking. Personally I'd have gone for three Lightnings - ha ha!! (or four). I hope there'll be an F6 to follow. I heard that the sprues indicate this to be likely. Looks like I'll be bulk buying Alclad.

Just what I have just done!! 3 for me plus used club discount code! Been waiting for an excuse to use it all year!! Now all I gotta do is wait... patiently... :popcorn::pipe::beer::waiting:

Just ordered mine :) might go for the green option though I hear the Modeldecal and Xtradecal sheets calling me from the shed....

Likewise. And the Cutting Edge sheets too. What's the betting the kit is straight in at No.1 on the Hannants site?

Just what I have just done!! 3 for me plus used club discount code! Been waiting for an excuse to use it all year!! Now all I gotta do is wait... patiently... :popcorn::pipe::beer::waiting:

Just a guess but will you be doing a silver and blue from 92? I shall be hinting heavily to Mrs Santa (and the early Hurricane too).

• Like 1

Oh Airfix please surprise us with an F1 (even though it'll take a completely new mould to do it with).

I've now scored an old Airfix F1 and F3 off evilbay so I'll be happy to kitbash the new Airfix kit with belly tanks from the old ones. At least for a while... :) have ya seen how many interesting Lightning colour schemes there are?1?!? :frantic:

• Like 1

I've now scored an old Airfix F1 and F3 off evilbay so I'll be happy to kitbash the new Airfix kit with belly tanks from the old ones. At least for a while... :) have ya seen how many interesting Lightning colour schemes there are?1?!? :frantic:

Me too.................I've been collecting a few for a while now....may see if I can make a resin copy of the tank.

• Like 2

Me too.................I've been collecting a few for a while now....may see if I can make a resin copy of the tank.

I can see a problem with that. Resin is very heavy and the tank will sit behind the mainwheels, maybe leading to a tailsitter. That's one of the things which concerns me with any future AM conversions. Maybe this is something more suited to the likes of 3D-Kits, as an injection moulded set.

Just been having another look at the sprue shots at top of this thread (in anticipation of recieving my kits) and in the third pic down, at left of pic and about centre, there seems to be a part that is circular and flat looking. Could this be a FOD guard for the intake???

With all these Airfix Lightning orders flowing, who is going to be first to finish one and post their handy work here?

Likewise, probably on the same van ;)

:D Hi Rob, if they are, then we'll be recieving them within short space of time!

Mean while I'm off to my shed and dig out the 29 squadron decals for my F3 now that I've found the decal placement copy on my lap top and duly printed.

Seeya for now!!

I was thinking of kit bashing the Trumpeter F1A fin and wings to the Airfix fuselage. I'm not sure where I'm going to get the belly tank from though. Maybe if Bill goes into production....?

Duncan B

I was thinking of kit bashing the Trumpeter F1A fin and wings to the Airfix fuselage. I'm not sure where I'm going to get the belly tank from though. Maybe if Bill goes into production....?

Duncan B

Production? Unlikely I'm afraid - well from me anyway. I do suspect someone else will do so though.........regarding the fin and wings - I'm planning on cutting those in the kit back - and re-scribing where neccesary. I don't trust Trumpeter's wings - particularly the undercarriage bay. For an F1/F1a/F2 the vents and outlets will most likely need removing and replaced with NACA type inlet ducts where needed, for an F3 the cable ducting will need extending...

This all depends on how well Airfix have moulded their cambered wing of course.......the 1/48th kit is spot on, providing you build it in the correct sequence......by adding the wing extensions to the top wing first, before adding the lower wing. That won't be an issue with the 1/72nd scale kit.....judging by the pic's Ive seen.

Hopefully well all know by tomorrow when the postie's up and down the country do the biz!!!

• Like 2

Production? Unlikely I'm afraid - well from me anyway. I do suspect someone else will do so though.........regarding the fin and wings - I'm planning on cutting those in the kit back - and re-scribing where neccesary. I don't trust Trumpeter's wings - particularly the undercarriage bay. For an F1/F1a/F2 the vents and outlets will most likely need removing and replaced with NACA type inlet ducts where needed, for an F3 the cable ducting will need extending...

This all depends on how well Airfix have moulded their cambered wing of course.......the 1/48th kit is spot on, providing you build it in the correct sequence......by adding the wing extensions to the top wing first, before adding the lower wing. That won't be an issue with the 1/72nd scale kit.....judging by the pic's Ive seen.

Hopefully well all know by tomorrow when the postie's up and down the country do the biz!!!

I also suspect that if Airfix don't announce the earlier marks in the near future (which seems unlikely due to the way they've tooled this kit) then the after market firms will step in and produce the bits and pieces required.

I'm not much use at scratch building and doing mods so think the Trumpeter kitbash might be the best option for me (and that way I finally will get something back for the money I wasted on those horrors) along with maybe a balsa belly tank. I have an Airfix F3, bought off E bay recently, with the intention of using it as a donor but I'll see how other people go about the conversion before deciding. An F3 would seem to be the most straight forward conversion and I guess we'll see quite a few in the coming months.

Enjoy opening that box in the morning, I'll have to wait until getting home in early January before I get to do that.

Duncan B