Thunderbolt 2

S5 modeller

Hi chaps.

I will soon be building the revell 1/48 thunderbolt 2, and have decided to use elements of the italeri detail set to add the details on the engine. As I would like to make a static display with the engine cover open I need to modify the engine housing to show it off.

Has anyone got any pictures showing the engine cover arrangement? Specifically which way the covers open?

The instructions in the detail set show that the italeri kit has a cover that seems to be hinged at the top of the nacelle and folds upwards, would this be correct? It would be easier to do it that way, but I would like to do it the correct way.

Thanks for looking in.

Matt.

Thanks for the photos Giorgio, they're really helpful.

Didn't know what else to call it, apart from a warthog!

I have had a look at the bits that are in the detail set, and looked into the revell parts that fit into the nacelle and I think I can see a way to work it. Going to have a look over the weekend and will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Have been playing with the parts I have, and have come up with a solution. Bit of a mix of kit parts and upgrade parts.

Looking at the instructions with the resin parts it seems the italeri engine exhaust is longer than the revell part. After a quick dry assembly it became apparent that I needed to fill a gap of 9mm, this has come from the shorter exhaust pipe and not using the resin fan inlet. I chose not to use the inlet fan because it is a different design to the revell one, and would look odd.

null_zps2d2374d0.jpg

null_zps5b3b248f.jpg

The revell fan is shorter than the resin part.

To overcome the gap, I machined a 9mm spacer from aluminium at work, tapered to match the diameter of the resin engine and the exhaust outlet.

null_zpsb581afe3.jpg

I think this will give a more natural progression between the 2 parts, and looks more like it should be there ( if you get what I mean).

There is a radius cast into the end of the exhaust, so I machined an alignment dowel that fits into it, and drilled through my spacer. This way I can align the 2 parts perfectly.

null_zps2284a97d.jpg

null_zps02d6c46e.jpg

null_zpscdea7cec.jpg

I have held all the parts together with masking tape for now, just to see how they fit.

null_zpsd9d72ba2.jpg

null_zpsce1a9985.jpg

null_zps4d4cb43f.jpg

null_zps5626d9fe.jpg

I think that when the parts are glued together without tape in between, they will fit perfectly with the exhaust mounting points dropping into their slots.

Just remains to open up the panel on the nacelle, following the panel lines. For some reason revell have seen fit to mould in a dotted line across the top of the nacelle maybe with the idea of opening it up. Just need to work out a hinge now.

null_zpsb3f4fcf1.jpg

null_zpse064fcb5.jpg

Unfortunately the dotted lines don't show up too well on the picture, my iPad camera doesn't want to pick them up.

Any comments or suggestions?

Edited by S5 modeller