Undercoat Yellow

JaseGill

Hi,

I'm wondering what others here use as an undercoat for yellow and for that matter red.

Whether I use grey or what is hope better white it always seems washed out. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

J.

I used the Hycote automotive primer on my BF109 and the yellow seemed fine to me.

Not sure what white you have used, but the Halfords and Motosave rattle can primers seem the way to go if that is your thing.

RFI can be found here, judge for yourself. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947506-airfix-bf109e-1e-3e-4-148/

I have used Alclad2 white primer before. However, I have recently been advised to use auto paint from a rattle can. I've tried it. It works. Mist it on in very thin coats, making sure there is no build up against any masking tape. When you have a decent body of colour, spray the actual yellow colour you intend to use over it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the pointers.

Ive been using Valejjo White Primer in the Airbrush so maybe Im just being a bit picky.

Ive used Alclad2 White primer too and seem to get the same results.

I guess I need to adjust my style of airbrushing for Yellow and Red and do a few light coats and then leave overnight.

Some great pointers here as usual though and orange before red Ive never tried so that'll be kept in mind for future.

J.

I have recently been advised to use auto paint from a rattle can. I've tried it. It works. Mist it on in very thin coats, making sure there is no build up against any masking tape. When you have a decent body of colour, spray the actual yellow colour you intend to use over it.

+1 for the car paint. Both these have been done with Halfords Fiat yellow over normal grey primer. Thin coats, always thin coats

20131026_162411.jpg

03742ed6-1f5c-4ef0-b1b4-826b7f6539f3.jpg

Next time i'll try a white basecoat (again auto primer), maybe i'd need less yellow coats to build the colour

• Like 1

Same as Space Ranger - Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (white). Always white to undercoat primary colours. Deanted into a jar for airbrushing and sprayed unthinned.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tomjw

Timely question. I just finished painting trainer stripes on my Vampire. The Hobby Shop guy recommended Mid Stone as an undercoat for the yellow and it worked really well.

He also mentioned pink as an undercoat colour for red. Tamiya now has a pink spray can primer for just this purpose. I must admit never having any real problem with red as I do with yellow though.

Cheers

Michael