So what's the BIG Airfix announcement at Telford going to be?

Rob P

On the Airfix website they are announcing their 2014 lineup at Telford, http://www.airfix.com/news/airfix-announce-new-2014-releases-at-scale-model-world/

Never mind dromedaries and still less shuddering at the memory of offending panel gaps, decal register or box art. If we're going to be pedantic then Airfix needs to shoot its PR people.

Airfix announce new 2014 releases at Scale Model World

What does this mean? It's just some words put together with only a vague connection to one another. If the intention is to bring our attention to a future announcement it should say (at the very least):

Airfix to announce new 2014 releases at Scale Model World

Pah! You'd never get this sort of thing from Tamigawa!

• Like 1

Come on people lets think outside the box here, it may not even be a British subject ! :yikes: Hope its a new 1/72 Viggen or even 1/48 FMA IA 58 Pucara maybe even a detailed 1/16 Mark 1 'Male' Tank WWI. I'll be there in Telford for the for the announcement anyway can't wait, not long now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Hypersonic

Come on people lets think outside the box here, it may not even be a British subject ! :yikes: Hope its a new 1/72 Viggen . :thumbsup:

Me too, but it won't be :weep:

It will be something big, daft and expensive

Edited by chrisrope

Airfix to announce new 2014 releases at Scale Model World

And what do they mean by "new 2014 releases".

There are the "old" 2014 releases which we all know are going to happen. 1/72 Beaufighter, Sea Vixen and Javelin. 1/48 Scimitar.

So I suppose these are the "new" 2014 releases which will be a surprise. 1/72 Avenger, Blenheim and Shackleton, 1/48 Vulcan, 1/35 Cutty Sark...

Hopefully even if if they are not interested in the subject they will admire the level of detail and finesse of the best kit Airfix have ever created. The 1/24 Mossie made the statement "We're back", now with 5 years of experience under their collective belts this is Airfix saying "We're here and by gosh look what we can do!"

Whether the bulk of modellers want it or not', presumably.

And what do they mean by "new 2014 releases".

There are the "old" 2014 releases which we all know are going to happen. 1/72 Beaufighter, Sea Vixen and Javelin. 1/48 Scimitar.

So I suppose these are the "new" 2014 releases which will be a surprise. 1/72 Avenger, Blenheim and Shackleton, 1/48 Vulcan, 1/35 Cutty Sark...

To be boring, new releases are those from new tools eg Vampire, Javelin. 'Old releases' - well that sounds a bit of a joke - but would be I suppose 'reissues' ie old moulds brought back for another run even if the box(art), decals are 'new' in the sense that they weren't associated with the 'old' eg Diana.

All will be revealed in not so many hours: that if one can even get near the stand. For those who can't lets hope that National (and International) TV News Channels are there.

<uberpedant>

A true camel is any animal in the genus Camelus. That includes Camelus bactrianus and Camelus dromedarius.

A wider definition of the term "camel" is that of any animal in the family Camelidae. This includes llamas, alpacas and vicuñas. A more accurate term to describe these animals is "camelid".

</uberpedant>

:smartass:

:chair:

Airfix put a small snapshot of a new Lancaster art work on facebook the other day, saying it will be available to see in full at SMW. I do wonder if it is a 1/48 Lanc

Airfix put a small snapshot of a new Lancaster art work on facebook the other day, saying it will be available to see in full at SMW. I do wonder if it is a 1/48 Lanc

For those of us who don't Facebook any chance of a shot to allow for wild unsubstantiated speculation?

Trevor

• Like 1

Here you Go Trev...

airfixlanc_zps0e2e637b.jpg

Now, call me insane but, no it can't be, they wouldn't, would they? they wouldn't be doing a Lanc in 24th?

• Like 2

I was planning on waiting until telford, but couldn't resist getting involved!

I think Airfix would probably play relatively safe, so they wouldn't go too exotic if it was an expensive kit and would probably do a 1/72 Vulcan bringing it up to date or a victor to complete the airfix trio, a 1/48 vulcan would also be a sought after item, or quite possibly a 1/48 lancaster which would be nice and would most likely be based off the 1/72 kits.

If they are producing a 1/24 jet, then I would hazard a guess at either harrier GR5/7/7a/9, meteor or hawk and at an outside bet a typhoon FGR4.

When you consider the investment and manufacturing cost of a new 1/24 kit I think it would be a safe bet for sales to recoup the money and keep the business moving forward strongly.

Anyway, we'll see what it is in 2 days and probably laugh at how far-fetched our ideas were!!

Rich

The issues black and white, it'll be a subject Airfix consider they can make money on. They have done tie ins with several anniversaries in the last couple od years. There's a big 70th coming up next year so it would make sense to maximise returns by issuing new kits that tie in with that - if not then someone needs a rocket under them.

• Like 1