Tamiya 1/48 P-47D

DannyB

This GB has come round with some perfect timing and hopefully it's what I need to start finishing some bits off!! So, with renewed enthusiasm and taking inspiration from our great leader I figured I what try to get my Thunderbolt finished. :lol:

Here's the link to the initial work in progress thread - here - but let's face it we all scan read through to the pictures so here they are again in one place. :)

The sprues

IMAG0093_BURST001.jpg

What the final outcome should be

IMAG0095.jpg

And here's how it went together.

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0106_zpsc2fe92bf.jpg

IMAG0111_zps94f0d02c.jpg

IMAG0114_zps0b42fc7a.jpg

And this is where I pick her up;

IMAG0375_zps67bccc97.jpg

Will *hopefully* update this pretty soon with a bit more done! :lol:

• Like 1

Cheers Alex, feels strange working on this one again. I had forgotten just how nice the plastic was.

In to the spray booth it goes for it's impression or Rudolph!

IMAG0376_zpsb58acd42.jpg

And once that was masked off I could get on with spraying the rest. First up is the bare aluminium underside. I was hoping to get some alclad 2 and go to town for this bit but unfortunately I can't just warrant it at the moment so it was into the stocks for the paint. I've used tamiya flat aluminium for the bulk of the work and metallic grey and gun metal for the staining.

IMAG0380_zpsd2634422.jpg

It's does need a bit more dirtying up but that will come later.

Next up the bit I've been dreading and the reason, I think, this stalled in the first place, the invasion stripes! :poke:

• Like 1

Cheers Wellzy :)

Managed to get good run on the painting this weekend.

I started with laying down the white for the invasion stripes, masking these up I realised why most spray the stripes first! :banghead:

IMAG0381_zps0763d4c2.jpg

IMAG0382_zps641f2ae2.jpg

IMAG0383_zpsfb94d77a.jpg

All done :)

IMAG0384_zpsc757b702.jpg

Then it was on to the olive drab, not a huge amount to show on this bit so here's where she stands now.

IMAG0386_zps57648af0.jpg

IMAG0387_zpsbee93e57.jpg

Next up it's finishing off all of the little bits and a coat of klear.

• 3 weeks later...

Well seeing as I had the blue backdrop out last night I thought it rude not to take a couple of pictures of how this is coming along.

Having finished the overall painting I laid down a coat of klear to prepare the surface for decals, annoyingly this has really darkened down the od. :boom:

But he-ho, this is how it goes sometimes!

Here she sits with the larger decals on, I'm now just working through all of the tamiya stencils.

IMAG0411_zps35527145.jpg

IMAG0412_zps4b28adf1.jpg

IMAG0415_zps28e463f6.jpg