5 Sqn EE Lightning, late 70s

As an aside to my "Aircraft my Father fixed" project, I've decided to build examples of other 5 Sqn aircraft from periods when he wasn't ground crew. So to begin with, here is an EE Lightning, the 1:48 Airfix kit. This is pretty much OOB with just the addition of a resin seat and decals sourced from numerous places to represent a 5 Sqn aircraft. I opened up a couple of ports and intakes in the fuselage.

I can't honestly say this is one of my best builds - I made a number of mistakes during the build which caused me a certain degree of grief. The paint is Tamiya Acrylics for the camo and details and Alcad Aluminium for the undersides. Its the first time I've used Alcard for large areas, prior to this I'd just used the chrome on the Routemaster handrails. I didn't have too many problems with it.

So here are the photos with my new camera!

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 24

Glad you like it - funnily enough I've just been packing up the boxes for Telford and this went into a box with my 5 Sqn Thunderbolt so I've called that the "Bohemian Rhapsody" box... Thunderbolt and Lightning... :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1