1/72 Trumpeter Westland Wyvern S.4 - even more Suez loveliness!

Greetings folks,

It a took a while longer than planned due to five months off whilst I did some 1:1 scale filling and sanding on my kitchen, creating dust like I've never seen! All the modelling gear was packed away and only retrieved two weeks ago. Anyway, without further a do, here are yet more Suez stripes!

I added a Pavla ejector seat, though in retrospect, not much can be seen with the wings folded. I also added the Pavla resin exhausts, replacing the pathetic attempt Trumpeter made of them. Oh, and having learnt my lesson from the Seahawk, I used Xtradecal roundels, backed with white discs (that come on the same Xtradecal roundel sheet).

At times Trumpeter seem to needlessly over engineer things, then do dumb things like mould the wing fold ends with the wing top and bottom halves creating four awful horizontal seams to deal with. I'd originally planned to do this bombed up, but the instructions indicate wing bombs are mounted outboard of the wing fold. I doubted that wings would be folded with bombs mounted so backtracked. However, I'd already stolen half of Mr Wyvern's continent of rockets to arm up Mr Sea Venom! Scratching around I got some Pavla rockets, which required much cleaning up followed by scratch building the pylons for the Wyvern. Lesson learnt, plan ahead before stealing weapons from a kit!

Paints, Xtracrylic Sky and EDSG, Tamiya 60/40 Lemon Yellow/White for the stripes, Vallejo for hand painting the seat, Alcad Stainless Steel, Pale Burnt Metal & Jet Exhaust for the exhausts.

Dr Darren

IMG_5472_zpsda732aae.jpg

IMG_5473_zpsae5ec76c.jpg

IMG_5474_zpsbe9fd12c.jpg

IMG_5476_zps9efd3468.jpg

IMG_5478_zpse4a4e5fb.jpg

IMG_5480_zpsddfd2cf4.jpg

IMG_5482_zpsfd2bd9db.jpg

• Like 15

That's remarkable - I'd never considered a Wyvern before, but once again this forum is probably going to precipitate a re-think.

(But part of the 'thinking' process runs along the lines of "I'll never do it justice", so I'll buy the damn thing and then add it to the rapidly growing pile of 'one day when I have the ability' kits!)

Thank you guys for all your very kind comments, I find the britmodeller crowd really does provide significant motivation, even when builds don't go smoothly. I'm in awe of the skills here... :blush: :blush:

OK, you guys are seriously weird, I thought there'd be requests for group photos, not kitchens and models. However, I'm never one to refuse a hint, so here's a group shot in the kitchen! :winkgrin:

ModelsandKitchen01_zpsba6dc107.jpg

And before anyone comments, it's clean because it's new, it won't stay this way for long, so thanks for prompting the photo whilst it's clean!

Photo setup: Tamiya photo studio (pricey, but worth the money imo), desk lights with 30W (150W equiv) daylight colour temp cfl bulbs - much cheaper than studio lights. I couldn't show here as I only have one tripod, but the key to the larger than life appearance is depth of field. That means a high f number and slow shutter speed. Most of my shots are f/22 and 2 second exposures.

Modelphotographysetup_zps71647e0c.jpg

So any requests for an FAA Suez group photo...???

Darren

• Like 1

Beautiful build, congrats.

Semmes like Trumpeter carried the issue of the wing fitting to the 72 scale. I did a 48 some time ago and i had the same problem, i guess the kit was engineered to be build wiht the wings folded????

Cheers