Matchbox 1/72 Bell AH-1G converted to Boneyard AH-1S (Mod) - Completed

OK, time to start HueyCobra number two! I'm not bothering with sprue shots as they're exactly the same as my other build, and to keep it interesting I'm not telling you what I'm doing :bleh:

These are the only kit parts I'm using, the only other things I'll be using are scraps of card etc. I've made a start on the trenches with Mr. Surfacer already.

2013-11-0321_17_35_zps5a4cd9f7.jpg

Edited by Speedman

I've cracked on with this one today. After a second application of Mr. Surfacer on the panel lines I sanded it down and rescribed using the original lines as a guide. I used the same method to make the exhaust as my other HueyCobra build and assembled the fuselage. The pylons were cut off the gun pods (pods have been used to make the exhausts for my Concorde) and some card glued on to bulk them out and glued them to the stub wings. Over the next day or so I should have the tail, stub wings, tailplane, rotor head faring and turret fitted.

2013-11-0623_32_17_zps1e1afe39.jpg

Hi Speedman:

I was looking at the pics of your another build, and was wondering which 1/72 plans you have using to buid, really are a nice help. Just keep on and don't forget the other you have nearly finished.

Cheers,

Edited by Luis Alfonso

I was looking at the pics of your another build, and was wondering which 1/72 plans you have using to buid, really are a nice help.

I was asked the same thing on my other build thread, I've tried several times now to find the website where I got them but I haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll post a link.

I've managed to get a lot done tonight. I've done some extra scribing, fitted the stub wings, braced the interior of the cockpit, glued in some guides for the canopy, made and fitted some card detail for the boom access panel and AC intake, fitted the tail, fitted the rotor fairing and I've started adding 9 scale inches to the full span of the tailplane.

2013-11-0802_30_18_zps9ec54c32.jpg

The tailplanes have been trimmed, sanded, filled, sanded and glued on. I plugged the slot in the turret with card and scribed the opposite side to look like the later twin weapon type and removed the top navigation light. I dry fitted the skids and found it was tail heavy so I've weighted the nose with some Liquid Gravity. Some of the more unusual detail coming up next :D

2013-11-0820_25_50_zps361d24e5.jpg

I've been busy doing some very strange things to this one... I cut some sections of very thin tissue and used Humbrol Clear to stick them down over various areas of the fuselage and canopy making sure that it conformed as much as possible to the areas it covered. Once it had dried I brushed over them with a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water and left it to harden. The last stage was to apply Mr. Surfacer around the edges of these sections with a toothpick.

So has anyone guessed where I'm going with this build? The next stage will probably give it away to be honest, so all will be revealed soon! :D

2013-11-1413_49_59_zpsf66646d1.jpg

2013-11-1413_50_10_zps0edfeca0.jpg

I made an IR supressing exhaust out of balsa and fitted it this afternoon, then I covered it with tissue and followed the same process as I did before. I then brushed on two heavy coats of Mr. Surfacer to simulate the Spraylat coating.

2013-11-1418_37_1001_zps004d7161.jpg

• Like 1

I gave this one a couple of coats of white primer early this morning, I was going to follow this up later with some Halford Appliance White but I decided the primer looked like a better match for Spraylat. This evening I brushed on four thin coats of Revell NATO olive acrylic and it really has started to look the part. I can't wait to get cracking with the weathering, lot's of fading with that desert sun beating down on it all day ;)

2013-11-1602_01_34_zpsa7f9a2ca.jpg

2013-11-1602_04_14_zps63c4a97d.jpg

• Like 1

I've started on the weathering tonight. The first pass with pastels always looks harsh but once a coat of matt varnish is on they magically blend with the base colour.

After that will come the following:

Clear coat

Decals

Matt coat

Another pastel session

2-3 coats of Clear

Pitt pens

Matt coat

Dry brushing

Matt coat

Mask all the green areas

Very light top coat of Clear to get that Spraylat sheen.

Did I mention I like weathering stuff? ;)

2013-11-1820_29_4601_zpsa9fecb89.jpg

2013-11-1820_30_0501_zpsa88d6196.jpg

• Like 1

If I do it will have to be a very narrow base... Unfortunately I have very little room to store my builds (it's why I do mostly 1/144 & 1/200) and the few 1/72 I've done recently have made matters worse :unsure: This is why I chose to do two HueyCobras, they're thin ;) I'll see how it goes and if I have time I will probably do a base for it.

• Like 1