RAF SEAC Thunderbolt I, 5 Sqn Burma 1944

Kallisti

For the next part of my odyssey to built an example of each plane my Father worked on while he was in the RAF in WWII, I aim to fill in a gap between the Hurricane IIc ( Build Thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234934871 RFI: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234935554) I built at the start of this year and the Thunderbolt II (RFI: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234942513) by building the companion that last one, a Thunderbolt I.

In September 1944, 5 Sqn and 124 Sqn were converted to using Thunderbolts. The RAF had been acquiring this superior American fighter for some time and had adopted the nomenclature Thunderbolt I for Ridgebacks ie P-47D-15-RE, P-47D-21-RE and P-47-22RE and Thunderbolt II for the Bubbletops, P-47D-25-RE and upwards.

It was originally intended to equip 5 Sqn with Ridgebacks to work ground attack missions and 123 Sqn with Bubbletops, but due to a mix up in the training and maintenance schedules, both units departed the training unit with a mix of both types. Eventually in early 1945, they exchanged aircraft so that 5 Sqn had its full compliment of Thunderbolt Is.

So thats the preamble now to the build... I'm pleased to say that this is the first WIP I'm doing with my brand new Nikon D3100 camera since my old one suffered a failure of a tiny 4 mm long plastic clip that means the battery compartment won't close anymore which has rendered the bloody thing useless. That said, I've been wanting to upgrade from that camera for some time and this was the perfect excuse :) I must say having only had the new one for 2 days I much prefer it - its lighter, more flexible and takes photos much faster than the old one.

Box:

DSC_0013.JPG

So having built the bubbletop not all that long ago the cockpit was familiar territory. I'd picked up an Eduard PE set while at the Abingdon show last month so this went in along with a resin seat with moulded straps from Quickboost:

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

Now while at Abingdon I also picked up the Osprey book "Modelling the P-47 Thunderbolt" in which Brett Green builds a SEAC Thunderbolt and includes a couple of figures that are perfect for Burma. So I tracked them down to an American company called Jaguar and had them shipped over:

DSC_0020.JPG

Now although these say "Australian", if you see photos of the RAF ground crews in Burma, bush hat, shorts and boots seems to have been the standard "uniform" most of the time and I've got photos in the album of my Dad dressed like that - maybe not as buff as this guy, but it will be good enough so I can include my Dad in one of the 1:48 builds as well. I'm tempted to do more of an airfield scene and put both Thunderbolts into it, so it'll mean a bigger base and more clutter on the ground... love it! :)

These Tamiya kits are excellent, very enjoyable builds.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a hiatus after Telford - I'm stuck in the house with a bad chest so can't really go out to the shed to do any painting as the change of temperature triggers the really bad cough. So to get around this I brought the building stuff back INTO the house so at least I can do something!

However, the Thunderbolt had got a long way last week so there really wasn't much left to do. Its a typically well engineered Tamiya kit so virtually assembled itself! I was able to do some brush painting - the shed is where all the spraying gets done. So the canopies got masked and painted, undercarriage assembled and painted, gun barrels painted and the prop was assembled:

DSC_0093.JPG

As you can see the cockpit is masked up as is the engine bay, nose wheel and undercarriabge bays, all ready for painting when the health improves:

DSC_0094.JPG

I've used resin wheels which have flat spots so here they are close up:

DSC_0098.JPG

and here is one of the undercarriage legs assembled, painted and just waiting to be weathered:

DSC_0097.JPG

This build is now stuck at this point. Further progress will depend upon health, so fingers crossed it will get painted up next week.

In the meantime, I started another build... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So after a while with distractions and circumlocutions, including a visit from my dearly beloved girlfriend from Portugal, I have returned to the Thunderbolt I. It was left last time at the point where major construction had been completed and just required painting of the camo. This went ahead with a lot of masking tape and blue tac. After camo was painted, the white stripes were added on wings, tail and around the engine cowling.

Then after a coat of Klear I started applying decals - this shows the progress once the roundels and identification code had been added

DSC_0326.JPG

The rest of the decals have been applied and its now in the shed drying from another coat of Klear to seal the decals before weathering.

In the meantime, I sourced a nice wooden base from one of my collegaues at IPMS Farnborough (http://www.ema-heritage.com/displaybases) which will allow me to display both Thunderbolts from 5 Sqn in a suitable setting:

DSC_0357.JPG

The claycrete is still drying and it will need a dusting of pigment to get the dusly look. I've added some fuel drums, gerry cans and assorted bits from the ICM Groundcrew set, plus the tiny toolbox I built earlier in the ear for the Mohawk build. The soil look more reddish in this photo than in real life, but it is supposed to be the red clay-like soil that is common in the Burma highlands.

Weathering will be along soon...

• Like 2

You might like to check out the thread from Shoey on the RAF in Burma. His Grandfather flew the Hurricane MkIIc . The thread is in the discussion topics by era WWII. Might be some common ground???

...and now we come to the moment of truth! yes it is complete...

DSC_0358.JPG

DSC_0361.JPG

This one is a bit dirtier than the bubbletop from a few months back...

Cockpit:

DSC_0363.JPG

DSC_0364.JPG

DSC_0366.JPG

DSC_0367.JPG

Finally, the new base with both Thunderbolts, some crew and gear:

DSC_0368.JPG

DSC_0370.JPG

DSC_0371.JPG

DSC_0372.JPG

DSC_0373.JPG

DSC_0374.JPG