Airbrush Cleaning Stations - Worth buying?

Sgeek

Hi All,

Having got back into modelling now and being in the lucky positon of inheriting a compressor/Iawta airbrush I am attempting to step away from my hairy sticks.

While enjoying(?) the new set of skills I am having to pick up I do have one niggle which is starting to grate.

Hairy stick cleaned and sorted at work bench.

Airbrush drag compressor and airbrush to sink to carry out cleaning process.

I came across the Airbrush cleaning stations on Amazon/fleabay and was wondering if anyone on here opinions on their use/value/effectiveness?

Its the bits of kit that you stick your airbrush into run your cleaning fluid/flush through the airbrush and it all collects in the attached container. Most seem to have a filter to stop the escaping air from taking paint/cleaning residue back out into the atmosphere.

I use my airbrush in an office/model room inside, so the cleaning station for me works. It cuts down on the smell of thinner and cleaner. I use mine with mainly acrylics I would imagine with enamel thinner a cleaning station would be high on the list of must haves. :2c::captain:

They're ok if you've got nowhere handy to squirt mucky paint and thinners. I occasionally use mine, but often forget, as I have a length of paper taped to the front of my home-made cooker hood spray booth that I dribble all this sort of thing over. If you can get it cheap, go for it - just don't pay top dollah, as it's just a jar with a fancy lid :shrug:

Thanks All,

Dave, understood. Its just that niggling lift and shift of everything to the kitchen everytime I change colours. I do try to end up with a couple of models ready for painting at the same time so my current builds of;

Airfix Typhoon, Me110 and a Trumpeter KV1 in Finnish 3 colour camo are driving me up the wall! But the finish is better than the brush so it is worth it :-)

I think I shall try Chadders suggestion and failing that bid for a cheapy on fleabay.

For most "between colours"-cleaning, the cleaning station is enough. Just rinse, blow a bit of thinner in it, rinse again, back flush, rinse, and blow a bit of thinner again.

The only thing I do different when I'm finished for the night is that I pull the needle out, wipe it of, and wax it before I return it into the airbrush. About every tenth session or if it start acting up, I pull it apart for a thorough clean. Usually I disassemble it completely, down to the smallest part, and clean them with cellulose thinner. And so far I haven't had any major problems, and no need to bring it to the sink.

• Like 1

I use a "home made" cleaning station.... empty Quality Street tin... fill with old newspaper, 1 hole large enough for airbrush nozzle and a a dozen or so pin holes (covered with foam from the inside to act as a filter) works a treat.

But I'm only using acrylics and if I'm honest don't do a lot of modeling, but that's about to change ;)

I used mine all the time too - it's my airbrush stand, and it saves spraying unused paint into the filter on my spray booth so the filters last longer.

I tend to strip the airbrush on the workbench after every painting session and clean it with suitable thinners depending on what I've been spraying. I wouldn't dare clean it in the sink as I drop anything and everything :)

Will

Sgeek

Used my new airbrush this morning for the first time. Bought a cleaning station with it and I can't imagine not having it! Apart from the fact it makes cleaning between colours a doddle it's a fine place to put the brush when not in use.

For the price.....its a no-brainer I'd say!

TonyS

• Like 1

As some of the others have said already, these things can be invaluable. Certainly to me and the way I work anyway. Quick cleans between colours are a doddle and they're very cheap - just over a tenner will find you any number of choices on ebay. I wouldn't be without one and trips to the sink would annoy me more than I can describe without using words that you really can't on a family forum!

• 2 weeks later...

I use the same Sparmax cleaning station and find it perfect for the job especially using acrylics. The included airbrush stand is an invaluable addition. I also use quick connect fittings for the airbrush and hose which I find makes things so much easier when taking the airbrush apart for an occasional 'deeper' clean. :thumbsup: