MIG 25 Foxbat My First Russian, Help Appreciated.

Hi all well my build of Vulcan XH535 is going quick and I want to do something different.

Temptation has got the better of me and this kit has been messing with me for well over 12 months saying BUILD ME!! . So I have given in.

This will be my first Russian plane I know little about it other that I love it and its a BIG BEAST. I will be doing it OOB though the decals look awful.

I would appreciate help with colour call outs and possible colour options.

First I need help with the interior colour I am not going to go mad in the pit mainly down to 1 I have not the spare cash for extras. 2 I dont think its going to need that much as it does not seem to have much to see.

Here is what I have got to work with. picked her up of ebay for the extortionate price of £4.99 !

null_zps5213e808.jpg

null_zpsf444de6f.jpg

Rob ;)

Hi sorry for all the questions. I have been looking on the net at photos now why did I not think of that before... Well I guess its much nicer to come on here and have a chat about it with other modellers and pick up some tips along the way..

I have not got that color its a strange colour teal,green,blue colour,, I will try and mix something suitable. I could have guessed black or grey but I would never have thought blue. It looks rather cool.

Yes Rob it's that curious Russian interior blue that seems to come standard on most Soviet machines of this era. The kit isn't that accurate but makes for a fun build and as you say there isn't much to be seen past the tiny canopy.

Here is a discussion on BM:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234918100-soviet-aircraft-interiors/

Another discussion:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60457-mig-25-colors/

So at least you should be able to get very close with either Akan, or WEM, or mix your own.

oh here is another page showing the gunze mix: http://studiogekko.blogspot.ca/2011/04/eduard-mig-21-cockpit-colour.html

Edited by Av8fan
  • Like 1

Looking forward to see this progress Rob,I can remember when one defected to Japan in I think 1976.my son wanted one so I got him the same boxing

from kingkit about the same price so he will be interested in your build.

• Like 1

Hi thanks guys always good to get pointers when its something you know little about. I reckon thats one of the reasons alot of us modellers have a big stash due to fear of someone saying "oi thats wrong that is... you have missed this that and the other..." When your a kid you just stick it together and do whatever you think is right..

The kit is nice I should not expect much as its so old but one thing I will say for it is the plastic is much sturdier that the modern equivalent.

I started work on the pit and its not much to get anyones knickers in a twist is it..

null_zpsd9fdeebe.jpg

....and on that note not alot can be said for the exhausts...

null_zpse1df635f.jpg

again I should not moan but as the Foxbat has such HUGE exhausts its a shame there is not more detail here.. Any suggestions ?

Dare say you can drill them out and make a basic tube with some rolled up plastic sheet then fake up fan detail at the end. Bit of inventive painting inside then scribe on or make plastic sheet exhaust petals? Sure there are some good photos in the Kittyhawk MiG-25 review thread.

• Like 1

Dare say you can drill them out and make a basic tube with some rolled up plastic sheet then fake up fan detail at the end. Bit of inventive painting inside then scribe on or make plastic sheet exhaust petals? Sure there are some good photos in the Kittyhawk MiG-25 review thread.

Thanks I was wondering about that. never done anything like that before and there was me hoping for a simple build ! :weep:

• Like 1

Thanks I was wondering about that. never done anything like that before and there was me hoping for a simple build ! :weep:

At least with a cheap kit you can experiment without killing off an expensive one. Did something similar with the same kit about 22 years ago cutting my teeth at this scratchbuilding malarkey and converted it into the two-seater with a spare canopy that came in the box. Never did find out if the two-seater can carry those R-40s but they went on anyway. Big missiles! Had to be done :D

Random thought - why not enter it in the Obsolete Kit GB? The Condor and ICM kits ensure it's outdated and certainly old enough to qualify.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Hi Col thanks for that I would happily enter it. Though I am not sure people would be happy for me to replicate the post in two places on here. I might do something with the engines. though I am likely going to cover it in snow anyhow. something different.

Cheers Rob

Rob, I've sent pm as requested. Have a go at scratching the pipes it's really not rocket science and fun too.You could shoehorn the NeoMega resin 'pit into the thing or if that's a bit ambitious just get the seat.

Now how would you like the thread to be blown off course..............subtly or full on ?? :hmmm:

• Like 2

Rob, I've sent pm as requested. Have a go at scratching the pipes it's really not rocket science and fun too.You could shoehorn the NeoMega resin 'pit into the thing or if that's a bit ambitious just get the seat.

Now how would you like the thread to be blown off course..............subtly or full on ?? :hmmm:

LOL feel free to blow the topic off course, photos of whatever you feel is suitable is fine,or other... You are the General after all Beyyygh...

I don't think I will be buying resin for this one. But I may well have ago at the pipes.. I just hope I have some plasticard around.. A few photos of how others have done it would be cool or similar..

I guess I am thinking about the maths involved like how to make sure the petals are equal around the exhaust. Surely its not like tiling a bathroom were you hope for the best....

What are we going to have then,, more Russian women with machine guns,, Sonic the hedgehog, or an in depth discussion on something much more interesting than I can think of right now..

On the topic of the mig. the intakes look empty,,, I was thinking of painting these black or dark grey to give some depth. some appear to be so but some photos show light grey..

How many schemes did the Russians paint these. cheers Rob

Edited by robvulcan

Remember the exhausts overlap slightly so that gives you a chance to fake the fit of the petals slightly in that area. Alas I never thought to take photos back in the day and the model didn't survive so can't share any now. For plasticard some food packaging can be a useful source of thin sheet ;)

Had a late thought about your double posting dilemma - ask if one of the moderators can move this thread to the GB if you want to join the 'fun'.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Cheers Col I will have ago at that sounds a bit like my cooking attempts just add a bit and hope for the best.. I will ask a mod in tick about the GB many thanks Rob.

All I have done now is start to base coat the pit with Humbrol 27 and I am going to try and mix a colour that pleases me for the interior. I am not going to get to bogged down with the detail on this build but I will be looking at the exhausts..

Cheers Rob

null_zpsad0dc95a.jpg

null_zps1e71e9b2.jpg

Its amazing how much better the seat looks with paint on. basic yet attractive,

;)

Well that was quick Mike has kindly moved this to the group build so many thanks for that.

Now I need to check the rules of the build (probably should have done that first)

Cheers for letting me join. Rob :thumbsup:

I thought I would mix up a blue for the pit. First I tried sea green from revel and golden yellow from citadel which was totally wrong..

null_zps0b9e3872.jpg

Then I tried Humbrol British Railways dark blue with two little kit accessory pots of white and some silver stirred in just for the sake of it maybe looking nice and I have ended up with an industrial grey greenish blue Looks like PRU blue funnily enough... It will do.

I added some W&N Flow Improver and brushed It on. This is it so far.. Not accurate perhaps but its blue..

null_zps9bdb9f5d.jpg

null_zpsa7fd3764.jpg

null_zpsb69cf233.jpg

I think a quick citadel wash with this and I am done in here..

Cheers Rob ;)

null_zpse1df635f.jpg

again I should not moan but as the Foxbat has such HUGE exhausts its a shame there is not more detail here.. Any suggestions ?

You could always try the approach from this Blackbird build over in a neighbouring forum. Plumbing pipe with wire details. The turbine blades can be cut from a piece of tinfoil and mounted on a plastic disc.

• Like 1

You could always try the approach from this Blackbird build over in a neighbouring forum. Plumbing pipe with wire details. The turbine blades can be cut from a piece of tinfoil and mounted on a plastic disc.

WOW thanks for that Jessica That looks like alot of fun too.. I might have just found a use for old guitar string.. Now were is the dremel.. :bounce:

After your link and having a look at some photos and then looking back at the kit supplied pastry cutters there is no way I can live with that its awfull and I guess even if I do a quick rough interpretation it will be miles better than just leaving alone.

I will have to tackle that one tomorrow me thinks.. onto the air intakes ...

• Like 1

Thread drift? I went looking for some nice sexy shirtless Russian soldiers and all I could find was this lot instead. Oh, and far too many pics of Putin. Most unsatisfactory, Internets. I expected better from you.

Tut tut Jessica, must try harder, sure if I dug deep enough through some old photos I'd find some of old buddies you'd approve of but in the meantime here's a small offering to keep you entertained http://www.calendarclub.co.uk/p-133-heroes-2014-wall-calendar.aspx

Not a bad crack at the blue Rob and quite sufficient for the dark hole that passes for a 'pit in this beastie.

Good start Rob.......colours not far off . You could always bung red covers over the nozzles if necessary...

The Foxbat interceptors generally came in heavily weathered light grey of varying hues or for the more ambitious a natty camo scheme is available for the recon birds and the BM suppression version, but these are different animals to be fair,

mig-25rbsh001_zpsad79c214.jpg

Hey Jessica how about this little cutie................comes with his own inflation plug and all !!....

fat_soldier_zps0e19dcb6.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers col the blue could be much more vivid but I'm not sure how I can brighten it without washing it out. It's good enough for jazz I guess.

Looking at those guys and I can see we're I am going wrong, being an 80s rock guitarist with a soft fluffy feathered hair cut with a baby face (so I am told) the occasional on stage application of eye liner leather jackets after shave and hairspray I am much more likely to attract the attentions of ,,,of .. Well I don't think I want to think about that .....

Indeed there has been many occasions when women have played with my hair and said they only want to compare it to theirs to which I usually reply "it's the same as yours except mines about to fall out"

Cheers andy that's a Great idea regarding the red covers and likely to suit this model much better with it being in snow. Now I guess I need to find photos of the red FOD covers for front and back. I have never made any before anyone have any Suggestions ?.

The camo looks nice on that but I reckon that one would need me to fork out for that new compressor since the 2011 explosion of my last one.

The blow up shaven Ewok is cute !

Edited by robvulcan