seven day Tiger build with dio.............

Precision Ice & Snow

Ho, hum.. :oops:

I'd go for 1/72 over 1/76. :whistle:

Here's a really useful site: On The Way!

And thanks for the site, i will look properly later, but in the meantime see below...........................

That's a very funny story about the German soldier figure with squiffy eyes and red lipstick on hahaha

We could not stop laughing, I know it sounds childish but we did take our modelling very seriously. There would be silence for hours when we were together but my face painting below 1/16th is nothing to write home about.

I think I had better look at some tutorials! :winkgrin:

I have only just seen this and I am amazed by the quality of your work as well as how quickly you managed to get it all together. Love it!

Cheers Tim, i think it was such great fun after so many years of non building I couldn't stop. It all centered around that 1/58th Tiger, now I have got to find a replacement for it as sgt Squarehead rightly points it lets it down... as nice as it is.......Shame

DSCF2075_zps18cf97b7.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought this today to put myself out of the misery......... :boom:

DSCF2145_zps453c87a7.jpeg

Anyway, on opening the box I was struck by its size, or lack of it. H'mmmmmmmmm I cannott see how its going to fit into the carnage the previous tiger has made.......... Hole in ice, tracks on grass etc. Shame really as the mouldings are quite crisp. The welts over the side skirt joins are a bit heavy but i could file them down. I'm particulary impressed with the piercing over the engine deck though. Also, if i use this vehicle the cobbles might seem to big.

DSCF2146_zps5ae6fe12.jpeg

So, I think I'm going for 1/48th something with soldiers in winter uniform but there again if was eastern europe perhaps summer dress?

Seriously dude, check out the Hobbyboss 1/48 T-34/85 (originally thought it was released under the Trumpeter label):

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/1-48th-t-34/4107/

It's one of the best kits I've every seen, much more detailed than most 1/35 kits even straight OOTB, add a few aftermarket bits and some TLC.....You've got a prize winner

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Seriously dude, check out the Hobbyboss 1/48 T-34/85 (originally thought it was released under the Trumpeter label):

It's one of the best kits I've every seen, much more detailed than most 1/35 kits even straight OOTB, add a few aftermarket bits and some TLC.....You've got a prize winner

I have just this bought this kit, thanks for the review and the advice..... I really can do this dio justice at last..........No longer a seven day Tiger build but a dio build which has had a change of direction...........

t-34-85-1944-type-with-flattened-turret-

tanks-general_ww2_soviet_zpsc8510fbe.png

Cheers, or should I say Спасибо

Looks line a good choice I have always liked the look of the T-34. I am only just taking a deeper interest in armour. I really enjoyed my first build and this dio is a big inspiration. Wish I had bought more armour kits at Telford now.

A half track would be nice on here part destroyed by the T34 or something's re suitable

Destroyed by it.

Maybe you could put some wire or obstacles in place behind the trees flattened where the tank has gone through after the big ice smashed pot hole.

Cheers Rob

Looks line a good choice I have always liked the look of the T-34. I am only just taking a deeper interest in armour. I really enjoyed my first build and this dio is a big inspiration. Wish I had bought more armour kits at Telford now.

A half track would be nice on here part destroyed by the T34 or something's re suitable

Destroyed by it.

Maybe you could put some wire or obstacles in place behind the trees flattened where the tank has gone through after the big ice smashed pot hole.

Cheers Rob

Cheers Rob, all points taken, sgt squarehead said a similar thing about obstacles, so watch this space......... :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see what you do with it.....Confession time here, if I were starting my AFV collection again I'd seriously consider 1/48. :whistle:

I see now, kits have come on so much more, you can get photo realistic depictions from smaller scales. I can't wait for my new kit to arrive. I will be working on it daily and improving the dio, then it will be worth.. 'ready for inspection'

Thanks guys.. :)

man thats a perfect dio... really great work... i have always wanted to try it myself but wouldnt know where to start ;-) perhaps my Sd.kfz.222 can be built a base....

• Like 1

Hi there. thanks for your kind comments.. If you ever wanted a hand building something similar don't hesitate to ask.. I have spent a lot of time making architectural models and similar so i have worked my way around all sorts of chemicals and resins and stuff.

If you dont mind asking I certainly like helping... :winkgrin:

man thats a perfect dio... really great work... i have always wanted to try it myself but wouldnt know where to start ;-) perhaps my Sd.kfz.222 can be built a base....

• Like 1

Can't wait to see what you do with it.....Confession time here, if I were starting my AFV collection again I'd seriously consider 1/48. :whistle:

Seriously, I will spend some time on this 1/48th T-34.. It should be about the same size as the 1/58th Tiger with a bit of luck, so it will fit in with track marks, ice damage etc.......

I'm quite happy to make sheet brass side skirts and stuff, hope it arrives tommorrow, will do build here... I'm gonna go for emulsion brush pea green with fresh rust and light snow over the thing. Tractor works special!

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing the much lorded kit. It sounds nice.

I take it the kitty hawk 48th Foxbat is already put on the stash pile for a while then. Be nice to find out if some resins are coming out for that.

Rob ;)

I am looking forward to seeing the much lorded kit. It sounds nice.

I take it the kitty hawk 48th Foxbat is already put on the stash pile for a while then. Be nice to find out if some resins are coming out for that.

Rob ;)

I saw a build by Jay Laverty who thought quite highly of this model, at 48th scale it should be around the size of the former tiger. Hopefully i should locate some troops as well. I'm quite happy to do some super detailing if i can. Skirts, ariel etc..

The foxbat is going to dream in its box for a while and may be a spring jobby after the sturmtiger but who knows I might want a change after armour, this will be my second go at this dio :banghead:

Also, when i do the foxbat I don't want to leave anything out and regret it afterwards....... This might be lights, cockpit detailing and extra etch. I recon as its a new kit there might be more around in the future so perhaps I should wait. I popped over to see your Vulcan, very impressive, I'll know where to go for advice :winkgrin: when it's the crucial time

WOwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Thanks for the advice, you were not exagerating in any way!!!!

The kit came late yesterday, left unkown by me with neighbours..

Ok, here we go.......New box, 'Much' bigger than I thought it would be and boy is it heavy, I wonder why............. On old dio for comparison

DSCF2148_zps871b6f1e.jpeg

No wonder it is heavy, it is stuffed with stuff, beautifully packaged as well. There are a ton of sprues which seem to be very, very detailed. Cripes!

DSCF2149_zpsf950a9d1.jpeg

There are two sheets of very detailed instructions and one very detailed colour painting guide. I'm very impressed.

DSCF2157_zps9962f241.jpeg

These wheels are some of the nicest I have seen at any scale and reflect the general superb quality..

DSCF2155_zps7f9d2ddf.jpeg

And then.......... as an absolute bargain, some nice engine cover brass works and copper cable for forming tow items.

I reckon that this kit at £10.00 or so is a steal...... I would go as far as saying that pound for pound that it is the best value kit I have ever puchased. I am absolutley gobsmacked at the level of detail and options for leaving hatches open etc..

Thanks Sgt squarehead for suggesting this :winkgrin:

DSCF2152_zpseb637162.jpeg

The level of detail is shown really by the instructions.............. Engine blocks and much, much more..

DSCF2157_zps9962f241.jpeg

I am chuffed because the hull will take up the space of the old 1/58th tiger perfectly as show here.............

DSCF2154_zps280a1988.jpeg

I'll start the build later on but also I'm going re-think my dio base. Clear water with plants and girders under the ice and in the canal and a shell hole with granite setts thrown everywhere.

DSCF2147_zpsf094d34a.jpeg

Thought you might like it! :winkgrin:

How are you off for T-34 references.....I've got some very useful books saved as .pdf files, pm me with your e-mail address if you want them. :hmmm:

Ok, thanks! :thumbsup:

That does look like a stunning kit. Looking forward to this. Also looking forward to getting back home and restart some modelling. Work.... The curse of the modelling class

The kit is nut's, not just in detail but in compexity, 400 parts, 14 sprues plus etch, The mouldings are crisp and well defined too.

Dude.....It appears we both live in Worcester. :lol:

Well theres a coincidence, not a bad part of the world, Worcesters got some not bad pubs and suchlike, shame antics shut down.. it should never have happened really....