seven day Tiger build with dio.............

Precision Ice & Snow

I have been left some excellent kits by my sons who have discovered girls and alcohol...............

DSCF1777_zps49524b8b.jpeg

DSCF1710_zps79668fdd.jpg

And.................

DSCF1709_zps8baad023.jpg

• Like 1

I kid you not, the dust is original and the boxes are out of the loft and where tucked around the house. The Schnellboot came to a halt as it was purchased with full etch which would have made it top heavy for water. The original idea was to make it full R/C with working Larsen effect, lights, moving everthing, sound, you name it. difficult to do with full etch though as it is so delicate.

Anyway, I started the Sturm tiger below as I wanted to dio it with the emphasis on landscape, weathering etc. Then I came to a halt because I realised I could detail the interior......... :banghead:

I wanted to get on with the exterior really, in the last pic I have included a detail of a Bovington Tiger with nice mesh grills which I intend to scratch build when I get around to loosening my dilema

DSCF1712_zps4ea1a1e9.jpg

DSCF1715_zps82471b78.jpg

DSCF1724_zps747b2499.jpg

DSCF1724_zps747b2499.jpg

DSCF1728_zps7c4715d3.jpg

DSCF1716_zps47bfb525.jpg

Bovington_178_Jagdtiger_engine_1_zpsc9bf

• Like 3

Anyway, I recon the safest thing to do is leave it rather than having a muddled build and move on for the moment.

So here we go, as a destraction while my mind sorts itself out I'm going to do the craftspersons trick. Just leave it for a while and by next weekend I'll know what to do with the Sturmtiger, I hope......

This little Tiger is 1/54th scale. I can use it to experiment with where I want to go with the Tiger dio in the future. It won't take up much time or room and will be fun to do...............

DSCF1794_zps33f24c80.jpg

I have marked out the insulation board with a canal to the front, the tiger is sat on a paved road and behind it and lower will be a water course.

• Like 1

I borrowed a bread knife to carve the foam roughly as it does not generate to much crumb with its sharp blade. perfect, just dont tell anyone indoors! You can see the form of the landscape starting to form....

DSCF1823_zps24fcd705.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm going to use Das as I can keep it workable for as long as I want and then harden it as the stages progress.

DSCF1826_zps3e8f60d7.jpeg

• Like 2

I have sprayed the foam first with matt black acrylic car paint to stabilize it. It is easier for the Das to stick like this this. Also, I used water to slurry the Das which is then smeared hard over the foam to get good adhesion before layers are built up. I am imprinting the basalt setts with a tool that I have made. At this scale they would be 4-6 inches square. Not an unusual size in europe. They are roughly put in at this stage but I will return to them to tidy them up later....

DSCF1831_zps9c54884a.jpeg

• Like 2

More setts in place, some are bunched tight together and some are more iregular with with soil etc over the setts shoulders. I have punched some of the setts through so as to create gaps. I real life, when setts work loose, debris starts to get underneath and eventually the setts will be pushed out like loose teeth. Even out of the middle of panels of paving. Some of the proud areas around the shoulders of the setts will get the green moss, grass treatment later.

DSCF1835_zps92fbd3f3.jpeg

• Like 2

I finished the setts for the moment, so i started the canal to the front.It will be constructed from ashlar blocks eventually, the top of which will be just above the height of the adjacent paving. There will be drainage channels to relieve the camber from the paving. The canal is shallow towards the bank which is a common feature which is why tyou can sometimes see abadoned bikes etc just below the surface.

DSCF1855_zps7ba61a12.jpeg

• Like 3

Thats excellent love how you have use the DAS, how did you create the tiles so fast ?

The tiger looks nice too, Will be watching this one with interest. I am getting really keen on the idea of doing some Armour stuff. it looks fun.

Cheers Rob

This will do for one evening, time for the oven!

DSCF1856_zps3117f098.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Rob :thumbsup:

Ho, Hum, that was close, I forgot I was cooking something :mental: The base board has actually distorted a little and is not level now such was the heat.. However, the Das has hardened like carveable hard cheese and is stuck to the base board like glue with no distortion, cracking or delamination. can there be a quicker way to build up a dio. Perfect, thats enough for one evening, see you soon. Lurcher1

DSCF1820_zpsfed9e2ef.jpg

• Like 1

The trick with the imptinting is to use the right wood for the tool, not to have the Das to sticky and to use a straight edge across the paving as a guide as you work. Das is good because it stays workable until you want to hit it with heat to stabilise it so to speak. When I was off for tea and things though I would reccomend covering it with cling film or suchlike to retain its pliability. The speed thing is just a knack as I used to make archtectural models.

Thats excellent love how you have use the DAS, how did you create the tiles so fast ?

The tiger looks nice too, Will be watching this one with interest. I am getting really keen on the idea of doing some Armour stuff. it looks fun.

Cheers Rob

your welcome. so what else for this dio. buildings, trees, etc ?

Dunno yet.

• Like 1

well its damn fine work and thanks for the tips. This would be great for when I get around to making my model railway. A few old fashioned town streets like that with the glow of yellow light from old fashioned shops cast out onto them would look very cosey and nice.

The only thing I have made out of DAS is a bird for my mrs.I found it drys in your hands easy and it just annoyed me. I guess its like everything else a skill that you aquire with practice..

Making architectural models is very cool.

I visited york minster recently and I spent hours in there looking at all the work its just mind blowing what we used to build its just amazing to think how much work must have gone into such things.

Cheers Rob

Welcome Lurcher - looks like an interesting build going on!!

Pete

Hello lurcher, liking this thread a lot. I'm working on a berlin dio at the mo (have been for about 8 months and not much progress), so loads of cobbles. It's in 1/72 and I'm cobble budging in a similar way, using the ferrul of an old brush, but struggling to make me small enough and fast enough before the DAS dries. How much water are you using to mix with the clay? Look forward to next post,

Jk

Welcome Lurcher - looks like an interesting build going on!!

Pete

Cheers Pete, l'm going to introduce water with a bit of a twist I hope, we will see how it goes. I have set myself a bit of a challenge with this one though, finished for friday night :yikes:

I'm working till midnight tonight I think..........

Hi JayKay, thanks for your positive post. I am working in cool :cold: conditions and that may help but it does take a long time and keeping the Das workable can be a pain. I always keep it covered when I'm away and of course my baseboard is non absorbant which helps. A good trick is to get a small plant handsprayer and set it on fine and give the stuff a few squirts before storing it under polythene. Are you using the same stuff as me?

You have my respect for working cobbles in 1/72 :thumbsup2: I generally only mix water to get it to stick to the baseboard, as a sort of key I suppose as the insulating board dosent like anything stuck to it at all. When i do this it really is like a thin gooey slurry.

Cos I'm imprinting with a concave square wooden thingy if its too wet it tends to go horrid. So I like my Das on the top to be like plasticine in consistency. If I can be of any help get in touch.......

I'm out to the workshop now for part 2.

Lurcher1

Hello lurcher, liking this thread a lot. I'm working on a berlin dio at the mo (have been for about 8 months and not much progress), so loads of cobbles. It's in 1/72 and I'm cobble budging in a similar way, using the ferrul of an old brush, but struggling to make me small enough and fast enough before the DAS dries. How much water are you using to mix with the clay? Look forward to next post,
Jk

OK, I'm back, worked till midnight last night, nice and snug in the workshop though with an oil filled radiator. Winter was definatley here last night..............

DSCF1871_zps9abfaefc.jpeg

Out comes the carving knife again, I wasn't sure how to tackle this side of the paving so left it proud so I could carve it if I wanted. In the end, I had a different plan. So the raised lond bit has to go.......

After some lengthy printing with another wooden die I printed some long retaining setts along the edge.......

DSCF1873_zps7b14f79f.jpeg

Then I turned my attention to the other side adjacent to the wall, I wanted more of the same really along the walls base.......... You can see where I have cut out the old scruffy paving showing the foam. I always knew that I would be making these changes for the better.

DSCF1882_zps51c684f1.jpeg

You can see the new paving in a couple of pictures but now I started to mark out the masonry blockwork for the canal wall. This bond is called ashlar and is very common.......

DSCF1884_zps19799efd.jpeg

In this pictures below, I have started to incise the joints between the stone blocks and carved them so they have slighlty different inclinations. Also I have changed the bulk of each stone to give it individually. (every stone has it's own life and story)

DSCF1890_zps65cee81b.jpeg

DSCF1893_zps6b627cbd.jpeg

DSCF1897_zps42bd9da3.jpeg

DSCF1899_zps077cf889.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks wonderful I love the wall. I can really let my imagination go looking at this. I keep wanting to see a horse and cart on that street and a couple walking down the other side with children runing around playing in victorian get ups. I guess it wont be like that but its very charming indeed.

I'll put some better pics of the new paving and wall later. I have carved the front of the blocks also so that there are subtle differences in their orientation.

Now comes the exciting bit. :ninja:

There will be two frozen water features on this dio. The canal and the water course lower down and iregular. I intend to use one of two 'miracle' products which are abound everywhere now. Fiorst though i need to terst them so I know what they are capable of and what damage they might do to the baseboard and styrene :rolleyes:

I used the products below as you cane see.......

DSCF1868_zps075dd837.jpeg

And, I arranged the tests as you can see below. Two shell holes filled with one of each mix and two containers, each with a bit of styrene steel column in............... Fingers crossed.............

DSCF1879_zps93106585.jpeg

Its a miracle :D The base board has not disolved over night...... Even with the styrene on the right hand side......... The styrene girder, is still there and intact...........Yes!, Yes!, Yes! I'm so happy...........

DSCF1912_zps424fd43c.jpeg

DSCF1902_zps3cb000d0.jpeg

DSCF1907_zps6e20e01a.jpeg

• Like 2

This one is the PE, or polyester.........

DSCF1910_zps856c9740.jpeg

This one is the stuff florists use for flowers etc............

DSCF1908_zps17dc5bb4.jpeg

I tinted the resin before casting it. I'm after a clear brackish look, kinda browny green in colour like you get in rivers in the south west of England cos of all that peat. Crystal clear but tinted..........

Now I know that both resins will not disolve my work what next. Well, I have now got to choose. The flower resin has a gorgeous ability to creep up the perimeter of the shell hole natrually making it look damp and boggy and very, very wet.

The polyester has a cleaner edge with less creep, but the surface is rippled more and not so flawless.................. We will see.............

I have now got to introduce my water to my dio.................. Fingers crossed

• Like 2