Kicking Enzo Matrix up the... elbow

Enzo the Magnificent

Okay... so I'm anatomically misinformed... :lol:

First thing to do is finish off four Griffon Spitfires. These were started in this thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936590-theres-more-than-one-way-to-skin-a-cat/

They got stalled when I decided to take part in four concurrent group builds :mental: but now I'm going to finish 'em off.

So, here we go:

19-001.jpg

19-002.jpg

FR14-001.jpg

FR14-002.jpg

14c-001.jpg

14c-002.jpg

14e-001.jpg

14e-002.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thanks Mark.

Here are some photos.

This is the 1/48 Airfix PR.XIX built almost OOB, using Xtradecals.

19-003.jpg

19-004.jpg

19-005.jpg

19-006.jpg

This is a Mk.XIVc. It is pretty much the 1/48 Hasegawa IX kit using the engines, prop and radiators from the Airfix Mk.24. Decals are from various general sheets.

14c-003.jpg

14c-004.jpg

14c-005.jpg

This is a Mk.XIVe. It uses the fuselage from the Airfix PR.XIX and the wing from the Hasegawa IX. Decals are by Freightdog.

14e-003.jpg

14e-004.jpg

14e-005.jpg

14e-006.jpg

And finally an FR.XIVe. Fuselage, prop and radiators from the Airfix Mk.24. Wings and heavily modified tail from the Hasegawa IX.

FR14-003.jpg

FR14-004.jpg

FR14-005.jpg

FR14-006.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Enzo. A Mk.XIV Spitfire seems to be the latest 'holy grail' of 1/48th Spitfire modellers, but you made combing the Hasegawa and Airfix bits look so easy!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Enzo. A Mk.XIV Spitfire seems to be the latest 'holy grail' of 1/48th Spitfire modellers, but you made combing the Hasegawa and Airfix bits look so easy!

That's 'cos it is! :D However, it's not an inexpensive option.

Luckily I have another seven Hasegawa Mk.IX kits in The Stash, either in Hasegawa or Revell boxes. I have had them for some time and most were bought when Hasegawa kits were at reasonable prices. They have all been rendered pretty much redundant as Mk.IXs by the superb Eduard kit, so they will all eventually donate their wings to Griffon Spitfires. For me, it is an inexpensive option as the cost of the Hasegawa kits has long since been amortised, so another Mk.XIV would only really cost me the price of an Airfix XIX kit. Nearly ten years ago I bought half a dozen Airfix Mk.24 kits in bags with no decals or instructions for three quid each. So if I wanted to build a Mk.XIV or Mk.XVIII now, they would cost me effectively nothing. :thumbsup:

There's a thought... I don't have a Mk.XVIII in the collection.

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Thats a gorgeous collection there Enzo, currently building the Academy mk XIV with the Daco improvement set as i had hoped when i started it prior to December that airfix would be announcing a new tool one this year :(

Still living in hope for next year but taken note of how you have gone around it for a future project, youve got some great results and made it look a lot more straightforwards than grafting the Daco nose onto the Academy kit (and resulting in a much more accurate looking plane)

Great work :) Stu

• Like 1