SEPECAT Jaguar A 1:48

Mike

I started this one just as the kit hit our shores, but as is sometimes the case with me, I got distracted by something more shiny during the last stages, so after a long sabatical I've finally summoned the courage to finish it off, which involved a little touching up of some of the paint, a complete change of load-out and fabrication of a few parts that had gone missing in the interim. She's almost OOB apart from those parts, plus the replacement box inside one of the flap bays where a 2nd APU exhaust was placed in the kit :doh: There is also a set of Paragon wheels hanging off the landing gear, as the kit parts are quite a bit over-scale in this edition. The main wheels have been shrunk down on subsequent releases, but you'll still need to reduce your nose wheel to make it look right.

I decided to model it as a desert camo aircraft after a long stint of use, photos of which are available online if you look, and that's what I patterned the weathering after. If it looks over-done to you, just check out the photos, as these things were filthy! If you think it's badly done though, I'm afraid that's down to me ^_^ I did intend to detail the engine to give it more realistic spaghetti around it once installed, but I'm afraid I just wanted it finished in the end, so I painted the little bits I'd already added. :shrug: It was difficult to tie all the aspects of the weathering together when the kit was still in several sub-assemblies, so some things needed sorting once they were spotted, such as the re-painting of the air-brakes to the Dark Earth colour when I noticed the surrounding area during installation. Some bits I just plumb forgot about, such as the undersides of the elevators, which I just didn't weather at all... :doh: By then it was just too late, as I was taking pictures, and bound to break something off. As usual, if you had a good look over it, you'd see plenty of human error and inaccuracies, but it looks ok when you're staring at it from 3' ;)

The pics:

complete1.jpg

complete2.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete4.jpg

complete5.jpg

complete6.jpg

complete7.jpg

complete8.jpg

You can skim through the WIP here if you're interested :)

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gents - as to the leading edge, it's much easier to fix that (if it bothers you) than fix the fuselage spine under the tail on the Airfix kit, which is very shallow. Oh, and all the other shortcoming of the ancient Airfix kit :shrug:

• Like 1