The Culture & Other British Sci-Fi @ Britmodeller

Surely "Clear Air Turbulence" should be the first one to try as it wasn't actually a mind-controlled ship, but there are some good descriptions of it in Consider Phlebas which was the first full length Culture novel.

As for true Culture ships, what about "Sleeper Service" otherwise known as 'The Meatf****r', from Excession (I seem to remember).

Or in addition, what about a Lighthugger from Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space novels?

I've just been reading the list of culture spacecraft wikipedia page and it had me laughing out loud a couple of times and I finally understand the Gravitas running joke!

His skill in playing with the English language is just one of the joys of his writing. The staggering scope of his imagination and intelligence are others. I started thinking of other suitable ship names and came up with "No User Serviceable Parts Inside".

You are thinking of Grey Matter from Excession whose nickname was meat***ker.

There is the Ship "But Who's Counting?" and another ship called "Me, I'm counting".

I do like "Frank exchange of views" from Excession... problem is the names are superb byt wtf did they look like???? :)

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

I've just been reading the list of culture spacecraft wikipedia page and it had me laughing out loud a couple of times and I finally understand the Gravitas running joke!

Stood Far Back when the Gravitas Was Handed Out

My favourite, though, is (said in a whisper) "I said, I've got a very big stick".

• Like 2

Surely "Clear Air Turbulence" should be the first one to try as it wasn't actually a mind-controlled ship, but there are some good descriptions of it in Consider Phlebas which was the first full length Culture novel.

As for true Culture ships, what about "Sleeper Service" otherwise known as 'The Meatf****r', from Excession (I seem to remember).

Or in addition, what about a Lighthugger from Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space novels?

I was originally, and became again, The Quietly Confident. It's a long but interesting way to Leo II :thumbsup:

In the interest of accuracy I should point out that the Culture is roughly contemporary with the present day. The events in Excession took place in your year 2067 approx, Consider Phlebas refers to the Idiran War about 1331.

• Like 1

Will there be heated discussions on the lines off

Too many rivets

Too wide and deep panels lines

The shape is off

The colour is not right

Oh God it's unbuildable

Must have missed one

For a second there I thought you were suggesting ship names for the build... ;).

• Like 7

Meat****er is "Grey Area".....He mind-rapes fascists so I rather like him, he's in more than one book IIRC. :nerd:

What about a Wu-Handrahen.....Given a bit more thought, I've come to the conclusion that 'Player Of Games' offers more possibilities than I first imagined, including amongst other things 'Lava-Rafting' IIRC. :D

I had to come back to that one a second time......Made a lot more sense to me once I'd got a better grip on The Culture. B)

There's just something about 'Against A Dark Background'.....The book's utter madness from beginning to end, but I just couldn't put it down (it's the sci-fi 'Wasp Factory'). :D

• Like 2

Will there be heated discussions on the lines off

Too many rivets

Too wide and deep panels lines

The shape is off

The colour is not right

Oh God it's unbuildable

Must have missed one

Now what would those Ships look like?

"Too Many Rivets" sounds like a ROU to me while "Must have missed one" is definitely a GCU. "The shape is off" is likely to be an Eccentric GSV, "The Colour is not right" a Very Fast Picket and "Oh God its unbuildable" an Orbital!

• Like 2

I really like some of those names.....I can easily imagine 'The Colour's Not Right' & 'The Shape Is Off' as GCUs, 'Must Have Missed One' is a natural for a ROU and 'Oh God it's Unbuildable' sounds like a GSV to me! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Was typing it at the same time as TCoaDH.....Again interesting to see the difference in our takes on stuff. :coolio:

Reckon this could turn up some great builds.....If we let the imagination displayed in this thread loose on some plastic we can't go wrong surely? :thumbsup:

It really isn't like anyone can have any legitimate grounds to criticise, whatever we do.....I certainly won't be looking back at the books to hunt for nits to pick. What interests me is what Banks' imagination triggers in yours.....I can already see what's in mine (whether I can build it is another matter entirely, but I'm willing to give it a shot). :winkgrin:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 2