The Culture & Other British Sci-Fi @ Britmodeller

No construction on this yet.....Still playing with the parts plus the contents of my (distinctly tank oriented) spares box to see what I might be able to come up with. I'm thinking I will probably need to pick up some more cheap donor kits before I start, as I will need six air to surface missiles, some jets (or maybe turbofans), possibly some alternative tail surfaces and I have literally none of these things to hand at present. Once I've got all the bits I'll need it will be mock-up time at which point I'll take some pictures. I've found in the past that hacking kits to bits and then trying to stick the bits together without a plan can have really ugly results. :pipe:

• 3 weeks later...

Just as you see it.....It will be mounted in the nose, just like in the book. I bought a couple of 'em (wish I'd bought a dozen now), so I'll probably disassemble one to see if it's possible to rearrange their components into a more convenient package for use in the model. :pipe:

Nice! I wondered about using a laser diode in the scope for my robot, but it was too small/too difficult :(

If you want one you can probably get them from your local pound shop or equivalent. I bought several "LED/laser pens" from the two dollar shop in Wellington, for the princely sum of two dollars each. Getting the innards out is easy and you end up with useful pushbuttons, driver circuits, button cells etc.

Will

That's exactly what I'm doing Will, spotted mine on eBay for just over a quid.....I'm still just messing with various bits at the moment, but I figured at that price, if I knacker them, so what? :shrug:

Your epic 'Drone-Sniper' along with the much admired 'Attitude Adjuster' were both major inspirations for me getting involved in all this BTW. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed your Sci-Fi builds so much I fancied one of my own (doubt it'll be anywhere near the same standard though). :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1

Your epic 'Drone-Sniper' along with the much admired 'Attitude Adjuster' were both major inspirations

Aww, thanks KT (I am assuming you mean me).

I have a question though.

Are you not going to start a dedicated thread for this - I think it would be good if it had a proper title and begining, otherwise its a bit messy.

When I've got all the required bits, know where they will go and how to connect them together.....Certainly! :winkgrin:

I'm still messing with ideas, seeing what's out there and whether I can use it at the moment.....Once I've got everything together I'll start a WIP thread. I reckon I'm going to need another donor kit with jet equipped wings, were there any big jet seaplanes other than the Martin Seamaster? :shrug:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1

Your idea of the Ar.234 pods has done the trick.....I've taken a razor-saw to the kit, which counts as work I guess, so I've started a WIP here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951209-against-a-dark-background-solipsist-flying-boat/

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...