The Culture & Other British Sci-Fi @ Britmodeller

Literary SF is difficult, because it will likely be more of a scratchbuilding contest. And, strictly speaking, that would also exclude even 2001, which was written by Clarke apres the film.

Of course, arguably, if you did a British TV sci-fi scratchbuilding group build, it could easily be combined with the "under a tenner" group build...

If we limited it to British SF, we could get some Blakes 7, Dr Who, Gerry Anderson... I'm sure I'll end up building another Gerry Anderson model... Now if it were limited to "Literary" Sci Fi then we'd get Iain M Banks, Peter F Hamilton, Philip K Dick, Arthur C Clarke and so on... might be an interesting alternative?

Oh and by "Literary" SF I don't mean novelizations of TV SF franchises!!!

That's a very good idea! :thumbsup:

I'd be strongly inclined to include film & TV as this would encourage a lot more participants and opens the GB up to those who prefer to work OOTB (like me as a rule). :pipe:

Anyone fancy opening up a thread in GB Chat nominating a British Sci-Fi GB.....Based on what we've seen in this thread, I reckon it would be a popular suggestion. B)

PS - Vogon Constructor Ship anyone? :hmmm:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1

Been having a closer look at the Beriev.....The wings are very substantial, more oval shaped than air foil in section and there's really not much difference at all in thickness between the leading and trailing edges. With some judicicious application of plastic card plating, much filler and the coarse-rasp, I reckon I can have myself a pusher. B)

As for the cockpit & canopy I'm thinking basic interior and possibly one crew figure (if I ever find them) and fashion a completely new canopy.....I'd like to give this area a sci-fi look, possibly paired bubble or blister type canopies either side of the centreline to give it a bug eyed look. :nerd:

If any of you guys have big boxes filled to the brim with modern aircraft spares, I could really use your help.....In return I can only offer similar boxes filled with small scale WWII AFV bits including (and I know these are essential to every sci-fi scratch builder) plenty of panzer wheels. :D

I'd kind of like to do something 'electrical' to it, but I'm utterly useless at this sort of stuff, I can do the basics, but circuit design is beyond me......My electronics training at college came to an abrupt end when I gave the kid sat in front of me frost-bite of the butt-cheeks with a can of PCB Freeze Spray and some stealthily positioned airline tubing! :devil:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I like the idea - so much so, that if the GB idea doesn't float, I'd like to suggest the idea of a "Buddy Build". In other words, no formal structure or moderation by Mish, but a sort of loose collection of participants acting as a Zetetic Elench*.

* Do you have any idea how long I've waited to get that phrase into a sentence?

• Like 4

Of course, arguably, if you did a British TV sci-fi scratchbuilding group build, it could easily be combined with the "under a tenner" group build...

That sounds too low budget to me, we are talking high brow SciFi here.

Hmmm.....This thread is very perplexing! Target it at a single author's work and it goes bonkers......Open it up to British sci-fi in general and it goes quiet as the grave! Where are all the Gerry Anderson & Dr.Who fans? Is nobody secretly yearning to build the Liberator or Red Dwarf? :shrug:

Given a kit at the right price, I'd love to build Starbug, Thunderbird 2, Eagles,

And a few others. But, Dosh is tight so I can't shell out for resin etc.

Time is tight to, and there's only so much a bloke can do.

Pete

Agree with Mike about Joe Haldeman, Forever War is an incredible novel. (I enjoyed Forever Peace, but I don't think it was as impactful for me.) I think it could be hard to film though. And he's not a Brit :)

However, that does remind me of gravity suits in Halo Jones - so there's all that rich vein of 2000AD British Sci-Fi to be mined.

Brian Aldiss' Hothouse would make for some interesting models too.

Will

No please not Rendezvous with Rama coz then they'd have to make the sequels and they were turgid trash (sorry if you liked them). Mote would be very interesting as a movie, but RIngworld would not work - too much backstory required and they'd just simplify it too much and the RIngwold would NEVER be as impressive as it was in your mind's eye.

• Like 2

If we're talking Niven, how about 'Footfall'.....Fairly sure he's an American though. :whistle:

Minor snag with the Breiev project.....Finally got to the seaplane in the book and discovered it's a jet! :doh:

I'm a bit stuck.....Was planning on refitting the inner wings as described above to achieve a pusher. Intended to cut the wings off at the first panel line outboard of the nacelles and fit them in the original orientation to give a cranked gull wing, hopefully with retractable wing tip floats. The only specific mention of the seaplane's propulsion relates to the sound of jets, so I might get away with a couple of B-47 style booster jets, but where the hell would you put them on a sea plane? :hmmm: