Ideas on a Base for My Dalek

okay - stumbled across the original site here...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.parker197/standard_wallpapers/dalek_widescreen_wallpapers.html

with this being one of my favorite shots...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.parker197/standard_wallpapers/wallpapers/Hoverbouts%20Over%20A%20Strange%20Sea%207%201440x900.html

I'm pretty certain one of these Dalek hoverbouts would make a great base for a display case, provided one could find a suitable perpsex dome - which given their availability - shouldn't be too difficult

just google DALEK HOVERBOUT and hit "images" - there's a great selection to choose from (or combine!)

*edited fer spulling*

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

I'm not convinced, it probably PP which paint won't stick to and its not that nice to work with, I'm thinking more scratch built out of plasticard. Much more thinking is required though.

Edited by Nigel Heath

OMG hendie thank you for posting that link to MechMaster - I found the Second Empire online graphic novel on that site and have spent most of today reading it - utterly superb, hilariously funny and really exciting and at one point incredibly moving - I never thought I'd shed a tear due to caring about a bloody Dalek!!! Utterly brilliant! I really do stringly recommend setting aside a few hours to read this, you'll be glad you did!

http://www.mechmaster.co.uk/cg-lair/daleks/secemphome.htm

• Like 1

I really do stringly recommend setting aside a few hours to read this, you'll be glad you did!

I am not sure what to make of this; possibly you are recommending to read in a hammock?

I have had great diffuculty looking for a round cake tin recently, but last week found a set of 3 in Liddle, ,if turned upside down it could hold the batteries inside unfortuantly haveing just read your specs again I see it needs to be 226mm and this is only 225mm, but could be handy in the kitchen .

• Like 1

I just woke up this morning with a very rare brain wave. I also saw in Liddle a poster up advertising a robotic vacuum cleaner, one of those that do their own thing., it looked as if it was about 35 - 40cm in diameter.

Food for thought ?

• Like 1

Thanks Stuck, interesting, I will investigate at my local Lidl tonight. To do proper justice I think the outside diameter for my hoverbout need to be about 420mm. Quite big.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath

I am now thinking about making using plaster of Paris to make a plug and then making a mould out of fibre glass. I could then either use this to vacform the hoverbout body (at this size it would be very tricky) or make it out of more fibre glass. I have used similar technique to make plaster uplighters in the past. Unfortunately all of the materials I need to do this are in deep storage so the base may have to be put on hold for a bit (one year plus? or at least until after Christmas).

Do you mean this?

http://www.lidl.com.mt/cps/rde/xchg/SID-1A4EFB93-61747743/lidl_mt/hs.xsl/index_21429.ht

Well actually I thought the one I saw was a bit more expensive than that not a mop . My thinking was a man of your many talents could do something with the gubins ( innards).

The thought of a robotic dalek vacuum cleaner dancing around the lounge i am sure would have the investors queuing around the block.

Look forward to seeing you on Dragons Den

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. The mk 3 is the original name for the travel machine designed by Davros (we never saw the mks 1 & 2). The white/gold ones have always been known as the Imperial model.

It appears to be a bit of a minefield this does.

Some people are referring to Dalek Mk's depending upon the episodes they first appeared in. For example, I am concentrating on building a Mk III, which first appeared in Episode 3, The Chase.

Depending upon which web site you visit, this particular model may or may not be a Mk III

I believe you are correct however, in stating that the White/Gold Daleks have always been referred to as the Imperial Daleks

Like hendie, I am not sure. The kit is for a fairly early version of a Dalek, I would say around "Day of the Daleks" broadcast in 1972. The scheme I have chosen for mine is based on the supreme Dalek commander in the "Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150AD" film. From the information supplied to me by hendie most of the features are indicated as Mk 1:

P1020808_zpsa89ac26f.jpg