Ideas on a Base for My Dalek

My thoughts have turned to getting a base for my Dalek. I have not got a clue where to start. I suppose there are commercial bases out there or I could adapt something else like a plastic tray. It has to be hollow to house the pp9 battery pack and I was thinking circular but am not tied to that idea. The base of my Dalek measures 226 x 167mm. I am thinking of a sandy texture with perhaps the odd PU foam boulder as the background landscape.

Any ideas would be great.

Hmm, not sure about what to use for a circular base. For my Nautilus I found a portable backgammon set in a wooden case in a charity shop; I needed a place to put the battery, as you do. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946277-pegasus-nautilus/

Plastic or metal might be more suitable for a Dalek though, would one of the larger Ferrero Rocher trays be deep enough for a battery? Or, it just occured to me, some pizzas are packed on circular bases made from foam styrene. A couple of those, separated with suitable spacers, could be made to look like flooring bought from the Skaro branch of Ikea, and hide batteries and circuit boards between them.

I'll put the kettle on and go and have a think...

While gazing out of the window waiting for the kettle to boil, I was watching the sparrows splashing in their bird-bath. It's a plastic saucer for putting beneath pots in the garden, a bit like these: http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-d-cor/pots-planters/outdoor_pots/38cm-Universal-Saucer-Green-Deep-9297872

It might work for Daleks upside-down.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Some good ideas there Jabberwocky. I think I should have a mooch around the pound shops and DIY sheds for ideas. Plastic planter dishes are one idea but I don't want it to be obvious that's what it is. The best thing I have found so far is a 12" dia. metal tray, 4cm deep, slightly too big and I would also prefer plastic because of the electrical connections I have to make through it. It would also probably just look like an upside down tray. Elliptical could look nice but even harder to find.

Thanks for having a think.

The solution is obvious. You need a scratch built staircase. The newel post at the bottom can be used as a switch, while the essential cupboard under the stairs will be ideal for hiding the two batteries.

Two batteries?
One to power the lights, the second to motorise the dome so the Dalek can shake its head dolefully as it contemplates the inevitability of the task.
Much like this: http://doctorwho.neoseeker.com/wiki/File:Punch_daleks.gif

:winkgrin:

Have a scounge around the 'household' goodies in a Poundland/world shop. You may be able to find a melamine bowl or tray which might be suitable for conversion. Also look in the 'halloween' sections there and in ASDA. Again you may find something which can be altered to suit.

For the love of god, why didn't that damned Dalek just fire.....He has Sylvester McCoy square in his sights so what does he do? He rants until the theme music runs and we all know what that means......Another bloody episode with Sylvester McCoy in it! :wall:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1

how about a diorama?

I think the scale and level of detail warrant a 3d structure around AA - could be all high tech with shiny surfaces and mirrors, or complete devastation with rubble and burnt timbers etc

Sounds like hard work and another model project in itself. It has got me thinking though. My vision was that he was speeding across some alien desert landscape, keeping it fairly neutral so that AA was the centre of attention.

What about him standing in front of the Sugar Puffs poster?

I've been trying to think of an Iconic image of a lone Dalek from those early days but you could try for one from Day of the Daleks from Jon Pertwee era - it was the first time we saw Daleks in colour on TV, so you could do one crossing the lawn of an English Country House...

How about this:

zoom_14575_rnd-cake-cool.jpg

It's a Curver cake box, the bottom tray is hollow for the use of freeze packs. Measures out at 347mm. It's 30mm deep.

My missus has this one ,it's a fairly good size.

Or:zoom_54476_prty-cool.jpg

Measures out at 450x 295.

Can be seen here in the kitchen section: http://www.curver.com/gbr

Obviously you'll buy a lid you wont use, but there is plenty of room to put a battery pack?

Sean

How about a field of skulls, I'm sure AA would appreciate that esthetic!

Very Iain M Banks, those hells still make me shudder.

And, yes, my little nutter AA would like that.

Wouldn't he sort of bog down.....It'd certainly be very a crunchy ride! :shrug:

I have to reffer to page one, please excuse me for a while.

I came across a site a few months back where some guy had created a whole series of Dalek "transporter's" and he had a series of really cool renderings showing the Dalek's in flight... I'll see if I can track it down (in fact sounds like a good idea for my own build)