Fairey Barracuda to be restored at Yeovilton

bootneck

As its being done by Kiltech in Newcastle I would say no.

Julien

The news article says that sections are going to Newcastle. The way I read it was that final assembly will be at the museum.

Good news indeed. As a matter of interest how many complete Barracudas exist around the world?

According to the article, there are none. I wish them the best of luck in this endeavour - always great to see rare aeroplanes restored.

Regards,

Jason

I had a tour around the back hangar at the museum 2 years ago and they had a lot of the bits (I would like to say parts but they were literally bits!) laid out. It'll be a monumental job but I hope they do it as it would look spectacular - in an ugly kind of way!

I'm no expert, but I think I'm right in saying that the Barracuda served the Fleet Air Arm in greater numbers than any other aircraft type - which makes it all the more sad that no complete example survived. The project to rebuild one from the wrecks of at least three is fascinating - there's a superb website at www.barracudaproject.co.uk which includes a very entertaining monthly diary and which never ceases to amaze me - the ability to restore parts from unrecognisable lumps of torn and twisted metal has to be seen to be believed. It is great to think that one day, hopefully before too long, it will be possible to see a complete Barra - in all its ungainly loveliness!

• Like 1