AEC Mandator Mk.V refuellers RN - dimensions or plans?

bootneck

• 2 weeks later...

the larger tankers are Leyland Marathon chassis/cabs, only the RN used them, Raf stuck to the lower cab so they could be transported by C-130 if required

I believe the small tankers with booms were Bedford MJ or possible KM versions.

Edited by Hawkkeeper

I have given up on trying to find Mammoth Major refuellers at RN air stations and so am going to attempt an AEC Mandator build instead.  Problem is that I do not have any schematics or dimensions for these; can anyone assist please?

Looking at other trucks, that do have dimensions, I notice that some have large front bumpers and towing hooks etc.  Would these be included in length overall or would the dimensions only be from the front cab to the back of the body?

Mike the unknowing

• Like 1

Now if you want to build it in 48/50th scale then you can obtain the cab. Starting place  . . .. :D

I would have thought, (?) that similar chassis had either the late wartime  AEC Matador or later cabbed vehicle also had the same chassis ??

It maybe a case of deduction  . . . . :whistle:

I have a photo of one of these vehicles re-fuelling a Spitfire at RAF Binbrook airshow

I intend to built a 1/48th AEC 6-wheel Matador wartime re-fueling vehicle from scratch :mental:

PS I tried to find the web-site for 'Kingfisher models' at Boston \Lincs but my pc cant find their DNS address ?? :fraidnot:

They supply (ied) white metal cabs chassis and wheels, hooks etc 

Edited by Mancunian airman

My scale is primarily 1:144 and I would like to scratchbuild this refueller if I can find plans.  I am also hoping to find other airfield vehicle plans for the period 1965-1975 for my airfield diorama project, also in 1:144 scale

Mike

• 5 years later...
On 10/30/2013 at 10:34 AM, bootneck said:

I'd like to build an AEC Mandator Mk.V aircraft refueller in RN service but I cannot seem to find a source of plans or dimensions

Is this the type you're referring to Mike? These saw service at RNAS Lossiemouth and Yeovilton for sure (I have photos), presumably Culdrose and possibly Brawdy (can anyone confirm the latter?).

RNAS AEC Mandator MkV - VAM116D

If so, we share a common interest! 😉

Regards

Andy

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Bootneck,

Have you looked in Terry Gander's 'Modern Royal Air Force'?

There's a 1/76 scale drawing of an AEC Mammoth Major Ergo with a dimensions table alongside. 

The drawing is of 3000 gallon version but there's a photo of the 4000 gallon version too. The difference is the size of tank. The smaller one has a pump mounted ahead of the tank.

There's a later issue of the book by Peter Guiver but this shows the later T45 cabbed version.

Companion books about the Army and Navy also feature scale drawings.

I hope this helps

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried 

Blueprints.com

Aec Registry 

There's also a Facebook Aec page.  I would probably purchase a diecast version which are readily available and copy the chassis. The cab could possibly be 3d printed downscale to 1.144..

Hope this helps.