AEC Mandator Mk.V refuellers RN - dimensions or plans?

bootneck

I'd like to build an AEC Mandator Mk.V aircraft refueller in RN service but I cannot seem to find a source of plans or dimensions.  Can anyone here help please?  I've googled and seen a few books on the AEC Mandator but there's no evidence that they contain any plans or dimensions.

Did any issues of the Tankette, AFV News, Belona or Military Modelling mags etc. have these details?

cheers

Mike

Try Googling Royal Navy refuellers, quite a few images come up showing , AEC 0856, Mamoth Major Mk6 ,Mandator and others in RN service, so I would suggest your answer is yes .

Andrew

Those god awful things were a piggin nightmare to drive and it was a Herculean task to get the PTO in...............ahh... fond memories

I'm gonna say...........no. I have vague recollections as a young erk being sent to a Navy base and seeing yellow ones (ours were green). More than likely used for land based A/C.

• 3 weeks later...

Those god awful things were a piggin nightmare to drive and it was a Herculean task to get the PTO in...............ahh... fond memories

I'm gonna say...........no. I have vague recollections as a young erk being sent to a Navy base and seeing yellow ones (ours were green). More than likely used for land based A/C.

Surely you mean yes if you saw yellow ones at a FAA base, no-one would expect to see them on carriers .

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty certain that the FAA didn't use these. However, as 849 Sqn Gannets were shore based at RAF Lossiemouth, RN Phantoms at RAF Leuchars and Buccaneers at RAF Honington during the 1970s it would have been RAF vehicles refuelling these RN types.

Edited by Evalman

Hi Graham,

yes, I regularly view this site and have posted a query. No definitive info on being used at RN airfields so will just have to go with the green and RAF aircraft.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Try this site, some of my pics are on here. It does show the refuellers that your on about, I am sure they are in Yellow, but they are RAF bowsers........various military bowsers feature throughout, there are 3 pages of them and you can view as a slide show........................just type mammoth major in the search bar if they do not come up

Good Luck

http://miliblog.co.uk/?cat=72

Thanks Rayprit, I'll check those out.

Rich, I didn't know that cab was produced by other manufacturers. So I could be looking at a Leyland, AEC or Albion and all with exactly the same facia and grill etc?

Mike

In a cost cutting scheme, a joint venture between Leyland, Albion & Dodge (L.A.D) the three companies shared the same type of Ergomatic cab, all built by Motor Panels and Park Royal.

Unfortunately at the time, the steel used must have been very low quality and as regards paint protection that was also very poor and within three to four years corrosion was rampant so it was necessary to remove the cab from the chassis and repanel them.

As an old time trucker who has driven many variants of both the LAD & Ergo cabs, it was always my understanding they were not the same. The LADs were as stated, made for Leyland Albion & Dodge as seen here whereas the Ergomatic cabs, quite nice to drive & far better for entry & exit than the LADs as seen here were only produced for Leyland parented trucks, ie Leyland, Albion & AEC. Afaik Dodge was never part of the Leyland grouping.

Steve.

I think we're drifting off the subject and losing focus on my question. The model is of an AEC Mammoth Major refueller and I am just trying to find if this actual specification was ever used by the Royal Navy and painted yellow.

Mike

After looking through many books and internet pics I think I can safely say that the RN never used this type of refueller. If you want to build this in a yellow scheme it would have to be a RAF vehicle from the late 1960s-mid 1970s.

I found this image from 1976, not a Mammoth Major in sight:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianfuller/80555834/

is it wheelbase etc you want, if its technical info I may have it, if it military info, I wont! It may be worth looking for Leyland bison as that's the 6 wheel chassis with the ergo cab.

Ive popped your request on a truck forum I go on see if they have any pics or info for you.

Hi Rich,

the question, with an image, is posted at the very beginning of this thread.

I now have two of these kits and would like to get started on them but unsure if they were used by the Royal Navy on Naval Air Stations

cheers

Mike

After looking through many books and internet pics I think I can safely say that the RN never used this type of refueller. If you want to build this in a yellow scheme it would have to be a RAF vehicle from the late 1960s-mid 1970s.

I found this image from 1976, not a Mammoth Major in sight:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianfuller/80555834/

Not necessarily true, the AEC left of centre could well be a Mammoth Major with an earlier cab, but obviously not the ergo cabbed MM that Mike is after info about.

Steve.

I would say no then, as the AECs pre date the ergo cab, and the bedfords would post date the Ergo. Looking at pictures online it looks like they used older AEC trucks, and when they needed replaseing they went for Bedfords. Looks like its RN went for Bedfords.

• Like 1

Mike, I've looked everywhere and have seen no evidence that the RN used the type of refueller depicted in the PG Kit (which looks very nice by the way).

I remember seeing them at St Mawgan in the early 1970's (painted yellow) but never saw one at Culdrose.