US Navy launch Zumwalt class Destroyer

I have just read on www.navy.mil that the US Navy has launched PCU Zumwalt, DDG-1000, the first of 3 Zumwalt class destroyers, without any fanfare (champagne over the bow etc).

They cancelled the ships christening ceremony due to the recent partial government shutdown. The christening ceremony will be rescheduled for the spring. Bath Iron Works will continue working on the ship throughout winter with sea trials due to commence next winter. A year tied up to a dock is a very long time for something worth what these ships cost.

Look at the size of this bad boy, compare it to the tugboat next to the bow in the photo below for an idea of scale.

The ship is 610 feet long and weighing in at 15,610 tons. In comparison the Royal Navy's Type 45 destroyer is 498 feet long and weights 8,000 tons. The Zumwalts are going to be 100 feet plus larger than the largest destroyer built previously.

The design of the Zumwalt reminds me of the USS Cunningham DDG-79 from the Amanda Garrett novels by James Cobb. I wonder if there is a plaque saying Designed by James Cobb.

131028-O-ZZ999-103resized_zpsdc9d7cfd.jp

God that's ugly! Love the name ( yeah I've googled it as I thought eh??? ) USS Zumwalt...has a certain ring don't you think?

The US Navy has a long and glorious tradition of crap names for ships that will never be equaled. Perhaps only also in a third world nation might someone like Carl Vinson have 90,000 tons of warship named for them.

Man that is ugly. It. Looks they took the artists impression of the Littoral Combat Ship and made it real. I guess the length is overall not between perpendiculars.

The US Navy has a long and glorious tradition of crap names for ships that will never be equaled. Perhaps only also in a third world nation might someone like Carl Vinson have 90,000 tons of warship named for them.

you ain't wrong there mate ! No disrespect to the man but what a name!

Z-Gram!

Personally, I think it looks just dandy. Reminds me of an advancing knife blade - probably has the radar cross section same as the tugboat, or much, much better!

Regards, Robert

I don't think it's ugly at all; I think it is a nod to the pre dreadnought monitors - reinvented!

Different and built for speed by the looks of that profile.

Pete

• Like 1

I am also confused about where the ships bridge is as I cannot see any evidence of windows on the superstructure.

I would imagine that the bridge will be fully inside but would have a wing on each side of the ship, but you never know.

The bridge windows are there, just under the 'eyebrow' around the front of the superstructure - they are most likely just covered for protection during build and launch - if you look at the Daring or QE build photos they are doing the same.

A