Mask/Respirator for airbrushing?

Butler991

Hi all,

I'm a complete novice just trying to get my kit together before embarking on some (hopefully) great modelling journeys. I've an airbrush which I haven't yet used, just a bargain basement thing from eBay (didn't see the point in splashing out straight away, I can always expand at a later date). The one thing I feel the need to purchase is a respirator or mask of some sort; my modelling will be taking place in the garage and there are no windows and with winter almost here, I'll be keeping the door shut!

Can anybody recommend a mask or respirator? It doesn't need to be too flashy and the cheaper the better, but it does need to be effective.

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

PS: If anybody has any tips they learned from when they started airbrushing, please feel free to share :)

I use a Scott Profile2 half mask with Pro2 A2P3 filters. The A2 part means it filters solvents for sustained exposure, and the P3 is the highest level of particulate filtering.

Scott,

I use the same mask as Ben, good price and offers excellent protection. It's also a good choice if, like me, you wear specs as you can still wear them when using it.

Mark.

I have the same 'set up' as you, as in out in the garage! It is indeed getting cold!

I spray a mix of paints, including Laquer/cellulose based stuff. I bought a cheap one from B&Q, but could never get replacement filters. I went to these guys last time, after using them for various airbrush spares

http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Respirators-Masks.html

Send them an email asking what is best for your paint choices.

If you want a cheap option to get going here's the one I got from B&Q

www.diy.com/nav/fix/protective-clothing-workwear/respiratory-protection/28-Day-Disposable-Respirator-12728618?skuId=13249324

I use a Scott Profile2 half mask with Pro2 A2P3 filters. The A2 part means it filters solvents for sustained exposure, and the P3 is the highest level of particulate filtering.

i have this one as well, very nice fit and easy to work with so far...

Scott,

I use the same mask as Ben, good price and offers excellent protection. It's also a good choice if, like me, you wear specs as you can still wear them when using it.

Mark.

Me too. I got them from Protec on line who seem to offer a good service. If you get one though, remember that the clock starts ticking on the filter life as soon as the airtight bag is opened on them and the air is allowed in. What I do is to remove the filter element packs after each session and store them in a re sealable poly bag. Just prolongs the life a little.