Two new books on Chinese Military Aircraft and the PLAAF

Deino

I would like to introduce to new books I was working one during the last years .... :rolleyes:

The first one to be published soon as a handbook of the current PLAAF:

Modern Chinese Air Power - People’s Liberation Army Air Forces - On sale 29 Oct 2012

Much of the fascination that Chinese military aviation holds for the analyst and enthusiast stems from the thick veil of secrecy that surrounds it. This uniquely compact yet comprehensive directory serves as a magnificently illustrated, in-depth analysis and directory of modern Chinese air power. It is organised in three parts: the most important military aircraft and their weapons found in Chinese service today; aircraft markings and serial number systems; and orders of battle for the People's Liberation Army Air Force and Naval Air Force. The study includes the latest developments emerging from behind the 'Bamboo Curtain', including the J-20 stealth fighter programme and other indigenous projects that are equipping a rapidly modernising air arm. The centrepiece consists of almost 100 fully illustrated pages detailing the organisational structure of the Air Force and Naval Aviation, providing an easy-to-use review of all known flying units, their equipment and their markings. No other book has ever attempted to present this level of accuracy in this way: 'Modern Chinese Air Power' portrays the PLAAF and the PLANAF in a degree of detail that was previously unavailable.

http://www.harpia-publishing.com/node/117

And the second one a bit later, which just came out last month year more related to the aircraft types and esp. the failed projects:

As China continues its rise as a world power, there is growing interest in its military aviation. Very little has been published in the past on the subject because of the difficulty of obtaining information, but aviation authors Tony Buttler and Andreas Rupprecht have been researching this subject together for a number of years, both from the perspective of their interest in the Chinese aircraft and also through an interest in Chinese secret aviation projects. They have now amassed enough material to put together a book on Chinese fighter and bomber aircraft development since Mao's Communist Party took control of the country in 1949. The book examines the design and development of the country's major military combat aircraft (fighters, bombers, attack aircraft, antisubmarine) since the industry became established after the Second World War, plus a good number of design proposals which, for whatever reason, were rejected or abandoned. The text is supplemented with photographs, line drawings, and color artwork of the aircraft.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragons-Wings-Andreas-Rupprecht/dp/1906537364/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346936658&sr=8-1

Anyway It's finally done .... and I hope You like it,

Deino :drink:

• 3 weeks later...

Just found :wink: :wink: ... by David L. Veres !

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ref/cp/book_cp_dragon.shtml

In introducing his book, Andreas Rupprecht candidly identifies rapidly changing events as the chief obstacle to accurately chronicling Chinese aviation history.

"New developments are happening in China all of the time," he writes, "and one can be certain that new information will appear immediately afterwards. That is the risk one has to take."

I, for one, am glad he took that chance: Rupprecht penned Dragon's Wings, his thoroughly informative, highly entertaining chronicle from Classic – an imprint of Ian Allan Publishing.

Subtitled "Chinese Fighter and Bomber Aircraft Development", the lavishly illustrated, 224-page account details development of frontline combat types. Most intriguingly, it also reveals numerous secret Chinese projects. And along the way, it corrects many myths, mistakes and misimpressions.

Coverage begins with the earliest Soviet jets in PLAAF/PLNAF service, segues to licensed production of MiG-17 and MiG-19 variants, recaps the native JJ-1 trainer, and continues with the first largely indigenous fighter designs and MiG-21 developments.

That's where Rupprecht unearths nuggets like the Dong Feng (DF) 107 and DF-113 – advanced concepts that confirmed maturing Chinese design talents. But when they failed to achieve production, China successfully developed domestic derivatives of the MiG-21F – the Chengdu-built J-7, the vastly enlarged J-8 and, eventually, the almost unrecognizably related FC-1/JF-17 "Thunder".

Next comes a fascinating chapter on further "In-House" projects. Coverage thereafter hits crescendo with sections on today's modern Chinese designs – the stillborn J-9, world-class J-10 and stealth J-20. Some of these allegedly equal the best world's best warplanes. Did Israel materially aid J-10 development? The author's research offers no definitive answer.

I especially enjoyed Rupprecht's segue into strike, attack and bomber types – notably Q-5 and H-6 variants, my personal favorites. How about that turboprop Il-10? And that torpedo-carrying Q-5B? Or that Xi'an H-7 study? The last resembled a hybrid Tu-16 and B-52!

Dozens of rare photos, color profiles and helpful sidebars augment text. Charts conveniently distill variant details. And Bai Wei's digital illustrations of Chinese projects provide intriguing peeks at what might have been.

Our Chinese cups truly runneth over. And this volume perfectly complements other recent references – including Chinese Air Power (Midland), Chinese Air Power (Harpia) and Chinese Aircraft (Hikoki).

But with extensive coverage of key designs – almost a medley of monographs – Classic's Dragon's Wings stands apart. Author Rupprecht offers plenty of previously unseen information for a truly compelling chronicle. I really enjoyed this enormously informative effort.

Roundly recommended!

CHeers, Deino

• 2 weeks later...

I would be very interested, but at close on £60 for the pair they'll have to wait until after Christmas. Probably a while after. Got them both bookmarked though.

Andy

Same here. I enjoyed looking that the PLA aircraft in close up at the Beijing Military Museum and that generated quite an interest, however the books are a little too expensive for my budget.

cheers

Mike