My new baby - Unimat 4

CarLos

New to me, as he served the previous owner for years.

Unimat4_1.jpg

Unimat4_2.jpg

I am absolutely virgin in this new world of precision machining. I'm yet to try it for lack of materials (going out in a few moments to get some aluminium and nylon) so only in a few days I can tell you more.

Meanwhile, I would like to hear from others who use this kid of tools - lathes and milling machines. How often do you use them for modelling, and exactly for which purposes? Which materials do you use? Do you think that a milling machine is more useful?

My Unimat has an attachment for a milling column accessory at the back - this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vertical-Milling-and-Drilling-Attachment-for-Unimat-4-/280791469201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item416079cc91. So I can turn my lathe in a milling machine easily. Do you think that it would be wiser to have a dedicated milling machine?

I get this one not only because it was cheaper than the Proxxon I also considered but also because I have a friend with great expertise with this particular model, so can use his knowledge. Are there any other Unimat users out there?

Thanks in advance for sharing your advices and tips!

Carlos

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Have the modular version, rubbish, you have a proper bed on yours which makes all the difference.

I now have a proper lathe and love it. My unimat has been relegated to the role of disc sander!

The trouble with the modular unimat is getting the modules square and parallel and keeping them that way. I haven't even tried using it a anything else due to the disappointment!