Knackered old workhorse.. Tamiya 1:12 CB750F

Thanks guys!

The only piece of advice I can give to get results like this is: Don't be afraid to stuff up.. For all the good finishes I get, there are many, many more completely ruined kits.

Michael, that's so good to know :yahoo:

Bah.. First attempt at a print was a dismal failure.. I need to print using gloss paper settings and the office printer thing is buggered to let me know how. The first print therefore resulted in an almost ruination of the decal paper.. Thankfully I could wipe the rubbish print off as if it were a whiteboard..

Back to the drawing board..

How'd I forget replying?

Anyway.. The office copier/printer has been most uncooperative since we upgraded to the latest version of OSX, and Sharp seems to be dragging their feet, so I effectively have no control over the printer whatsoever. I'm going to go to a copyshop over the weekend to see what they can do for me. I got the laser version, so, theoretically, sealing shouldn't be necessary.. But I'll test it first.

That must be the best I've ever seen, and I've been model-making for 50 years! The whole effect is superb - well done sir! Are you going to put it on some sort of a base?

Brilliant work!

Steve

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Has it got an MOT?

That is indistinguishable from a real bike!

It'll have a tax disc. I'm currently scratching my head as what to do with the custom decals, because I am now printer-less.. I have to find a photocopy place willing to do it for me somehow.

That must be the best I've ever seen, and I've been model-making for 50 years! The whole effect is superb - well done sir! Are you going to put it on some sort of a base?

Brilliant work!

Steve

That's the idea. Tied up to a road sign. I thought lamp post at first, but the whole lamp post would be 500mm at the least. I've got the materials, so now it's a question of getting it done.

• 2 weeks later...

This is ab-so-loot-ly stunning. I've got a CB250RS parked out next to the shed in a similar condition to this.... but doesn't look half as real !

I've still got a soft spot for the old CBs but gotta say that the CB750F2 was probably the worst bike I ever owned.

Awesome skills !

Gaz

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just came across this build article, absolutely amazing! Brings back so many memories. Wish somebody had done a kit so I could replicate my 1979 Suzuki GS1000E (I was living in Toronto, Canada at the time).

4 into 1 Bassani black headers, at least black every month or so when I took them off and re-sprayed them. Modified chin spoiler under the engine, lookalike GS1000S quarter fairing made to fit, and best of all, charcoal grey and red paint job, done by myself using Canadian Tire aerosol in the bedroom of my 12th floor apartment over the winter, had awful headaches for a month afterwards! Reminising over...

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/11/2013 at 12:30 AM, Doug Rogers said:

Yes, been there too. Changing up's not too bad if you get the revs right, changing down's a bit more tricky.

I know I am a bit (way) late to the party, but I had the clutch cable snap on my Honda clone once a few years back, and ended up riding the bike for some time without the cable, could not find stocks. Learned pretty fast to shift up and down using revs only, got so good at it, when I finally got the cable, I only used it from a dead stop.  Now that was a chinese workhorse clone of 150cc's, a junker bike, but good in the Philippines. I would not try that on a big hike, or sports bike, unless absolutely had no choice again. Once the bike is moving, it's not hard, it's getting going that is the sketchy part.  By the way, what an amazing build so far, I love this look, perfectly life-like. 

On 11/13/2013 at 7:16 AM, Michaelvk said:

Added some mig pigment in acrylic resin to simulate that lovely layer of crud that builds up on mudguards..

Now I have to shake my head at this. I spend 3 hours trying to figure out how to remove this crud from rear wheel/tidy tail area, you spend 3 hours trying to put the crud on! This must be a backwards universe I have found myself in, linked from another website no less, I should have known that only trouble would face me when taking the click bait!

Awesome build, I hope you are still here to enjoy the accolades, you earned them!

Cheers,

Anthony

4 hours ago, Michaelvk said:

Thanks man! 

No, thank you for sharing, it's such a cool build and the skills, off the charts!

Quick question if I may. I am going to be building a couple bikes myself, well one bike for me, the other for my wife, she is going to try her hand at modeling (which is really cool). Anyway, one of the things that has me curious, creating the blue colors on the pipes. It's never just the whole pipe, but seems to happen on the curves only, how did you create the color, which blue did you use and how diluted does it need to be to show the chrome thru the paint?

Thanks, and if you have more builds, link them, I would love to see your other work!

Cheers,

Anthony

Well, I used Alclad hot metal colours for the heat staining, but you could just as well use Tamiya clear colours too. The Alclads are specifically made for this purpose and are ready to spray right out of the bottle. The Tamiya acrylics (or Mr Hobby, whichever your poison) would need a fair bit of diluting with X20a, IPA or even lacquer thinners. Mr Color thinners work beautifully, but are a bit stinky.

I’ve kind of drifted away from forums, mostly because I put all my photos on Photobucket which then ruined itself by charging for hotlinking (like a sucker I’ve since ponies up, but the damage has been done) I’ve consolidated everything onto a Facebook page (linky: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1951277155155314&ref=content_filter) , but am now also doing some YouTube videos, explaining my how and why when it comes to building my models.. Linky to the channel if you’re interested: https://www.youtube.com/user/insomniavfx 

What also has slowed things down a little is my 17 month old lad, who gets a lot of my attention.. But things do still get build. Just a little slower than before..

10 hours ago, Michaelvk said:

Photobucket

I can tell you without question, nothing is more annoying that the square with photopuke'it in the image, in place of the picture that should have been there. Such a shame, you would think that they would have grandfathered in pictures taken pre-hostage taking, but when you are a hostage taker, there is no mercy.

I am sort of surprised that they are still around. Even if you don't agree with their position on charging for membership, I don't understand why that hides pictures already on their servers. To play devils advocate, maybe they are the best photo sharing company, if they are charging users, you would hope that they aren't selling off your personal data, like all the other services out there. Nothing is free, and just because you are not paying overtly, doesn't mean you aren't losing out. I would estimate that they are getting ten times the value from you, when you unwittingly give them carte blanche to your personal information.

At least with a paid service, you know what you are paying out upfront. But the model doesn't work because people see something free as always the better choice, when it turns out, it's not even close to free, and likely more costly than we want to admit.

Here is a question. Can you link photos from Facebook into the forums? I understand why the forums don't allow direct uploads based on minimizing server footprints, the bigger they get, they exponentially more expensive the service becomes. Can't offer that and remain free at the same time. Just sucks that we are at the mercy of every other server. Pictures can vanish without warning.

Thanks for the painting tips, not sure how I will tackle it. The Alclad paints are not available widely here in the Philippines, and when you can find them, they are super expensive. I make no bones about the fact that I am broke, so the choice to buy one paint, or buy several other paints of a different brand, is obvious to me. Need to get the most of my limited resources, the Alclad has to wait. Maybe I can find it before I start the build, even save up for it, sadly.

Hoping to see you back in the forums, it's nice to have a running dialog with those building in near real time.

Cheers,

Anthony