Airbrush and Compressor on Ebay - is it any good ?

Rickpadwick1801

Hi everyone,

I have some money left over this month from my wages and rather than spend the money on a revell compressor or the lidl set(if it is still available), I am thinking about buying the compressor and airbrush set from the link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Gravity-Feed-Airbrush-Dual-Action-Compressor-Kit-Nail-Body-Art-Spray-Tattoo-/400356877974?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item5d37212696

Could you let me know if it will suitable for use in painting large and small scale models and also if anything else will be needed to go with it ?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

The brush looks the same as my last brush, which was OK, if a bit of a git to clean! Can't say anything about the compressor, but would imagine that you'll suffer from 'pulsing' of the air and water in it if you're using it for a while.

Hi Rick

That combination would cause you more problems than it's worth. so a better option (for little more money) would be this option ...it gives you a compressor with a tank (so no pulsing) pretty much the same compressor I have except mine has the boxed cover over it, works very well too and you get yourself two airbrushes to learn with. I've heard some good and bad things about the cheap knock off airbrushes, but you could always upgrade your airbrush at a later date and still use the compressor.

Hope it helps

Norm

I agree with Norm, if you can afford the extra go with that comp and tank, I've had that compressor, minus the tank (which I still regret) for 3+ years and it works a dream. The Airbrushes can be hit and miss. Mine didn't last very long, but that was partly operator error, still better to wreck a free one than an expensive one!

Compressor looks a bit under spec but the brush maybe ok. I had one similar and it got me into airbrushing, until I killed it.

As others have said, go for the other suggested kit. I have a similar compressor and it's really good and was bargain at £50.

Rick.

Hi Rick

That combination would cause you more problems than it's worth. so a better option (for little more money) would be this option ...it gives you a compressor with a tank (so no pulsing) pretty much the same compressor I have except mine has the boxed cover over it, works very well too and you get yourself two airbrushes to learn with. I've heard some good and bad things about the cheap knock off airbrushes, but you could always upgrade your airbrush at a later date and still use the compressor.

Hope it helps

Norm

Cheers Norm,

That helps a lot. Can I ask is the compressor is very noisy as you said you have a similar one?

The reason i ask is that my workshop is in the house.

Rick

Cheers Norm,

That helps a lot. Can I ask is the compressor is very noisy as you said you have a similar one?

The reason i ask is that my workshop is in the house.

Rick

I have the same compressor/tank combo that norm's link goes too and mine is very very quiet.

It should not disturb the other half watching telly if you are at the other end of the room.

It's pretty quiet and shouldn't disturb anyone in the house, add to that the compressor has an auto cut off once the tank reaches pressure and restarts once the pressure drops below a certain limit ... my model room is below our main bedroom and the wife said she can't even hear any noise when I've been doing airbrush work at 3 in the morning.

I went for the kit Norm has linked to and the compressor is great. My modelling area is in the dining room and whrn it kicks in its barely noticeable. Plus with having the tank fitted the run time is less so its quieter anyway.

I went for the kit Norm has linked to and the compressor is great. My modelling area is in the dining room and whrn it kicks in its barely noticeable. Plus with having the tank fitted the run time is less so its quieter anyway.

Thanks very much. My workshop is in the office/meant to be 2nd bedroom so directly above the 2nd bedroom.

iwata compressor on ebay . if you want mate i have a spare iwata airbrush .. since i have 3 and H&S infinity ..

thomas

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iwata-studio-series-air-compressor-sprint-jet-art-modelling-cake-decor-tan-nail-/271304705042?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item3f2b054412

I have been toying on buying an Iwata brush as an upgrade, are they any good or are the H&S better?

I love my Iwata CR with 0.3mm conversion.

But why stop there?!

I'm starting to save for a H&S as well!

I must admit, if my numbers come up I'd spend a fortune on airbrushes!

You can never have enough airbrushes.

Mmmmm, airbrushes...........

Rick.

I'd also say both the Japanese made Iwata and the German made H&S are good quality and fully supported kit.

H&S are more future proof (range of needles/nozzles and paint cups, etc), easier to clean and generally better value for money.

These days I sell a lot more H&S than Iwata.

Paul.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I won't be able to give feedback for at least 3 months as my wife doesn't want me buying the compressor/airbrush set from eBay until I have my Christmas money. Apparently its to much money to come out of my wages even though we have the money spare and she feels that me buying model kits with my Christmas money isn't a productive use of any money i get.

So until further notice I am out of the model making business as I want to paint my models with an airbrush not by brush painting as I have seen the much better quality of the finish.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I won't be able to give feedback for at least 3 months as my wife doesn't want me buying the compressor/airbrush set from eBay until I have my Christmas money. Apparently its to much money to come out of my wages even though we have the money spare and she feels that me buying model kits with my Christmas money isn't a productive use of any money i get.

So until further notice I am out of the model making business as I want to paint my models with an airbrush not by brush painting as I have seen the much better quality of the finish.

hi mate most of us are the same need to keep spare cash to buy presents for the little ones etc..

thomas

• Like 1