1/32 Hawk T.1, 208(R) Sqn RAF Valley *new pics!*

Hi everyone,

After the last Revell Hawk I made, I swore I would never build another one. This is it.*

Built using Eduard cockpit set with Flightpath access ladder and FOD covers. Painted in quite thick coats of enamel black and Zero Clear Coat varnish. Scratchbuilt RBF tags and vortex generators from litho plate and plastic card. Had a couple of near-disasters with the gloss coat, but it turned out alright, smooth and shiny! Decals and stencils were from Alley Cat and are excellent quality.

*EDIT* forgot to mention CMK MB10 seats, great product! Oh yeah, and it was built from the horrible red plastic kit rather than the much nicer grey one recently released. Still, for £9.99, who's complaining?

All the following pics are courtesy of the IPMS Farnborough website, taken by the photo genius that is Dr Flangemeister!

DSCF1924.JPG

DSCF1925.JPG

DSCF1926.JPG

DSCF1927.JPG

DSCF1928.JPG

DSCF1929.JPG

The Flightpath access ladder was a work of art like all their stuff. Didn't quite measure the step intervals properly. Ah well.

This was a commission build for my good mate Canberra Fan, well actually for his daughter , who usually works at Valley. It's gonna live in a box till delivery, the darn thing attracts dust like nothing I've ever seen! The price of a shiny finish I spose.

Hope you like!

Alan
*with thanks to Spike Milligan!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 17

OOOOO nice and glossy PHaTNesS, and a Great build well done mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Looks great, the the steps and RBF tags really set the scene. Have this kit to do and can't wait to start it, the gloss black scheme will be a worry though!

That is gorgeous and wearing my favourite RAF Hawk scheme,....go Naval Eight!!! What did you use to get such a perfect looking gloss black finish?

Cheers

Tony O

Thanks very much you guys, glad you like it too.

What did you use to get such a perfect looking gloss black finish?

Cheers

Tony O

Which Zero clear did you use? I also build cars and was planning on using the same 2K clear that I use over auto models.

Steve.

Hi Tony & Steve,

When it was ready for paint I used Vallejo Primer from a can, then sanded and micromeshed it down, washed the whole surface then applied Testors Model Master Gloss Black. Micromeshed down to 12000 grit, then polished with 3 types of Tamiya polishing compound down to the silver Finish tube. Washed it all again, air dry, then Zero 2K clear coat (the same as for cars Steve!) sprayed on thick with a 0.5mm HVLP spray gun. Let dry for about 24 hours.

Applied decals, then two days later brush painted Johnsons Klear all over.

I should note that to do that I had to scrape off all the vortex generators from the wings as they just got in the way of the sanding and caused the paint to pool round them. I also had to rescribe a lot of the panels after the clear coat as the thickness of the paint filled them in. I later went over the exposed red plastic with a 0.35mm fine line pen and finished off all the other touch ups with Revell Aqua gloss black.

That sounds like a lot of work, but it's the only way to get a smooth gloss black finish without evidence of the slightly pebbly finish you get just by airbrushing gloss black.

Thanks for looking, and I've just noticed I haven't put the eject handles on the seats, and I missed the white stall strips on the leading edges!

Al

The photos are great but Having seen it first hand I can say the model is even better, Al's done a superb job. My daughter was the Adjt at Valley and managed a back seat through the Welsh mountains on one of 208s aircraft. She has seen it and is over the moon. Cheers Al.

• Like 1

The photos are great but Having seen it first hand I can say the model is even better, Al's done a superb job. My daughter was the Adjt at Valley and managed a back seat through the Welsh mountains on one of 208s aircraft. She has seen it and is over the moon. Cheers Al.

Thanks mate.

You've inspired me to start mine so I dug it out last night along with the Big Ed set I bought, have made a start on the cockpit. Anything in the build I should watch out for?

Al, thanks for confirming the clear used. I am going with Xtracolour Red Arrows Red with doubled up decals and a coat of 2K to finish. I'm going to add extra thinner to the 2K to try and preserve some panel lines.

Hoping to get a top finish like yours.

Later on I am hoping to do a Black Hawk and have been squirreling away some AM goodies for this, dropped flaps, seats and etch sets. Really must buy the kit sometime, hoping to get the latest Revell release in grey styrene at the Nat's (for a decent price)

Steve.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks fellas. Much appreciated comments.

Muzz, glad to hear you're giving it a go, there's not much wrong with the kit apart from the yucky red plastic and the soft detail on the upper fuselage.

The intakes should be installed in each fuselage half and not joined together first. I had so much trouble with it, I opted for FOD covers in the end.

The intakes themselves don't fit brilliantly, and you might need to putty and sand them in by sections.

Other than that - enjoy!

Cheers, Al