1/72 Hasegawa P-40N / Kittyhawk IV

There seems to be a run on P-40s here at the moment!

This is Hasegawa's P-40N, which is a nice little kit but not without the need for a bit of filler here and there, completed straight from the box. It was airbrushed using Xtracolour enamels and rolled Blu-Tack to mask the camouflage. National marking decals came from a generic sheet (sorry, can't remember which manufacturer), yellow stripes likewise and the white 'R' from spares suitably spliced to get the right shape. Unfortunately I haven't got round to finding or adding a serial, but I will do. Eventually.

The subject is a South African Air Force machine as illustrated in the late, great Ron Belling's book 'A Portrait of Military Aviation in South Africa'.

1-72HasegawaP-40N_zps5103cfe7.jpg

1-72HasegawaP-40N2_zps0ccb1c98.jpg

My personal opinion is that it looks too clean and should have been weathered a bit more, especially in terms of fading the paintwork and making it seem more 'patchy'.

Jon

• Like 4

Nice work Jonners. Well, you cant have too many P-40's. I love the finish, you've done a cracking job with the airbrush, makes all the difference, sometimes less is more.

My Kittyhawk III on the other hand, has led a very hard life!

By the way, I like your interior green, mine is a little darker, which paint/colour did you use?

Hiya Jon,

I`ve always liked this scheme from the superb Ron Belling book and you`ve got it off to a tee,..it looks wonderful,.....nice one. Personally I`d weather it a little,..but not too much,

Cheers

Tony O

you've done a cracking job with the airbrush

Thanks very much - I don't use it very often and, when I do, it doesn't always work out right! I'm sure there's a connection between those two facts...

which paint/colour did you use?

Humbrol 78. Late edit - Humbrol 120!! (Sorry for the duff gen - been away from my workbench & memory like a seive...)I use it for almost all Interior Green cockpits; it might not be 100% perfect every time, but then neither am I!

IIRC there are three other SAAF P-40N schemes illustrated in Belling's book; it took a while to decide which one to do first, as I'm sure I'll get round to the others at some point. If you haven't seen Belling's work then I recommend you do so - it's superb, and his book has extensive and detailed colour-and-marking notes. It's a must for anyone with an interest in SAAF subjects.

Jon

Edited by Jonners

• 2 weeks later...