1/72 Testors SNJ Texan - Finished

This thread will be about the Testors classic SNJ Texan, originally a kit from Hawk. The main reason I went for this kit is that it reminds me of my Top-Flite AT-6 Texan. My main hobby is R/C flying and so the plastic kit building is secondary and mostly a winter activity (not very often good flying conditions in Norway in the wintertime. Dark, cold, wet, windy. Sounds nice, hmm?)

Pics of the inspiration:

IMG961_zps1a333211.jpg

IMG441_zpsc12417f3.jpg

Here is the Testor kit:

DSC_0071_zpse13a86b2.jpg

Onepiece wing, benches instead of seats, quite charming actually.The fit is not bad but i used some filler on the wing and tail + the holes for the landing gear. I will do it gear up.

Progress so far:

DSC_0099_zpsc89ab79b.jpg

DSC_0108_zps42c30a21.jpg

DSC_0116_zps25434c9e.jpg

Edited by NorwegianWood

Tonights update. I'm using Revell acrylics, 24 Lufthansa yellow, 91 Steel and 34 Purple red. They dries fast and makes it possible to keep the progress. Decals are supplied for the red stripes on the wings and fuselage, but I'm painting the wings. The fuselage I'm not quite sure about since the decal is supposed to be applied from the top. And there we have two antennaes poking into the air. One option is to cut off the antennaes since my R/C model does not have them. Another option is to paint the stripe and cut the decal so the number only needs to be applied. But then I might get a slight mismatch with the red colours.

Anyway, here's the picture:

DSC_0130_zps2170f062.jpg

Then I have decided on what to do regarding the red stripe on the fuselage. I painted it and hope the decals will blend in. Also the crew is in place on their benches (No seats), and the anti-glare in front of the cockpit is done. Canopy and some small touch-up next, and a layer of Clear tonight, then the decals tomorrow.

DSC_0133_zps40243986.jpg

• Like 1

Glueing and painting done! Clear next, then decals. The canopy required very little sanding to get the correct fit. Once happy I dipped the canopy in Clear and glued it in place when it had dried. I painted after I read a post in here which described a good way of painting without masking. Sorry but I can't find the post and therefore no link. In short the trick was to paint as steady as possible and then removing the excess with a toothpick. I found it to work very well, with a good result after minimal effort.

And here's the picture:

DSC_0137_zps9c023d19.jpg

Ok, here's the result of this build. Quick and easy and a lot of fun. The red decals with the "75" turned to be a little more red than Revells Purple Red. I just have to live with that. The decals were easy to apply and by using Microset / -sol I could easily move them to the correct position and they shrunk nicely onto the plastic. All photos of my two builds in this GB were taken with my phone, an Experia Z1.

A couple of photos here the rest in the gallery.

DSC_0141_zps2eadf20f.jpg

DSC_0138_zps3876720b.jpg

Once again thanks to Col. and Enzo Matrix for hosting this group build, it's been a good experience.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words. Surely a quick build but I was able to put in a little effort every evening from the start. A pro would probably put some more into it but I'm pleased with it as it has turned out. If I stumble upon more of these Testors Classics I will grab them up because it was such a fun and easy build. Absolutely something for my two sons!

Nice quick build there NW!

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 month later...