HK Models 1/32 DH Mosquito

Stephen

The fundamental point is that highly detailed, large kits are naturally expensive, mainly due to the size of the moulds required, especially after all the homegrown taxes and charges are added. If you really want one if these, then save up for it. It seems aircraft modellers are frequently complaining about the cost of large kits. Just be thankful you're not maritime modellers, as the latest state of the art or large kits are becoming eyewateringly expensive, yet it doesn't stop them selling. I'm sure, as with earlier kits, whatever the initial price, there will plenty discounted to a more manageable level.

Personally, I have no issue with high prices for such complex subjects, good stuff seldom come cheap, but I have to admit being in a fortunate position (living alone, no smoker, no drinker, no fiesta, no family to look after).

After all, these subjects are big, detailed, made up of materials costing more & more, designed/tooled by Chinese teams who years after years gain expertise in the model kit designing/tooling business which probably explains the price they charge for complex projects going up. Then u add all the people involved in the project (from the tool designer to the guy selling it) wanting their share (justified or not) of the success.

Gone are the early days you could purchase badly designed/tooled Chinese kits for dirt prices, they upped the game significantly so I guess it's normal they charge near Tamiya prices if they sell near Tamiya quality... who would accept to up its game while not trying to recover something for the hard work?

One thing I was wondering, is this impressive technology of 1 part fuselage/wing/nose something modellers asked for? Is there a decisive benefit with it, apart from the obvious lack of seam puttying job? The last & most brillant kit I purchased in 1/32 was Tamiya's Mustang & I don't feel a 1 part fuselage/wing would have dramatically improved the building experience, but that's just me.

I dont usually get involved in prices of things , but one question i have. Why do some models like this one cost so much , when Revell are putting out large 1/32 bombers for about a third of the price? Its a genuine question. The cockpit detail on the HK mosquito , to me , from the photos doent look that good. I havent seen one in front of me , but it doesnt look as good as something like the Revell JU-88 I am building. If i had the cash i would buy the HK kit , i just dont understand pricing. Their Meteor was only about £85.

Just curious.

Edited by gunpowder17

I dont usually get involved in prices of things , but one question i have. Why do some models like this one cost so much , when Revell are putting out large 1/32 bombers for about a third of the price? Its a genuine question. The cockpit detail on the HK mosquito , to me , from the photos doent look that good. I havent seen one in front of me , but it doesnt look as good as something like the Revell JU-88 I am building. If i had the cash i would buy the HK kit , i just dont understand pricing. Their Meteor was only about £85.

Just curious.

I once read that Revell aimed its kits more at kids or "usual" modellers (don't shoot me, I'm only stating what I once read) that were concerned about the price tag, plus that they sold more in supermarkets or places like this. Perhaps it's one of the reasons why Revell price their kits lower but in my very humble opinion, their 1/32 bombers are nowhere near HK's level in terms of moulding quality and detailing quality. I'm not sure I would pay $170 for HK's Mosquito but I'm dead sure I'd never pay $170 for Revell's He-111 or Ju-88. I have their Ju-88 and the cockpit detailing is indeed much better but boy the molding is, again IMHO, average.

Regarding the Meteor, some think it's a little on the expensive side given its detailing level while other think it's a good deal, it's pretty much personal.

Regarding the 1 part fuselage/wing/nose, perhaps it's not something modellers asked for or HK thinking modellers were expecting but maybe a marketing shift, hoping they would create a demand for such modeller-friendly assemblies?

Sorry about the off-topic nature of the following words but... Is there an update about Tamiya possibly tooling a 1/32 Mosquito?

BTW i dont get the 1 piece wing or 2 piece fuselage either! I know its like the real thing but i cant help think its a bit gimmiky

The one piece wing does help to assemble the model when you have a 4 piece fuselage, not a gimmick, due to the 2 variants having quite alot of internal and external differences it is the best way to break down the model to do both types.

M&G

The one piece wing does help to assemble the model when you have a 4 piece fuselage, not a gimmick, due to the 2 variants having quite alot of internal and external differences it is the best way to break down the model to do both types.

M&G

I don't understand your message, if HK did the wings like AF on their 1/24 kit (1 top half, 1 bttm half), how would it affect the build? Not trying to nitpick but just a honest question.

Rvell and HK cannot be compared - I know the later Revell items are decent but to be honest is the new Spitfire anywhere close to the Tamiya Spits? Probably not.

Ultimately it is a matter of you pays your money you takes your choice...I am awaiting the release of the HK before I finally make my decision - I have to say if the office isn't worthy of the price tag I will be disappointed - the cockpit is always my favorite part of the model if this is lacking and requiring after market good then HK should address that - but I am speculating.

I do have the HK Lanc on order - couldn't not get that and I can't see anyone else doing such a scale Lanc.

As for the one piece wings and slide mould fuselage - I think it is a matter of engineering - slide mould tank barrels are wonderful compared to conventional two part barrels.

The comment someone made about the price of large maritme models is spot on - and I had this discussion previously on a thread here and was shot down - At Telford two shows ago a new big Japanese ship was on sale - I saw people walking out with these huge boxes all day...I draw the line - I don't do ships but it doesn't stop me from admiring the work involved - but I was aghast at the price tag - but if that floats your boat (sorry couldn't resist) then I will not disrespect your choice.

The 1/24 Typhoon is for Airfix a sublime kit - the 1/24 Mossie was great (it has been surpassed by the Tiffie) - I can remember when all the hype was going on and then people were complaining about the price of each - if the new 1/24 Mossie comes up and is more than £120 will it sell?

Of course it will - the first one was so popular they couldn't get enough into the country. Same for the Typhoon. OK so you might not get as much plastic in the HK Mossie but you do get a very well engineered kit - that was obvious at Telford and from my point of view the HK Mossie was/is a much better subject than a 1/72 BP Defiant that Airfix released that is hardly selling - I went to my local Hobbycraft today and there were tons of this kit on the shelf and the same story in my local Smiths/Modelzone...HK have delivered the goods - a kit that is meant for a different type of modeller - it's up to you the modeller to buy or not to buy...certainly these kits will sell as did the B17's.

Hannants have the similarly priced Do 335 for £163, Lucky Model for £106, if you wait patiently until Lucky Model have their $2 surface shipping offer you should be able to get the Mosquito for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

I'm not knocking the kit, it is a superb piece of engineering. For me the problems are it is so complex, I would open the box, look at it and put it away. Then go and build 4 models which would get finished and take me less time. Time is the luxury here. When the kit is closed up and painted, externally it looks like a 1/32 Mosquito. At the risk of howls of anguish, so does the Revell offering. I have built one, and have a second in store. I don't really need two, and I don't have the spare space to display two. I could pick up 2 1/32 Tamiya F-4s or F-14s for the cost of the HK Mossie, and have more modelling pleasure for my buck. Horses for courses. If you want one, then buy one, it's just not for me.

I'm not knocking the kit, it is a superb piece of engineering. For me the problems are it is so complex, I would open the box, look at it and put it away. Then go and build 4 models which would get finished and take me less time. Time is the luxury here. When the kit is closed up and painted, externally it looks like a 1/32 Mosquito. At the risk of howls of anguish, so does the Revell offering. I have built one, and have a second in store. I don't really need two, and I don't have the spare space to display two. I could pick up 2 1/32 Tamiya F-4s or F-14s for the cost of the HK Mossie, and have more modelling pleasure for my buck. Horses for courses. If you want one, then buy one, it's just not for me.

Horses for courses - exactly...if you wanna dance you have to pay the band - it's up to you how much you pay!

Sorry but the cost can not be compared to the Airfix kit, that kit was not as detailed as this kit and it was some time ago that it was made, IMHO wait until it is released and reviewed by a competant modeller who checks for accuracy, if it is correct you will then know why it cost the quoted amount. From the later postings so far it appears there are some gross error's and that HK have not kept the puplic upto date with progress

If it is incorrrect you vote with your wallets plain and simple.

M&G

Interesting comment, having looked at the hk Mossie, i would say thevdetail on the airfix kit, of which ive built 3 is far superior,

I am selling current Ju 88A-4 for 47 Euros and Do 335B-2 for 197 Euros, even taking kit origin, difference in detail and different distribution this example clearly illustrates that HKM is pushing it too far. They did not learn with Meteor and continued with overpricing.

Think they can sell boatloads of their kits but need to slash their prices by at least 20 percent-my view!

Interesting comment, having looked at the hk Mossie, i would say thevdetail on the airfix kit, of which ive built 3 is far superior,

That's my take on it as well. OK, I have the Airfix kit to hand while I only have internet photographs of HK's kit, but the cockpit detail looks quite unimpressive from images that have been circulated.

Perhaps those who've handled the final moulds can say otherwise, but unless it delivers Tamiya levels of detail, I can't justify paying Tamiya prices,

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe

Of course it will - the first one was so popular they couldn't get enough into the country. Same for the Typhoon. OK so you might not get as much plastic in the HK Mossie but you do get a very well engineered kit - that was obvious at Telford and from my point of view the HK Mossie was/is a much better subject than a 1/72 BP Defiant that Airfix released that is hardly selling - I went to my local Hobbycraft today and there were tons of this kit on the shelf and the same story in my local Smiths/Modelzone...HK have delivered the goods - a kit that is meant for a different type of modeller - it's up to you the modeller to buy or not to buy...certainly these kits will sell as did the B17's.

You realize, of course that 4 of the top selling items on Hannants' website are Eduard etch and mask sets for the Airfix Defiant, so somebody is buying them. I would be surprised if Airfix didn't sell at least one, and probably closer to two, orders of magnitude more Defiant kits than HK sells of Mosquito's.

There is nothing wrong with the HK kit, looks excelent. However more than I would want to pay for the kit.

As for the info on the Airfix Defiant, I think you will find airfix are very happy. They have moved massive amounts of the kit, more than any other new release to date. Looks like this is true if like has been pointed out the aftermarket for the kit is moving fast. Also just checked Hannants and the defiant is out of stock so I think that speaks volumes.

Though not exaclty sure how comparing the airfix £7.99 kit to a £150(ish) kit is relevant.

Julien

The Meteor has put me off any further purchases of HK kits.

That kit has an air of being rushed out because they couldn't be bothered to finish it but still had

the cheek to ask for a sizeable stack of coin for it. I only bought a second one because Paul Fisher gave

me a F8 conversion (and mentioned me on the instruction sheet, what a nice chap!)

Any large scale Mossie in my future will have Airfix on the box

• Like 1

As for the BP Defiant by Airfix - I go by what I see on the shelves of my local stockists - Airfix may sell them but are they sold out of the stockists branches...and believe me I do talk to major model sellers and most were disappointed the Defiant was released...if Hannantas are selling the add ons then well done them...they also sold 170 HK B17's before it was released. Everything is relative.

I missed the first batch of Defiants as I just didn't get into any major towns around the time. When eventually I got to the shops a couple of weeks after it's release, there wasn't a Defiant to be found anywhere.

I eventually picked up the last one on the shelf in a toyshop in Devizes. They're back in stock most places now, they seem to have followed the same pattern as other Airfix releases over the past couple of years - quick sell-out of the initial batch, then more stock arrives a few weeks later.

Cheers,

Bill.

Not sure how many to get in the top 10, but number 1 at the moment is the new Airfix Hurricane (1.48)

2. Is the Airfix Spitfire Mk1 (1.48)

3. Is the eduard mask for the Airfix Dornier

4. Is the Eduard Mask for the Airfix Defiant

6. Is the Airfix AV-8A

7. Is a Dornier Book

9. Is Defiant paint masks for the Airfix kit

10. Is Eduard Etch for the Defiant Airfix kit

I think that says it all maybe as far as Aifix and there new kits are concerned?

Hi

For me revell achieve a level of detail at a price i can afford, I have the 1:32 Ju 88's and HE III 's

likewise the airfix 1:24 typhoon fits my bill

I was hoping the HK mosquito would to, but for me it is to expensive.

the airfix 1:24 mosquito will give me more modelling for my money.

Maybe if the HK mosquito gets discounted a lot it maybe a more 'value' purchase for my hobby budget

I wonder how much the 1:32 lanc will be, if the mossie appears to be priced at 152Gbp

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

As for the BP Defiant by Airfix - I go by what I see on the shelves of my local stockists - Airfix may sell them but are they sold out of the stockists branches...and believe me I do talk to major model sellers and most were disappointed the Defiant was released...if Hannantas are selling the add ons then well done them...they also sold 170 HK B17's before it was released. Everything is relative.

Major model sellers? Who?