BR52 questions

Madhatter

Hi all

I have the Trumpeter 1/35 BR52 and want to do some detailing on it.

I am hoping someone can help with the following questions:

1) What is the train scale (HO, N, O etc) equivalent of 1/35?

2) What would be the right sized "coal" to buy for the BR52's tender?

3) Does anyone know the sizes of the actual nuts and bolts on the chassis that surround the wheel axles (if that's the correct term) and what size would they need to be for 1/35? Does Archer make the appropriate sized dry transfer that could cover that or would I need to buy a punch and die set like the RP Tools Hex set?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Si

Hi, Madhatter

I seldom visit this section, but I have some experiences about trains and hope to be of help.

Short answers

1) None of this scale corresponds to 1/35 (O scale is 1/43,5)

2) 2 through 2,5 mm should be ok

3) generally the bolts are 25 to 35 mm, so dividing by the scale ratio they should be 0,7 to 1 mm.

Regarding the bolts and rivets you will find this link useful: link1. Yes it is in Italian, but it is a good source of suggestion.

I also noticed that the internet is quite full of images of this "Lokomotive". Take a look here: link2.

Best regards

Eugenio

Gauge 1 is the closest and that is 1/32 with a track gauge of 44.45mm. The best thing you can do with the coal is put a lump into a bag and give it a good bash with a hammer until it looks the right size, the last thing you want is "standard" size lumps in your tender..

Gauge 1 Scale 38 inch to 1 foot
ca. 10 mm to 1 ft Scale ratio ca. 1:32 Model gauge 1.75 in (44.45 mm) Prototype gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm)standard gauge

Smudge

hey thanks for the info guys - I really do appreciate that! I have the Prime Portal site already saved, but thankyou none the less. Best photos to use really! Especially now that my LZ parts have arrived and I have no idea where some of these parts go as the instructions are...shall we say - incomplete. I did mention that to the guy who owns LZ and he told me that some parts are for different locos and that it's more about offering more freedom to build those particular engines with those parts. I just wish I knew where those parts went :)

I'm sure I will have more questions later, but thanks again for the info guys

Si

• 10 months later...

Hi again

I'm dragging this one back up because I have another question about the BR52 that I am hoping someone who knows about this engine can help me with.

The big spring that runs on a slope downward toward the left hand side steam cylinder - what is it actually for and what does it attach to at the bottom?I have look

ed and looked and looked and then looked some more at every photo I can find on the 52 and not one of them show me what it actually attaches to. I could copy other modellers who've placed it on theirs but I can not be sure they were 100% correct. I do not want to copy someone elses mistake.

Does anyone know? If I knew what it actually did, that might make it easier to figure out where it attaches to.

I am assuming it's something to do with the braking system

Thank you for any help you can render

MH

Hi, MH

I suppose you are refering to the black spring in this picture.

If you look at this other one, you see where it is linked.

In this third photo, you almost see the other end of the spring linked to something that has to do with the "direction reverse system" (if it is so named in english).

I'm refering to those devices, activated by the wheel in the cabin, that invert the steam flow in the cylinders to reverse from forward to backward.

It can be that the spring retains the levers alternatively in both positions.

Bye

Eugenio

Edited by 72linerlover
  • Like 1

Thank you Eugenio! very useful. I have also been advised of another potential for it's use - being the steam cylinder drain cocks. either way, they seem attached to the cylinders which is the info I was looking for.

Thankyou so much for your help - it's hugely appreciated

Si

Good thing I didn't do any work on it the yesterday then. Thanks for that Eugenio. I think then that it must attach to the structure above and behind the cylinder. I really need to show pics of what I mean....

Thank you though for that pic

MH

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi, Madhatter
I seldom visit this section, but I have some experiences about trains and hope to be of help.
Short answers
1) None of this scale corresponds to 1/35 (O scale is 1/43,5)
2) 2 through 2,5 mm should be ok
3) generally the bolts are 25 to 35 mm, so dividing by the scale ratio they should be 0,7 to 1 mm.
Regarding the bolts and rivets you will find this link useful: link1. Yes it is in Italian, but it is a good source of suggestion.
I also noticed that the internet is quite full of images of this "Lokomotive". Take a look here: link2.
Best regards
Eugenio

Sometimes I really hate the variety of scales, they should have agreed to a few major scales for all kinds of reralistic models ...