Nichimo Closing down

Julien

Just saw in an email from Hobbylink Japan that Nichimo is calling it a day.

Farewell, old friend!

In business since 1951, Nichimo has decided to call it a day...and although they haven't released any new kits in decades, Nichimo kits have always been a staple of hobby shop shelves here in Japan, and have always enjoyed good international sales through HobbyLink Japan. We've just received our very last stock of kits from them, so please check out the remaining selection and grab 'em while we still got 'em!

Julien

• Sad 1

A bit sad. I've got their 1/200 yamato, which I'm building slowly. Not the most accurate kit, but its still pretty fantastic that they set about to build it. I'm sure that mold will find a new home; its the weird odd scale stuff that we will likely never see again: (1/30 tanks, 1/500 ships)

I've fond memories of building their 1/48 Ki-45 in the early 1980s. Not that detailed by modern standards, but the finesse of the kit left a big impression on the teenage me,

I bought another at SMW a couple of years ago for a nostalgia build (which hasn't happened yet),

Cheers,

Bill.

Don't be like that, I have one half fought built?

Well I did one (a Lindberg 'Black Arrows') age 11 and it went together a treat and was in the scrap yard the following week as always. I'm 64 now so that gives an idea of the kits age.

Lets be honest, PM were absolutely diabolical so that's not a miss, I can't talk on behalf of Nichimo but I hope it's got nothing to do with lack of people buying kits, im sure it doesn't. My PM freedom fighter is a joke, I bought it because I didn't believe they were that bad, but wow. It may as well be flat plastic in the shape of the plane as the detail is practical non existent.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for posting this info. Any information about Nichimo is or was scarce as they were a bit obscure. Their most well-known kit, the Yamato in 1/200, I never got my hands on (and I'm not sure I want to) but I have one each of their other 1/200 naval vessels. After amassing those kits, I got curious about Nichimo's status myself a few years ago but no one knew anything and they had no company website to speak of.

It's sad to see them finally defunct. :weep:

• 4 weeks later...

The Nichimo range of 1/20th scale aircraft are impressive, in particular their Hughes 500 helicopter. It appears to be very accurate and given that it appears to have been moulded in the 1970's, must have been the state-of-the-art for the time. It remains to this day one of the most impressive helicopter kits ever released. They seem to pop up on ebay every once in a while and go for prices between $100-$400! It is a pity to see Nichimo and their 500 go.

BM.

• Like 1

The Nichimo range of 1/20th scale aircraft are impressive, in particular their Hughes 500 helicopter.

So were their 1/48th scale Japanese WWII types (not the Jake :lol:) .

Unfortunately for them kit standards were raised considerably since the 70s and they were left behind years ago... :whistle:

The Nick was a nice kit with surface detail on a par with the Otaki WW11 moulds. It was fairly simple but impressive when finished.

Their 1/48th scale Spitfire IX looked a lot like the Monogram kit...

John