Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

Well Fozzy, stupid you ain't

Talented however you definitely are

I really am gobsmacked at just how 'real' she is looking

If I was wearing it (It's drying off on the radiator in truth) I'd doff the chapeau :thumbsup:

wonderful work

so uncannily realistic

my!

b

Well Fozzy, stupid you ain't

Talented however you definitely are

I really am gobsmacked at just how 'real' she is looking

If I was wearing it (It's drying off on the radiator in truth) I'd doff the chapeau :thumbsup:

wonderful work

so uncannily realistic

my!

b

Bill ...your too kind!....but I thank you all the same :)

Fozzy - this looks fantastic! Excellent scratching skills. If I might make 3 observations (not that you'll probably care by this stage) but..

the nose (where it joins the nose transparency) isn't circular on the real thing - it is shaped like a 'U' at the bottom.

the fuselage is actually flattened in front of the cockpit to aid the pilot/co-pilot and give them a greater view ahead

the area underneath the bombardier's seat was actually clear perspex to allow a visual inspection of the chin turret guns

Also - modern restorations don't have the heating / hot air tube for the nose transparency, so you'll need to add that..

Hope you don't take that the wrong way! I have hundreds of photos still if you need any detail shots...

Rich

Fozzy - this looks fantastic! Excellent scratching skills. If I might make 3 observations (not that you'll probably care by this stage) but..

the nose (where it joins the nose transparency) isn't circular on the real thing - it is shaped like a 'U' at the bottom.

the fuselage is actually flattened in front of the cockpit to aid the pilot/co-pilot and give them a greater view ahead

the area underneath the bombardier's seat was actually clear perspex to allow a visual inspection of the chin turret guns

Also - modern restorations don't have the heating / hot air tube for the nose transparency, so you'll need to add that..

Hope you don't take that the wrong way! I have hundreds of photos still if you need any detail shots...

Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for your input and of course I don't take your comments the wrong way!

I take on board that the shape at the front end is not as accurate as I would have liked.....I did notice this some time ago but alas there is nothing I can do about it now...I would literally have to start again!...and I don't think I could do that!....in fact at the beginning of this build I thought that I had taken on a project far beyond my capabilities...but nevertheless thought I would test myself to the limits!!...for example I am dreading placing the nose glass on!!!....but I think when scratch building something there are many moments of dread!! :unsure: ....so I take it one day at a time.

I know about the heating /hot air tube for the nose glass ..that will go on at a later stage near the end of the build when I attempt to place the two halves together!!.........as for the clear perspex under the Bombardiers seat....you got me there!!....I have spent many an hour studying that area and missed it!....you haven't got a picture have you?

Jeez...I am rattling on! :blah:

Thanks for your input Rich...I appreciate it...I mean that is one of the reasons I post on this forum

Cheers

Fozzy - Hi. Glad no offence taken! To be honest, when I made my Fort I also missed the shape of the nose opening - I decided I could live with it....ditto the flattened area in front of the pilots. I just thought I would share what others were pointing out in a thread about the accuracy of the HK kit, plus my own observations after looking at bloody fortress pics for 18 months on end!

The clear perspex - I've only found one photo - it's in the walk around book if memory serves (either that one of the wings and wheels special book) - I think I lent those two to someone over on LSP (Derek Bradshaw) but I will check for you...

Rich

more info - I was advised that the interior of the nose should be natural metal for WWII Forts, an that the dark bronze green (and variations thereof) applied to restorations is innacurate....I came to the conclusion that it depends who you talk to (and I guess production batches & manufacturers). I ended up painting mine dark bronze green...

also - here's a useful pic of the nose glass heating pipe (with the yellow arrow)

Picture8-2_zps34b58f601_zpsd377bb12.png

• Like 1

Thanks Rich....you have opened a can of worms with the plexi glass!!! :rolleyes: ...the pictures I have are of a wooden cover over the glass to protect it....that's where I went wrong!!!!....but you know in my Fort the Bombardier has covered the glass...with a wooden panel...to protect the glass!!! :wicked:

As for the interior paint work ...you are right some say this and some say that....mine is staying green!....

Thanks for the photos

Cheers

Hi...

I am still fighting brave in the battle of the internal construction ;) ....so far so good!

Living in the back waters of Bulgaria it is almost impossible to find a supply store of any description...I mean my nearest super market is a round 100km trip!!....and so one has to improvise......

mb001_zps369e1a00.jpg

Yes...these are Bulgarian yogurt pots which I will utilize into plastic cards......plastic card is very expensive as you know and since I cant get hold of any ...this will do. In fact there isn't much difference...so use yogurt pots for all your scratch building!!!

So I have made a start on the side walls of the upper half of the fuselage......lots yet to do......

mb002_zps60bf3e1c.jpg

mb003_zps30c9a2af.jpg

will post again when I have got a bit further with it.......cheers!

• Like 5

Yogurty pots!

Blimey fozzy that makes it even scarier, wot u do.

Mind you, that's a fine reason not to migrate

No plasticard for zillions of miles, I wouldnt like that at all

:weep:

But notwithstanding 'the yogurt' its brilliant workmanship

Oh yes. I'm not a fan of yogurt, any flavour.

:)

b

Yogurty pots!

Blimey fozzy that makes it even scarier, wot u do.

Mind you, that's a fine reason not to migrate

No plasticard for zillions of miles, I wouldnt like that at all

:weep:

But notwithstanding 'the yogurt' its brilliant workmanship

Oh yes. I'm not a fan of yogurt, any flavour.

:)

b

Ha ha Bill :D ....I not keen on yogurt either...but I need the cartons!!!...cheers!

• Like 1

Well, I would never have predicted that as a follow-up to the SE5. Looking fantastic. Keep up the good work!

(I've been a bit slow catching up on this one.)

Hi there Quentin....good to have you on board!.....yes its a bit different to the old buses...but I thought that this project would really tax me......and it is!!!....

Well, you have just done me a great favour.

There I was, looking despondently at my glacial progress on plumbing a 1:72nd Lightning undercarriage bay, and thinking that all of these tiny pipes and wires are going to be invisible, what a waste of time.

But I looked once more at your amazing thread and thought: "Yes! If he can do that, I can do this incredibly simple job!! It is worth it!"

And I went back to my plasticard a more motivated chap.

Thanks again for the entertainment and inspiration mate!

• Like 1

thats insane. thats some amazing modeling....ouch it hurts so good. Just saw this plane at my modeling club meeting yesterday, the size of this plane is rather impressive.

oliver

Well, you have just done me a great favour.

There I was, looking despondently at my glacial progress on plumbing a 1:72nd Lightning undercarriage bay, and thinking that all of these tiny pipes and wires are going to be invisible, what a waste of time.

But I looked once more at your amazing thread and thought: "Yes! If he can do that, I can do this incredibly simple job!! It is worth it!"

And I went back to my plasticard a more motivated chap.

Thanks again for the entertainment and inspiration mate!

Cheers mate....yes it does seem as if..."whats the point" at times...especially when you cant see all the chuffing detail ....but...even though you know no body will ever see it...YOU know its there!!!

seriously....for once forget the expensive plastic card and have a go at using yogurt pots...even if you cant get on with it and it turns out rubbish....well no one will see will they?!! ;)

thats insane. thats some amazing modeling....ouch it hurts so good. Just saw this plane at my modeling club meeting yesterday, the size of this plane is rather impressive.

oliver

Thanks Oliver

...and talking of amazing modelling....a certain Huey springs to mind mate!

Very interesting ! Interiors looks very realistic.

Cheers mate :)

Good afternoon chaps

Small progress has been achieved since my last posting......I started constructing the interior wall details on the top half of the fuselage .....................

gds011_zpsb35150bf.jpg

...when my mind was distracted by this............

nose-of-ab17_zps9abb7ca1.jpg

I was looking at photos of the real deal and particularly at the window aperture for the 50 cal gun!....and I thought ....s###...how am I going to replicate that!! :weep:

Well "I did me best guvnor" and here is the end result...............

hb004_zps7c0d2735.jpg

km007_zps50789110.jpg

gds022_zpsf2f8ae63.jpg

gds015_zps655f68e3.jpg

gds013_zpsdb8aba57.jpg

not 100% accurate.......... but nor is the rest of this build!!! ;) ....I will attach the window construction over the window aperture when the two halves are together....one day!! :whistle:

That's one window done.....now to do the other one!!!

cheers

• Like 3