Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

Hi Fozzy,

it's great to see you back at the worktable and this crazy project.

The pictures of the broken down cockpit section are heartbreaking ... :weep:

Be assured that I won't miss the end of this story, just like most of the others following your thread. :popcorn:

Good luck, keep your patience, and think of Telford.

Jürgen

Cheers Jurgen......your right that this is a crazy project and yes it was heartbreaking having to redo the cockpit walls...but it just had to be done else there would be more problems further on!! :(

Crikey, can't believe how you just ripped that apart, brave move, but we have faith in you :)

I'm glad someone has Woody!! :unsure:

Incredible work..! Loving this post

Thanks Marty!

Hi to all

hope everyone is fine and happily modelling away!! :)

Okay........so after the nightmare of the last post I have managed to get the control columns finished and installed!

I am pleased that I took the time to adjust the cockpit walls as now the control columns sit in their place nicely .

Here are the columns painted and ready to be installed..............................

tt001_zps10df2689.jpg

The little canvas boots on the bottom of the sticks were a bit of a pain to replicate....I decided to use some stretchy tissue...here they are in the process of being made............................

tt006_zpsed1a15af.jpg

Next up was the rudder trim tab wheel and the locking handles.....of course I forgot to drill out the holes for the locking handles to sit in ...should have done that ages ago when I was constructing the floors :doh: ...so it took longer than it should have done because I was trying not to smash everything else in the drills path!!...I managed to get the holes drilled and built the wheel and handles out of scrap plastic....................

g001_zps79bdf772.jpg

So here is a shot of the parts built ...............................

g002_zps71a5b2ee.jpg

So here we have a few shots/angles of the control columns...WARNING....photo heavy!! ..... ;)

l1_zpsd4491d00.jpg

g008_zps4274e629.jpg

l3_zps04052cef.jpg

g016_zps3e53bc14.jpg

l_zpsa8b4ac85.jpg

l2_zpse1fa98b1.jpg

I have to say that I am very pleased with the way it is looking in the cockpit so far......when I have signed off here I am going to start on the pilot/co pilot seats and frames.

Thanks guys for taking the time to have a nose at this nutty project!! :rolleyes:

bye for now

Fozzy

• Like 9

As ever when I look into this place I get this feeling of awe

I can almost hear her engines ( I KNOW, WHAT ENGINES? ) rumbling before take off

Simply does NOT look like modelling by any definitions I can imagine

love this art work Fozzy

b

• 2 weeks later...

Hi every one...thanks a lot for all your comments :) ..I have been away for a short break in Istanbul (just up the road from me!)...I have a small update that I will post tomorrow with a bit of luck

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 1

Hi every one...thanks a lot for all your comments :) ..I have been away for a short break in Istanbul (just up the road from me!)...I have a small update that I will post tomorrow with a bit of luck

Cheers

Fozzy

We have missed you :D

Also you inspired me to do a scratchbuilt Vulcan cockpit (link in signature if you want) and I will start tomorrow on a side project of a space shuttle cockpit which I think is a bit more squarer looking than everything else and easier to do :)

Keep up the good work sire!

Sam

Edited by cathasatail

Afternoon everyone!

Okay then...I have managed to scratch build the seat frames for the time being...the actual seats will be built and fitted later this week....with a bit of luck of course ;)

After studying the real seat frames I got some scrap plastic together and had a go.......................

j006_zps47ae010f.jpg

Edited by Fozzy

Looks heaps better with some colour on!!....................

j003_zps73233355.jpg

j005_zps05f7f2ef.jpg

j004_zps7e80c85f.jpg

I have placed them temporarily in the cockpit to see how they looked.....here are they are...................

j007_zps0fb9992c.jpg

j011_zps0a785f34.jpg

j010_zpsc37daf5a.jpg

j013_zps2d2a8e59.jpg

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 4

Here are some shots with the top of the fuselage in place...................

k1_zps781db4ef.jpg

g_zps36c4f8e7.jpg

j002_zps0d9adb7f.jpg

k_zps21306c32.jpg

I am now going to light my gas burner to anneal a coca cola can to make it easier to mould the seats....well that's the plan...it might not work of course!! :unsure: ...we shall see!

See you on the next post

Thanks for looking in :)

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 6

He's doing it again! Stop posting photos of the real thing!!!

Seriously... awesome work on those seat frames, so convincing!

Cheers Kallisti...will be posting the seats very soon ;)

Hi

Haven't posted for a while because here in Bulgaria there has been terrible storms and floods which un fortunately caught me out whilst taking my Wife to the Airport.....I got trapped in the floods and my car broke down in the middle of no where! :( The wife was not impressed as we missed the flight!...so I have been away from the office and fixing the car etc!!

However.....I got to get to the bench in the last couple of days and so...............

Time for another update!

I managed to get the bucket seats finished.

I started to anneal a coca cola can and got cutting and shaping when I stopped and decided that it would be a lot easier to make the seats out of plastic card :rolleyes: !!............here they are................

m004_zpsb2163eac.jpg

m005_zps7826af46.jpg

I took a few photo's of them on the frames........................

m002_zps4c11a09b.jpg

m9_zps6afc55c8.jpg

m006_zps0767c0ef.jpg

I just had to see what they looked like in the cockpit ;)

b012_zps0a5633b8.jpg

m012_zpsf7395917.jpg

m008_zpsc21d65c1.jpg

post continues ..................................

• Like 7