Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

Hello guys

I'm afraid that total scratch building has reared its ugly head and has given me no end of problems! :(:banghead:

The problem is...other than the two fuselage halves not in alignment (as pointed out in the last post!!)...but now I have a problem with the top half of the Cockpit side walls.....I made a couple of control columns...and I know that they are in scale with the rest of the cockpit but they both butt up to the tops of the side walls!!...... :weep:

Now I think I can rectify this ....all be it a pain in the a#@e...I just wish that I had spotted the error before I did all the side wall detail :(

This is going to take a bit of time and the build will have to go on hold whilst I try to fix the problem!.....to try and keep calm about it all I have started to build an OOB old Revell kit of a Tornado ECR "Tiger meet"....this hopefully will keep me sane in between ripping apart all the work I have done in the cockpit and re building it all up again!!!......Very depressing to say the least!!

I knew I would come across some problems to be solved on this build at some point..... I guess that's the nature of the scratch building beast! :(

Having said all that ...I have started to make the Control columns and I thought I would show you how I put them together..........

So after having a look in all my cardboard boxes of odds and ends I came across some plastic cocktail sticks that I must have used one evening in a drucken stupor but managed to be sober enough to bring them home in my pocket for the use of model making one day....and ...brilliant ...just the correct scale for the columns them selves!!..................

controlcolumn_zps8ec98d89.jpg

You can see in this next photo how I am going to use them.................................

controlcolumn1_zps761994f4.jpg

So I cut them to length and sanded and shaped the tops of them................

controlcolumn2_zps7ce96c4e.jpg

started to add some detail.........

controlcolumn3_zps3ee26809.jpg

....and some more detail using my favorite material......wire !.........

controlcolumn4_zps53cf436b.jpg

nearly there........

controlcolumn5_zps7405f052.jpg

...........more wire required!................

controlcolumn6_zps129b4e99.jpg

here is the start of the wheels them selves..........

controlcolumn7_zpsbcffd7b7.jpg

....and here is the wheel..........

controlcolumn8_zpse554c1b1.jpg

....and finally the control column complete.....................

controlcolumn9_zps7afa46f5.jpg

Of course they will look a lot more realistic....I hope....when they have been painted....but that will have to wait another day!

I have got to get my knife out now and rip off the cockpit side walls ...and all the chuffing detail I have done....so wish me luck lads!! ;)

I will be back when I have cracked it........................

Fozzy

• Like 6

Hi there

Well .....I managed to fix the problem with the cockpit dimensions and I think that when I place the control columns in place they wont brush against the side walls as they did before!.... :unsure: ...well they better not else there will be trouble!! :fight:

Here are the unpleasant to look at photos of the reconstruction!!!........................

x004_zps11ba18a7.jpg

k003_zps9ea390d9.jpg

l002_zps3874add3.jpg

f002_zps56bee08e.jpg

r001_zps3371fe83.jpg

...........and all back together again..........

tt004_zps33286a23.jpg

So now I am back to where I was a few days ago.....lets hope there are no other issues! :unsure:

Next post I will have the control columns in place.

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

• Like 5

Thanks lads for your interest in my cocking things up!! ;) ....normal modelling will resume soon!!!

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 1

Thanks guys......

Brian...if I would to carry on and build the rest of this B17G I would never have time to model anything else!....so many ideas...so little time and all that!!

Ian...thanks for noticing my typing error!!!...I shall edit it straight away and go to the back of the class!!!

Hi Fozzy,

it's great to see you back at the worktable and this crazy project.

The pictures of the broken down cockpit section are heartbreaking ... :weep:

Be assured that I won't miss the end of this story, just like most of the others following your thread. :popcorn:

Good luck, keep your patience, and think of Telford.

Jürgen

Edited by Jürgen